Current Page: 1 of 2
Website -- still utterly embarrasing.
Posted by: blucherquin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 13:52

I happened upon all this by accident while renewing.

Firstly -- anyone remember the "Members Area"?

Not that I care now or before, since it was always clearly such a terrible idea.

But given that it was launched with such a fanfare.

2018 -- nothing posted there at all
2017 -- 4 things, all posted on August 15 2017, all of which are one sentence and in the members pack anyway
2016 -- last time there was anything on "members tv", Sept 2016, last "news" post comes from April in that year.

Best bit -- "coaches corner", just a blank page. How appropriate.

Second -- under the "Heritage" tab. A wonderful article that no one has looked at in two years because it contains the following section in the first 6 paragraphs.

"Work is expected to be complete in time for the celebration of the clubís 150th anniversary in 2016. Please monitor this website for further announcements about the heritage programme."

They clearly forgot their own advice.

Finally -- the last update to "you said, we did" was December 2016, which is clearly ridiculous because I specifically wrote in January 2017 and asked for us to play progressively worse rugby, throw in 3/4 wins to give false hope to a few JK fans, then breakdown into chaos, disharmony and ultimately total collapse by the end of the 2017/18 season.

Re: Website -- still utterly embarrasing.
Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 13:59

Quote:
blucherquin

Finally -- the last update to "you said, we did" was December 2016, which is clearly ridiculous because I specifically wrote in January 2017 and asked for us to play progressively worse rugby, throw in 3/4 wins to give false hope to a few JK fans, then breakdown into chaos, disharmony and ultimately total collapse by the end of the 2017/18 season.

So there we go. After months of shouts of JK and/or Ellis out, we now know from his own evidence that it was all BQís fault :p

Posted by: HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 14:02

I dint really bother with the site anymore, think its cack

Posted by: Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 14:52

Sotic don't have a clue about how to make a website user friendly.

Date: 17 May, 2018 15:29

Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Sotic don't have a clue about how to make a website user friendly.

User friendly is one thing - leaving large public sections totally untouched and out of date for two years is just embarrassing.

Members area should have been quietly deleted, but having a heritage section thatís been left with ďcheck back for our 2016 updatesĒ is shameful.

Posted by: QuinAlan (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 16:12

I'm sure uncle Dave will sort it out soon, as his finger is right on the button! #Get Closer!

Posted by: NicoWilson (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 16:14

Donít get me started on how many times I need to log in to sell my seat......

Posted by: Grunge Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 16:52

Whoever runs the media/facebook/website needs shooting,

I had a chuckle at their latest video begging for ST renewls, with some hilarious montage of the stoop match day experience. Lots of clips of smiling people, but it somewhat lacked panoramic queues of the bar, shots of fans in despair due to woeful defending or just the good old fashioned sad faced JK.

Date: 17 May, 2018 18:07

Iím going to write it out again on its own just because I canít get over it....

One of the most famous rugby clubs in the world has a website. The club celebrated its 150th anniversary and quite rightly made massive deal of it.

On the only website of this legendary club, sponsored by major global brands like Adidas and DHL, they created a ďheritageĒ section for anyone (fans, future fans or just people interested) wanting to know about the 150 year history of the club. A showcase for the brand, nostglaia and a celebration of its history,

It says check for updates in 2016.

And it still does. On the first page, in the first few paragraphs.

And no one noticed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 19:37 by blucherquin.

Posted by: Bossman99 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 18:41

I interviewed for a role there a few months ago, on their content team. Told them how, as a season ticket holder of 20 years and big Quins fan, I knew what sort of things I wanted to see; as a professional in exactly that sector (extensive journalism, multimedia, broadcast, comms/press officer etc in my job history), I knew how to do it. They seemed to get very defensive when I pointed out how behind their website and social channels were (noting how, for example, Marland Yarde was still being used prominently on the imagery of a few static web pages when he had acrimoniously left the club a couple of months earlier; how their rolling content reader on the homepage crops images by covering the left side with a stupid quartered logo so that often the subject of the image is not in shot or if itís a graphic, half of it is covered so it no longer makes sense). In fairness, my mitigation was that pretty much every rugby club is way behind the curve so they could very quickly play catch up. But the marketing lady basically wanted every piece of content to be an advert pushing ticket sales, whereas I was advocating doing 75% of the content, both written and social, as just good and insightful stuff that people want to see and read - you have to earn the right to push sales links at them, and you grow an audience organically by doing good stuff. Suffice to say, they have gone in another direction, and donít seem to have got any better either in their content or their messaging (admittedly, it is hard to market a club in such a tailspin as Quins have been in for the last six months).

