Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Gloucester v Saints
Posted by: HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 16:54

We lost because of poor 1-on-1 tackling, player attempts under the high ball and poor restarts.

Not the ref.

Date: 07 October, 2017 16:58

No stress we are still top four. Team was disjointed at times. Going forward once fit please play Francis 10, Burrell 12, Horne 13.

and Glaws only one win of top 4 :-)

Posted by: Saint Tim (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 16:58

To be clear I wasn't saying Barnes was the cause. I just point out how poor our record is when he is the referee. Once announced I find it best to chalk it up as a loss. I get less stressed that way.

Date: 07 October, 2017 17:05

Do you have a list of the fixtures?

I'm assuming he takes control of the bigger games and we tend to lose those....

Posted by: twsaint (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:10

Quote:
Abington Adam
Saint Maul, I'm always happy to criticise Waynetta, but the last call was spot on, there were several Saints players in front of the ball carrier.It really wasn't a difficult one for the ref to call.

That doesn't make it an offence if they are all bound on.As usual Barnes is the centre of the late drama. The Gloucester crowd shouted for penalties all day. They weren't shouting for that one.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:12

Why has the defence gone to pot in the last three games ?

Posted by: Abington Adam (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:17

Quote:
twsaint
Quote:
Abington Adam
Saint Maul, I'm always happy to criticise Waynetta, but the last call was spot on, there were several Saints players in front of the ball carrier.It really wasn't a difficult one for the ref to call.

That doesn't make it an offence if they are all bound on.As usual Barnes is the centre of the late drama. The Gloucester crowd shouted for penalties all day. They weren't shouting for that one.

But the ball carrier hadn't joined the maul

Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:26

I listened to the match and don’t think we can blame the ref. Our defence seemed poor and a couple of kicks missed let Gloucester get too far ahead. Luckily they missed several kicks too. It will be interesting to watch as some of our tactical kicking seemed wayward. Unfortunately the commentary was Radio Gloucester and the emphasis was on them rather than us. Gloucester have had poor third quarters this season and when they came out of that ahead it seemed to lift them. It wS alswYs going to be tough at Castle Grim.

Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:26

Commiserations Saints only seen the score not followed the game.

6 games in I think we can consider it a good start to the season with 4 wins and some try bonus point wins. Considering we’ve been without some key players. It has set us up nicely for the season ahead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 18:03 by andysaint.

Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 18:14

According to Ultimate Rugby, 30% of today's tackles were missed.

Hopefully we sharpen up ahead of next week or it'll be our now-customary European humiliation at the Gardens all over again.

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Posted by: Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 18:50

How quick is Reinach??? I feared he may have lost his pace after knee surgery but still looks lightening.

Again it seems like one on tackles have cost us. I feared for us today with Mallinder at 10 against a nailed on top 4 team and was unfortunately proved right. Hopefully Jim has learned his lesson now and it will be either Francis or Myler at 10 and kicking.

Overall we're ahead of where I thought we'd be at this stage

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:09

Just back from Kingsholm:

Probably got what we deserved.
Too many turnovers to Glaws
Haphazard Restarts
Defensive lapses - Patterson for one gift.
Reinach is seriously quick
Collins a bad day at the office
Good job Williams matched Harry for missed kicks and more.

Next week:

If Hartley and Lawes are fit they must start for the simple reason it works. By all means rotate with Mikey and Patterson but stick to the combos that operate as a pair.
Nice try Harry, made by Ace, but assuming Horne not fit, play Myler at 10 and Francis at 13. Smyler was accurate from the moment he came on.

Game was there for the winning but lacklustre performance I'm afraid.

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:26

You win some you lose some, that's the one guarantee in sport! Wasn't our best performance but to come away from Kingsholm with a point is still good! They HAD to react this week at home after getting hammered by Sale, we had a few players rotated and rested. Things to work on and hopefully it gives us another kick up the backside to go on and win the next 4 games, just like we did after sarries!

I predict a big fat win over Saracens in Europe next weekend. Point to prove.

Posted by: Gloucester BAZ (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:52

Funny how you see things. I didn't think Wayne gave Gloucester anything...... despite the Gloucestershire connection, he seldom does.We have probably lost more than won with Wayne in charge but he's a top referee.Saints missed a trick in the first half when they were well on top. They should have been ahead at half time. Much more even after the break but with about 20 first team players available most clubs wouldn't deny us that win.

Saints will be playing in the top half this season, we are playing for 6th but the Ackermann affect will throw up odd results. Sale last week was similar to Wasps scoring 50 points at Saracens last season. 70% Gloucester possession and we shipped 50 points. Plenty of strange results coming this season-but this wasn't one of them.

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:41

Quote:
Gloucester BAZ
Funny how you see things. I didn't think Wayne gave Gloucester anything...... despite the Gloucestershire connection, he seldom does.We have probably lost more than won with Wayne in charge but he's a top referee.Saints missed a trick in the first half when they were well on top. They should have been ahead at half time. Much more even after the break but with about 20 first team players available most clubs wouldn't deny us that win.
Saints will be playing in the top half this season, we are playing for 6th but the Ackermann affect will throw up odd results. Sale last week was similar to Wasps scoring 50 points at Saracens last season. 70% Gloucester possession and we shipped 50 points. Plenty of strange results coming this season-but this wasn't one of them.

I wouldn't worry about the referee comments, we don't like Barnesy! Either way, we weren't at our best and you guys stood up well.

I'm having a mind blank but your number 13, is it Trinder? Amazing. Looked dangerous every time he had the ball. Such a shame he has had all his injury setbacks. I hope he can keep that form for you all season, a proper weapon.

Congratulations on the win. We look forward to welcoming you to the Gardens when we return the favour with a BP win winking smiley.

Posted by: Gloucester BAZ (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 21:02

Thanks St Sinner. For some reason there is seldom any hate when Glos/Saints meet. I only like two teams..... Gloucester and Gloucester Utd but Saints is a result where I can take a loss. It was indeed Henry. terrible injuries but the easiest MOM choice I've ever seen. He's class. Hope you guys had a good trip back.Gardens is nearly as good as Kingsholm to watch rugby[:wor kid:] Looking forward to it but we are fighting different battles this season. Good luck.

Posted by: Saint Mulc (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 01:07

Absolutely. Respect to you Gloucester Baz

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 03:15

The trouble with Reinach's sprint was that he ran into his support's space. It then became a situation where he had to score himself or he created a 50/50 for the support with that kick, certainly not North making a Horlicks of it as Rob suggests. Surely, what a centre would have done would have been to run at the weak shoulder of the defender and then release his winger on his outside. Then if North had dropped the pass, Rob could have reported on his Horlicks.

Posted by: St tub (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 09:25

Agree with you eif- but it will come

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 09:48

Early days for Reinach and Horne as they adjust to NH rugby - both will be very good indeed.

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net