Current Page: 1 of 3
Unbelievable Myler
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 21:11

Re: Unbelievable Myler
Posted by: HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 21:29

Nic to Stephen "your round mate"

Posted by: Saint For Life (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 21:39

When it comes to delivering silver ware Saints have been blessed over the last 20 years with 2 consistently outstanding fly halfs - Grayson and Myler .All the rest have failed to deliver re consistency .I hope SM now keeps free of injury this year and helps - in what I suspect might be his last year - to deliver silver ware once again . COYS

Posted by: herbie85 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 22:23

Im not sure consistently outstanding is correct. He is very consistent and fitted the saints game plan well for a number of years when we had a dominant pack and used his boot and management well. He is also a good clubman and been an asset for saints. Outstanding would be an international regular in my opinion, or someone with a more rounded game.

Date: 05 October, 2017 22:37

I am not sure they were occasionally outstanding let alone consistently.

Good pros, reliable club me, sure....

Posted by: Saint For Life (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 23:28

And in terms of delivering silver ware for Northampton - which was the point I was making - who was better than these two ? Credit where credit is due - both outstanding contribution to Northampton Saints . Will be legends for much longer than those who can only type faint praise ............... 🤐

Posted by: TringSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 07:00

When commenting on Steve Mylerís performance and achievements will posters please also add their own accolades whilst playing top flight rugby, just so we can compare and contrast?

Iím all for putting discussions into perspective so with your performances documented alongside Steveís we can then compare and contrast.

Iím sure that those who say that Steve is not consistent or outstanding will have a better playing record and set of achievements to back up their statements!

Steve Myler = true saints legend!

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 07:10

Quote:
TringSaint
When commenting on Steve Mylerís performance and achievements will posters please also add their own accolades whilst playing top flight rugby, just so we can compare and contrast?
Iím all for putting discussions into perspective so with your performances documented alongside Steveís we can then compare and contrast.

Iím sure that those who say that Steve is not consistent or outstanding will have a better playing record and set of achievements to back up their statements!

Steve Myler = true saints legend!

In summary
Your comment or view is carp unless youíve played rugby at the highest level
Nice one
Somewhat hypocritical though

Date: 06 October, 2017 07:13

No, but saying he is not consistent or outstanding when he has helped us achieve more than at any time in our history is a slap in the face.

And itís the same old posters who come out with the same old carp ( as you put it)

Itís the guys testimonial year, so give him s chuffing break!

Posted by: Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 07:16

This is just stupid.

You canít single out Myler and so how amazing he is and won us silverware.

He did nothing on his own. I think any average FH could have won silverware with the pack we had.
Itís a team game that has to fit a game plan.

I donít understand people who think Myler is the best thing since sliced bread. Heís a club fly half, nothing more.

How many caps does he have?

Date: 06 October, 2017 07:20

Wow.
Is this a saints forum?
Jeez, there is no pleasing you guys.

We donít deserve players like steve if you represent the groundswell of opinion. I wonder if that is why Exeter are doing so well , maybe they give a toss about their players and support them as opposed to slagging them off after playing for the club for over a decade!!

Date: 06 October, 2017 08:02

Quote:
TringSaint
No, but saying he is not consistent or outstanding when he has helped us achieve more than at any time in our history is a slap in the face.
And itís the same old posters who come out with the same old carp ( as you put it)

Itís the guys testimonial year, so give him s chuffing break!

Errrr I said he was a good club man but not outstanding. Who said he wasn't consistent? There is a difference between being consistent and consistently outstanding

Dan Carter is consistent outstanding. Owen Farrell is often outstanding. Beauden Barrett is consistently outstanding. Johnny Wilkinson was outstanding. Let's have some perspective please.

'if you haven't played you can't have a view'

If you aren't a Michelin starred chef you can't discuss the quality of food at a restaurant. If you haven't acted on broadway you can't comment on theatre. If you haven't won a Grammy you can't comment on an album and so on. Give me a break or propose to close down the message board.....

Posted by: Nath-coys (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:16

Corrrrrr this is a hot thread!!

Agree and disagree with loads of different points above!

IMHO Myler = a top club player. That's not taking anything away from him, in many ways it's the club men that make a successful club tick in there times of success.

Myler was the man for the job at the time.. 'when we had by far the best pack in the league.
It was a case of them saying to Stephen 'put is in the areas of the field and we will win the game' and that is what he did!
Is he the man for how we play currently, probably not.

