Current Page: 1 of 2
Brad Shields
Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2017 22:34

We were linked to signing him earlier in the year ..
He signed for Wasps today.
Turned down a call to play for NZ against France at the weekend, in the hope he can get into England's national team by the World Cup.
Hence the move to an English club. He's English qualified through his grandparents. Will be Interesting to see how Eddie reacts to his availability. Good signing for Wasps.

Re: Brad Shields
Posted by: HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2017 22:58

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 07:42

Another one slips through the net. You do wonder though after what was said at the STH forum by Jim, are they going to sign another 8.

Posted by: BrianB (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 08:14

I think it was no, there is a recording of the event somewhere. I received it embedded in an email and intend to have a look this weekend.

Posted by: SaintMaul (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 08:19

Does anyone have a link to the video of the Season Ticket Forum?

Shields would have been a good signing but still not the large beast I'm hoping we sign. If we had Tiny and Manoa in their prime I reckon we'd be challenging right at the top.

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 08:31

So has he signed with immediate affect?

Cause he needs to be over here before end of year to qualify for England in 3 years, or it will be 5 years to qualify?

And the law is still wrong whether 3 or 5

Posted by: Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 08:44

Quote:
Neil-H
So has he signed with immediate affect?
Cause he needs to be over here before end of year to qualify for England in 3 years, or it will be 5 years to qualify?

And the law is still wrong whether 3 or 5

I think he is already English qualified through a parent or grandparent?

Date: 18 November, 2017 09:01

Thanks St J for clearing that up

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 09:07

Story here:
[www.google.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2017 09:11 by St.Sinner.

Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 09:13

Quote:
SaintMaul
Shields would have been a good signing but still not the large beast I'm hoping we sign. If we had Tiny and Manoa in their prime I reckon we'd be challenging right at the top.

[www.youtube.com] Think this should work St Maul.

I think if Sam D isnít retained until the end of the season we could be exposed at 8 with only T and Mitch. It did seem odd that before LP left weíd signed Mitch (thinking that Sam would no longer be around) therefore with three 8s on the books. After LPs departure was announced we presumably decided on just two 8s with Sam being the third until the new year when another Flanker joins. I canít work out the logic.

Date: 18 November, 2017 09:22

Ely, might help with logic, that whenwe signed Mitch, I think the club already knew Louis was going, it was a matter of how much for.

OFC that still left us with 2 8s, if u include T as an 8 and also Tom who can cover if needed, but not ideal, bit like Sam covering lock imho

Posted by: ch saint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 11:00

Whether you agree with it or not the managements thinking is that adding Broussow to the mix strengthens the back row unit as a whole.
I wish Eadie had not got injured so early and we would be able to see his ability at 8.

Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 18:52

Maybe we were in the game for Brad Shields. But would you sign for Saints at the moment if you had decent offers from elsewhere?

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Posted by: herbie85 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 19:26

Quote:
Matthew
Maybe we were in the game for Brad Shields. But would you sign for Saints at the moment if you had decent offers from elsewhere?

Good point well made.

Posted by: SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 20:30

Quote:
Brackleysaint
Another one slips through the net.

Please elaborate

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 21:56

Quote:
herbie85
Quote:
Matthew

Good point well made.

+1

We all assume if we are in the running we should land said individual. Could be whole host of circumstances why he signed for Wasps and not us or anyone else. If there is 3 in the running 2 are going to be disappointed arenít they

Posted by: SaintMaul (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2017 13:18

Quote:
ElySaint
Quote:
SaintMaul

[www.youtube.com] Think this should work St Maul.

I think if Sam D isnít retained until the end of the season we could be exposed at 8 with only T and Mitch. It did seem odd that before LP left weíd signed Mitch (thinking that Sam would no longer be around) therefore with three 8s on the books. After LPs departure was announced we presumably decided on just two 8s with Sam being the third until the new year when another Flanker joins. I canít work out the logic.

Thanks Ely. I've never seen a forum before so it was interesting. Jim's rationale for Broussow to slow ball down particularly.

Posted by: Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2017 14:27

Our back row signings have been off for a number of years now. We also seem unable to play players in their proper positions.

I still donít get why we signed Broussow. Weíve got a top notch 7 who never gets played at 7. Two 6s who get played at 7, Lewis who is an England age grade 7 and Nutley who can cover 7 to a premiership standard.

All the time we still donít have a top notch 8 or a well rounded 6.

Iíd almost say heís a waste of money.

Posted by: HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2017 08:52

He wonít be a waste of money, heís such a great player and no-one at our club can jackal at international standard.

However I donít disagree about Nutley and Ludlam. Like Ethan, Iíd leave if I was them.

Posted by: Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2017 09:07

Iím no forwards coach but if we signed Brussels it either means Lewis will leave or T.

Or T is viewed as a long term 8.

So in my mind itís a waste of resources. Unless T adds weight quickly and settles at 8 we will end up unbalanced again.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net