The members and tickets parts of the website are a similar horror show, and betray a lack of care and attention to detail. I donít think we should overanalyse it or use it as a microcosm for how the club is run, but it is fair to expect it to be better.

Date: 17 May, 2018 19:39

Iíd certainly expect whoever is responsible for the website to have checks its contents since the start of 2016.

Posted by: DOK (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 19:58

The trouble with running a website is exactly as you specify, BQ. It's tempting to throw together stuff in the first flush of enthusiasm that later on you wish you'd never begun. As you say it needs a good root and branch review to get rid of the dead wood.

ComeAllWithin can hardly claim to be up to date and fully responsive to members needs, but I did at least do a major reorg at the start of the season as to what I wanted to keep and what was past it's sell by date.

Posted by: FGGQuin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 20:44

Agreed Blucherquin, the website is awful and has consistently remained so despite a few "upgrades" over the years. I had forgotten how pathetic the "members area" was until you mentioned it. It's the "little things". I often notice that it can take several days if not weeks to update the results section. Another example is on details of pre-season friendlies. I routinely google Harlequins and friendly then look at the opposition club's site for information because I know they will be more up to date than Quins.

Dare I suggest if we spent a fraction of the time and money we do on initiatives like US Rugby on just getting our website working properly it would give a much more helpful and professional impression of the club to supporters and the outside world.

Posted by: The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 20:50

Quote:
QuinAlan
I'm sure uncle Dave will sort it out soon, as his finger is right on the button! #Get Closer!

Because he's responsible for that too? Along with the hiring and firing, the coaching, the team management, the club finances, the matchday experience, the kit, the marketing, the contract re/negotiations, the programme publishing, and the sausage cooking.

Posted by: QuinAlan (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 21:09

Don't get me started on the sausage cooking..!!!

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 22:20

Quote:
Bossman99
I interviewed for a role there a few months ago, on their content team. Told them how, as a season ticket holder of 20 years and big Quins fan, I knew what sort of things I wanted to see; as a professional in exactly that sector (extensive journalism, multimedia, broadcast, comms/press officer etc in my job history), I knew how to do it. They seemed to get very defensive when I pointed out how behind their website and social channels were (noting how, for example, Marland Yarde was still being used prominently on the imagery of a few static web pages when he had acrimoniously left the club a couple of months earlier; how their rolling content reader on the homepage crops images by covering the left side with a stupid quartered logo so that often the subject of the image is not in shot or if itís a graphic, half of it is covered so it no longer makes sense). In fairness, my mitigation was that pretty much every rugby club is way behind the curve so they could very quickly play catch up. But the marketing lady basically wanted every piece of content to be an advert pushing ticket sales, whereas I was advocating doing 75% of the content, both written and social, as just good and insightful stuff that people want to see and read - you have to earn the right to push sales links at them, and you grow an audience organically by doing good stuff. Suffice to say, they have gone in another direction, and donít seem to have got any better either in their content or their messaging (admittedly, it is hard to market a club in such a tailspin as Quins have been in for the last six months).
The members and tickets parts of the website are a similar horror show, and betray a lack of care and attention to detail. I donít think we should overanalyse it or use it as a microcosm for how the club is run, but it is fair to expect it to be better.

Get your gist.

Proof is personal
Understatement sells
People buy they arenít sold to

Posted by: The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 22:45

Quote:
QuinAlan
Don't get me started on the sausage cooking..!!!

PMSL! Touche ;-)

Posted by: Rocker (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 23:04

The Web site is and has been terrible for years. The most basic information that should be front and centre is the date and time of the next match. The rest of the nonsense on there is down to terrible planning and woeful PR. The comms side of the club is frankly embarrassing despite the time and effort (& no doubt money) they seen to spend on you tube BS etc.

Posted by: akb1 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 08:04

So much is wrong with the website but one thing that really annoys me is the stadium plan in the ticketing area. To me it looks the wrong way round. I.e. the south stand is in the top right corner north stand bottom left. It just looks wrong to me.

Posted by: Stoquin (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 08:39

If the website was any good people may actually look at it for information or up dates about the club but people come on here, this thread has nearly 800 hits, doesn't that or shouldn't that tell the club that there is a core of people who crave regular information however suspect it might be!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net