Re: Brussow is a go...
Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:47

[quote Nath-coys]Still not sure it is what we need.[/quote

For all we know Woody may be leaving at the end of the season]

Posted by: Abington Adam (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:00

FWF raises a fair point, otherwise I'd be inclined to agree with Nath. There also have to be doubts about what level Brussow will be at after playing at a lower level for several seasons. A top level prop and an 8 would appear to be bigger needs than (another) flanker.

Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:05

How is this going to impact on our academy? We seem to be signing a number of overseas players at the moment.

Posted by: Ishmael (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:19

With Saints healthy contingent of South Africans,will other boards be referring to them as Northampton SAints?*

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:21

If they do Ishmael, it would be fair enough.

I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:53

T has said in the Chron that his preferred position is now 8 - interesting as EJ has stated that he sees him as a 7 for England.

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:54

I'm still not sure what to think of this signing.
He's not a Picamoles replacement, and we have lots of good options at flanker Gibson, Wood, , with Ludlum Breaking through & Courtney as a back up 6. & Teimana recognised by England but not us and struggling to get a game at 7. & of course Nutley as the ever present back up! Don't think flanker was what we needed but I'd love to be proved wrong. If his presence stops Ludlum or Harrison's progress and they move on elsewhere, however , I would be a very bitter fan!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 10:55 by St.Sinner.

Posted by: Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:05

There. Has. To. Be. Competition. For. Places.

Complacency kills.

Sent from the toilet

Posted by: TheGent (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:14

See this as a Matfield-esque signing.

Big players for big games and someone T, Lewis and Ben will improve from in the long term.

He will certainly bring a mental edge if his previous form is any indicator.

A backrow of Wood, Brussow T with Lewis on the bench is right up there in terms of intensity and aggression.

Posted by: Nath-coys (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:18

There. Also. Needs. Too. Be. A. Balance. Too. The. Squad.

Overcrowding of one position causes boredom and stagnation of players who deem themselves surplus too requirements.

We have 5 or 6 very good flankers. But are probably lacking a top number 8.
(Eaddie might be)

We don't have any real top class props in my opinion so to me the Pack is unbalanced.

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:51

Quote:
LeicesterSaint
T has said in the Chron that his preferred position is now 8 - interesting as EJ has stated that he sees him as a 7 for England.
Does he see him in the picture at all I wonder? Of all the players that EJ has tossed aside - rightly or wrongly - I think T must be the most hard done by. Part of the Aussie triumph and then .............

Posted by: Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 12:06

Makes sense to me and a great signing

6. Wood, Gibson
7. Lewis, Brussow
8. Eadie & T

Nutley covers 6 & 7. Lawes and patterson can cover 6 and Gibson and wood can cover 7.

Lewis can learn a lot from Brussow.

Great signing.

Posted by: SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 13:38

Quote:
Lamont4Saints
6. Wood, Gibson
7. Lewis, Brussow
8. Eadie & T

Nutley covers 6 & 7. Lawes and patterson can cover 6 and Gibson and wood can cover 7.

Great signing.

I don't think its quite that straightforward for Lewis. He will be keen to see where he sits in the pecking order over the next few weeks.

He was fit and available for Tigers on the back of a credible full debut, but a pseudo 7 (Gibson) was selected ahead of him. Not a big concern in its own right as he is young, it was a huge game and he needs to be eased in gently and ultimately it got the right result.

I'd expect the same line up on Friday (momentum, tough challenge etc.) but I think the selection for London Irish the week after will give Lewis a much better idea of where he sits in the pecking order.

If he feels he is going to be a genuine one of two with Broussow for the 7 shirt next season I think he will see his future at the club, if on the other hand he is going to be behind Broussow and a bunch of other more senior players who can cover 7 (Wood, Gibson, Harrison) then he will probably feel his future is away from the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.

I really hope that isn't the case as I have said on here before, I rate him highly.

Posted by: Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 13:57

now confirmed on t'offy, make it a story Eds!!! [www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

Sent from the toilet

Date: 13 September, 2017 14:00

The club have made the Brussow signing official, he'll be a Saint from January once the Japanese season finishes.

Date: 13 September, 2017 14:10

Quote:
Lamont4Saints
6. Wood, Gibson
7. Lewis, Brussow
8. Eadie & T

Great signing.

He is a 31 year old whose team was in the Japanese 2nd tier last season. I get the impression that he was superb for the Springboks at the start of the decade, but I'm perplexed as to why this is a great signing in the here and now. I hope he's the best thing since Bruce Reihana, but can anybody honestly say that we know what we're getting with Brussow?

Come January he's a Saint and he'll have my complete support, but I can't really get too excited about this one. It smacks of somebody looking for one last pay cheque and we have a pretty chequered history of late when it comes to overseas signings, many of whom have ended up making up the numbers on Monday nights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 14:11 by Abington Adam.

Posted by: falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 14:13

Can I just say you have a hell of a coup here if he can still perform at the top.

An example of a player we picked up from the Japanese league is Nili Latu, who has been an absolute machine for us.

If Brussow can adapt to the Premiership and still compete at the very top, then you will have a hell of a player that will cause a lot of disruption in open play slowing down ball and giving your defence time to set And just being a pest, but will also just run hard, superb signing.

By the way, as a Newcastle supporter we have loads of foreigners and polynesions in our side and our academy is the strongest it's ever been.

He should/could bring a lot to the club, like Nili has done with ours.

Posted by: StGonne (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 14:29

I think Rugbyinsideline deserves a pat on the back here. Called this signing months ago as with all our other signings. He (she?) clearly has a very reliable contact at the club.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net