Current Page: 1 of 2
Possible Messageboard replacement
Posted by: DOK (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 10:12

Many thanks to those who have PMd me over the last few days.

This site seems to have most of the things I want (including a working search function).

Interestingly a user can block another user and never see posts from them again. I can think of a few punning types I could use this for!

If you can't be bothered to register (I may can the whole project) then there's a user test1 password test1 you can play with. Have a look at the user profile options, they're more comprehensive than here.

This is a knocked together late at night site, so you may find some holes in it.

Re: Possible Messageboard replacement
Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 11:05

Seems good to me Kim.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Posted by: Rocker (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 15:16

Looks OK

Posted by: Hellequin (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 15:24

Looks nice and simple. No problems loading on Android on mobile setting or Desktop view. Like the option for seeing unread posts.

And no annoying adverts popping up or taking over a large proportion of the screen.

Posted by: never sleep (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 16:17

Presumably there is a cost for this. From reading - there are monthly costs for keeping it ad-free and also using more than 250mb of storage.
Is this a different pricing system to the current board?

Also, is there any possibility of migrating the current board - or would the only option be to let the current board cease to exist by not posting any articles?

Date: 08 June, 2018 16:54

I can't see us running over storage on new board, so I would hope it is free. If it gets an issue we'll move some of the storage elsewhere and just link to it.

Actually, sportnetwork pay the site owners to run the site, it's about £100ish a year. Currently that goes to prof and I believe he uses it for the odd beer for QUINSSA, odd expenses like the ComeAllWithin domain and so on. We'd lose that income but frankly for a better site I'd pay it myself.

It does use advertising, but that seems to consist of about an inch of the page at the top. Nowhere near as intrusive as the current site.

I can't see how we can simply migrate the current board. I'll ask the SN team, but I doubt they have any reason to be helpful. If there's anything particular you want saved/replicated I'm sure we can do it manually.

Posted by: Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 10:49

Looks good to me, let’s do it!!!!

Posted by: The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 23:17

I'm keen if you are.

Posted by: gregory p (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 08:40

It looks good and does indeed have slight retro feel to it. I'm half expecting the mighty Julian to start posting again.

I am possibly the least techie person in south west London so I'm disenfranchised when it comes to saying yes or no, but I'd be happy with it.

Posted by: PickledPelican (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 09:43

Looks good...

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 11:32

I've never managed to post a photo on here but have managed it on the new one. Hoorah!

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Posted by: 23Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 16:14

I've had this site set up for a couple of years and it offers a more customised forum, more than happy for you to use it or I can set up one like that.

On the forum you can like posts, mention users and you get alerts when people quote your posts etc

[forum.viewfromthe22.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 16:16 by 23Shark.

Date: 10 June, 2018 16:14

Quote:
gregory p
It looks good and does indeed have slight retro feel to it. I'm half expecting the mighty Julian to start posting again.

(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)

Solid gold! Chapeau!

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2018 07:14

More later!

Date: 11 June, 2018 21:57

God, that takes me back...

Date: 11 June, 2018 22:47

Yes, but part of the retro feel is because it's a clean display. SportNetwork are close to extracting the Michael with the way they do adverts while you are trying to read the message board. I have an adblocker, but when I have to live without it (like at work) the experience is pretty terrible.

Posted by: Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2018 08:13

Hope we can still run a Prediction League.

Date: 12 June, 2018 10:28

Well we ought to be able to find a rugby prediction league that isn't as obscure as the SportNetwork one. Fancy that being your task for the summer BB ?

Posted by: 23Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2018 10:55

If you set up a wordpress site then it's possible to run your own as there's a prediction league software, it's easily customisable.

Date: 12 June, 2018 12:43

Quote:
23Shark
If you set up a wordpress site then it's possible to run your own as there's a prediction league software, it's easily customisable.

You're a star, thanks!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net