We're stepping up the scrum - Mr West
Posted by: lilyg (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 08:35

Re: We're stepping up the scrum - Mr West
Posted by: Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:43

It would be fair to say I know very little about scrum tactics, indeed it could be said I know very little about anything. But..
Our scrum problems are not about last week's referee.We have international players, past and present aplenty but for 2+ seasons have been going backward or conceding penalties, annoyingly often after making hard earned yardage.
Teams know if they pressurise Brooke's and then ease of he will do the now famous bellyflop. Waller walking away shaking his head from each lost scrum must tell a tale.
No I don't know why we have gone from a great scrum to a below average one. Can any ex scrum types enlighten me please?

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 13:40

id slightly disagree on the reffing front. im sure certain teams and individuals gain reputations one way or another and are subject to pre-game discussions between the parties. im no expert but while Brookes may have been at fault for some I though Genge wasn't whiter than white either. JP seemed to have made his mind up from the first scrum. not sure how you break that cycle unless you drop players out of the squad completely

Posted by: Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 14:53

Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Teams know if they pressurise Brooke's and then ease of he will do the now famous bellyflop. Waller walking away shaking his head from each lost scrum must tell a tale.

Most props wlak away shaking their heads when they concede a scrum penalty.

It's a prop trait.

Posted by: shiversaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 15:53

I don't for a minute buy that a ref will suddenly make his mind up and that it's impossible to plan for. It's totally plausible that different refs have different traits in terms of what they look for and interpret, but that on the whole must be relatively consistent. It's a cop out to blame the ref, we're objectively weak in the scrum and have been for a long time now.

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 16:21

Agree ... we didn't seem to blame the ref in our days of relative dominance.
Just sort it out Dorian rather than scratching your head and infering it's mainly the refs fault!

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 16:57

Can we bring Corbs back as a consultant if he's not wanting to play again? He always seemed to be good at adapting to each ref, painting the picture they wanted to see. If that allowed him to attack the opposite prop so be it, otherwise just stay steady and don't leak pens.

Posted by: Stevie Myler's right boot (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 16:58

Been going backwards since Clubber Lang left

Posted by: Chris Parr (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 17:20

watching the game back I thought Waller dominated Cole on the other side of the scrum and if the ref had spent a little more time watching that side we could have won a number of penalties. Cole was constantly hinging when he came under pressure. As an aside I would not be surprised if his England career is over particularly bearing in mind Sinclair's efforts with The Lions. Cole to me looked weary, and disinterested and on another day the petulant throwing of the ball at Bookes? would have earned a yellow.

Posted by: Ady32 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 18:31

Just listened to Dorian on radio where he was saying that the problem was that the Tigers weren't pushing!! I buy that for the first one or two that brookes would fall flat on his face but surely you know next time and push from a different stance. Simples! No need for the ref to get involved !!!!

Posted by: Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 18:56

Brooke's always ends up binding on the arm. I've seen him do it for the past couple of years yet it still goes on?

I'm glad Hill gets a shot at things this weekend

Date: 14 September, 2017 22:31

Quote:
Ady32
Just listened to Dorian on radio where he was saying that the problem was that the Tigers weren't pushing!! I buy that for the first one or two that brookes would fall flat on his face but surely you know next time and push from a different stance. Simples! No need for the ref to get involved !!!!

It's not that simple though is it.. not pushing is an old trick and as you say normally gets sorted. Australia spent 1 full game and extra time in 2003 conning the ref and getting away with it so unless the ref understands what's going on can be quite difficult. I don't think that was going on all game though against the Tigs

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2017 01:43

Walks, perpetuating the 2003 RWC fallacy. I was there and saw England's loose head, forgotten his name, pulling out of binding with his oppo many times, and that was why England were penalised, nothing to do with conning the ref.

Date: 15 September, 2017 07:02

Rubbish.. suggest you watch it again without the anti English glasses on. The aussies didn't want to scrummage all game and Kaplan (?) did stuff all about it. It was only the introduction of Leonard that brought some semblance of normality to it

Date: 15 September, 2017 08:06

Quote:
Eif Jones
Walks, perpetuating the 2003 RWC fallacy. I was there and saw England's loose head, forgotten his name, pulling out of binding with his oppo many times, and that was why England were penalised, nothing to do with conning the ref.

Shame you went all that way to watch then - I had a very good view on the television and think the referee (for whatever reason) could/would not see the problem caused by the Aussies.

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2017 10:30

Eif your rewriting of history is astounding. You could get a job in many countries where there's a market for the skill.

Posted by: Box kick it (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2017 10:56

So let me get this straight. Eif was at the 2003 world cup final watching England. Did he pay for a ticket.

Clearly a closet fan.

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2017 17:42

What took you so long, Dorian?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net