Funny idea of an offseason
Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 11:10

Sainst are back doing their preseason, but not all of them.

I was surprised to read that a Pacific Islands cup game took place between Fiji and Samoa at the wekeend and amongst those taking part, though thankfully only as bench, were Ace (Ahsee Tuala) and Api (won't bother). Kahn was starting for Samoa.

What on earth are they doing playing games at this point in the season? They will need to rest and recuperate before resuming training for next season, training that is designed to prepare them for the season ahead. Or will they simply jump into the new campaign without a proper rest except for some days on the beach at home? Or was that the holiday, and the island match a preseason friendly, lol?

Add up the players not getting a timetabled preseason at the club and the number will be alarmingly large. We won't be the only club affected in this way, but in what way will we be able to field a matchday 23 without using some of the missing players. How do you reset the club's playing patterns, a desperately needed job, with half the staff missing?

Re: Funny idea of an offseason
Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 11:30

This weekend also saw the end of the regular Super rugby league, so there will be three more Saintly ones that have just "finished" their season?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 11:36

International players dont get much of a break. Perhaps a ristriction on International players in the LV= could give them a break.... But the ever expanding season needs addressing.

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 11:41

World Cup qualifying isn't it? Only a week after the Lions so to much difference. Expect a swathe of players to be unavailable resting for first couple of weeks. Perhaps not a bad time to play Sarries

Posted by: higgy365 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 11:52

Hardly a new situation, is it?

Same every year- Internationals will go and play and need rest after, signings from other leagues won't be available straight away either, and the clubs here have to manage that as part of their preseason programme.

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 12:04

When the RFU/England rugby decline the opportunity for a summer tour or abandon the autumn Internationals, then I will believe that they are taking player welfare seriously.

Posted by: Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 14:01

Could always shorten the domestic season? Just saying! Instead, Prem Rugby want 10 or 11 months. Nothing adds up. Pichot wants Georgia in 6N and Japan in Rugby Championship; Boks are joining the Pro 12; America wants a slice, as do the Pacifics; Super Rugby a shambles. Need some joined-up thinking but none seems to be forthcoming.

Posted by: SaintED (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 15:35

Quote:
Chris Hoddle
This weekend also saw the end of the regular Super rugby league, so there will be three more Saintly ones that have just "finished" their season?

Francis chose a very good game to be unavailable for. Blues absolutely humped by the Sunwolves. Would have been really interesting to see what difference he would have made to the result.

Posted by: SaintMaul (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 20:08

I remember when I backpacked in Australia seeing a map of the world upside down from the way the world is always shown with Australia at the top. It emphasised how much assumptions and pre-conceived thinking we have as there is no reason why the alternative map was wrong.

International rugby takes precedence over club rugby. It's the rugby season on the other side of the planet. The Islanders could equally say why are the English clubs playing during their off season meaning their internationals have very long seasons when it comes to their season.

There's no right or wrongs. Just different perspectives.

Hence why World Rugby are trying to agree a single playing season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2017 20:10 by SaintMaul.

Posted by: twsaint (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 20:38

It's it OK for Southern hemisphere teams to play during their season?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net