HLTW agree with lots of your above post accept for the Beauden Barrett bit... He is in no way consistently outstanding yet! Not even close!

Absolutely brilliant in moments yes without a doubt! Able to do things on a pitch I could only dream of yes!!!
But a pretty average kicker when the pressure is on!
Average passer of the ball at times!
Average decision maker when he is closed down quickly!

And probably a better FB than he is a FH.
But still undoubtedly a top player and a joy to watch.

Posted by: herbie85 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:22

Wow this thread went in a direction many of us didn't intend. For me to describe him as consistently outstanding is doing him a disservice. The only fly half over the last ten or so years would be Dan carter at his peak. others can be outstanding but not to that degree of consistancy. No one in this thread has slagged myler off from what I have read and are recognising him for the good player and pro he has been for us.

Posted by: Eric Browett (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:36

As an outsider looking in I'd rate Myler as a player I respected but never feared when you played Saracens. Manoa I feared, Burrell has occasionally carved us up but I'd never look at SM as much of a threat; just a good, solid club pro who, if you were on top, would knock the nails in the coffin.

Posted by: Casual Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:40

Quote:
herbie85
Wow this thread went in a direction many of us didn't intend. For me to describe him as consistently outstanding is doing him a disservice. The only fly half over the last ten or so years would be Dan carter at his peak. others can be outstanding but not to that degree of consistancy. No one in this thread has slagged myler off from what I have read and are recognising him for the good player and pro he has been for us.

Spot on. Myler has delivered what the team has needed for 10 years and has been an excellent club servant. During that time the club has flirted with outstanding but has always come back to consistent. Unfortunately Myler seems to have had to justify his place in the team very since he made his debut.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:44

Phew ! I only posted the article so you could all enjoy a good read if you wanted to. The headline is taken from words spoken by one of his professional colleagues. Now I know none of his fellow players are going to say anything derogatory about him in public, but Nic Groom has actually played alongside him for a year so his opinion must have at least as much if not more validity than anyone on this forum (IMO). For what it's worth my view is that Myler has been a consistenly effective no. 10 over a long period of time at the highest level of professional club rugby in England. I reckon he'd be happy to be described as that when he retires.

Date: 06 October, 2017 08:53

If you don't suggest a Saints player is a world beater apparently you're slagging them off....?

What is wrong with being a solid pro anyway? I think it's commendable. Thousands of players would give their right arm to achieve that level.

Date: 06 October, 2017 08:59

Quote:
Nath-coys
Corrrrrr this is a hot thread!!
Agree and disagree with loads of different points above!

IMHO Myler = a top club player. That's not taking anything away from him, in many ways it's the club men that make a successful club tick in there times of success.

Myler was the man for the job at the time.. 'when we had by far the best pack in the league.
It was a case of them saying to Stephen 'put is in the areas of the field and we will win the game' and that is what he did!
Is he the man for how we play currently, probably not.

HLTW agree with lots of your above post accept for the Beauden Barrett bit... He is in no way consistently outstanding yet! Not even close!

Absolutely brilliant in moments yes without a doubt! Able to do things on a pitch I could only dream of yes!!!
But a pretty average kicker when the pressure is on!
Average passer of the ball at times!
Average decision maker when he is closed down quickly!

And probably a better FB than he is a FH.
But still undoubtedly a top player and a joy to watch.

His kicking was pants during the Lions. Interestingly his kicking has really improved in the rugby championship. I'm not sure he can be compared on usual fly half grounds, he carries far more yards than any 10 I've seen which is difficult to directly equate to points. Plus his ability to see space in broken field play. The added value here more than compensated for traditional 10 tactical play, kicking etc IMHO. He is re-defining the position which is quite something when you think about. I'm sure some smart stats guy has a metric.

There is another on the production line - Stephen Perofeta at Taranaki. Wish we'd have signed him and saved 500k....

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 09:17

Well I, for one, have been very happy to see Stephen Myler in the number ten shirt for the last ten years. He has stuck with the club and the club have stuck with him, leading to 311 appearances and 2566 points. Ok, ke may not be a Dan Carter but then not any are and some players such as Carter and Wilkinson simply excel at International level. Certainly the deified Johnny was not always such great shakes for Newcastle whilst still an automatic pick, quite rightly, for England. Obviously the end is in sight for Smyler at his age with the emergence of Groom and the pending arrival of Biggar but for the moment I will be more than happy to see Nic and Stephen rotate as the season progresses.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net