Current Page: 1 of 2
That try.......
Posted by: TringSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:06

So now we have it - world rugby has confirmed that it was a try and the TMO got it wrong.
Still, we would have been two points adrift if the conversion had gone over, but it might have changed the momentum of the match.

Re: That try.......
Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:17

i think Scott Williams not scoring in the corner was a more telling moment

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:21

Not sure it would have made any difference. England always looked the better side and in control, I suspect a closer score would have moved them up another gear.

Date: 14 February, 2018 08:25

What ifís and maybeís!!
The result is the result, so on to the next one.

TBH, I thought that we would get rolled by the Scots, England and Ireland, so canít be too bitter (1 or 2 out of 3 is ok given who is missing).

Posted by: St Ives (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:31

He might have beat Watson to the touch down, but notwithstanding that it was knocked on by the winger immediately prior to that, you can clearly see his fingers move when the ball touches them... so for whatever reason the correct decision was made.

Date: 14 February, 2018 08:40

St Ives, read the bbc report. There wasnít a knock on. The TMO made a mistake.

Posted by: Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:46

Decisions go either way, move on. World Rugby should not comment,the referee's decision is final.

Posted by: higgy365 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:51

Quote:
TringSaint
St Ives, read the bbc report. There wasnít a knock on. The TMO made a mistake.

The BBC report I read refers only to the grounding, and not a knock on by the previous Welsh player.

So Iím with St Ives - the right outcome achieved but by taking the wrong route.

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 09:15

TMO made two mistakes, but as you say Higgs right decision and I read World Rugby spoke to WRU who then announced it... which might not go down to well with World Rugby

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 09:20

Think in "the try", Mr Guscott (I think may have been Mr Woodward) made the point that you could see a finger being bent back when it was thought to be a knee that propelled the ball forward to the in goal area. Thus the TMO decision about who touched down was irrelevant

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Date: 14 February, 2018 09:22

Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Think in "the try", Mr Guscott (I think may have been Mr Woodward) made the point that you could see a finger being bent back when it was thought to be a knee that propelled the ball forward to the in goal area. Thus the TMO decision about who touched down was irrelevant

Thereís a video going around that clearly shows the ring finger hitting and being moved by the ball.. Iíll see if I can find it for you Chris smiling smiley

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 09:55

My history book shows that England beat Wales 12-6 last weekend and for that matter South Africa won the 2007 World Cup. Its a game, move on to the next challenge !

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 10:29

World Rugby set a precedent after the disastrous refereeing decision that cost Scotland in the RWC.
I believe Wales asked for clarification as to whether Anscombe's hand on the ball was sufficient for a try to be awarded, many commentators were suggesting that he didn't ground it properly.
As for the so-called knock-on, there is no dispute that the ball touched Steff's hand but it travelled backwards from there to his leg. Its unclear whether that constitutes a knock-on, maybe World Rugby should have clarified that as well.
It wasn't just the TMO who got it wrong, the ref was also at fault, from the crowd's reaction it was apparent that, from the replay on their big screens, the try had been scored. Surely the ref would have seen it also and should have asked the TMO to check again, the likes of Barnes and Owens certainly would have.
In every game there are marginal decisions that affect outcomes but this decision was nowhere near marginal and did spoil the game by causing such post match debate.
Funny to notice that it was Alain Rolland who responded as it was he who refereed the E v W QF at Brisbane many years ago, the worst refereeing performance I have witnessed in all my years watching rugby, not just one mistake but a string of them that even embarrassed English supporters sitting along side me. Hence welcome road signs into Wales were daubed 'except Alain Rolland'.

Date: 14 February, 2018 10:46

Quote:
Eif Jones
World Rugby set a precedent after the disastrous refereeing decision that cost Scotland in the RWC.
I believe Wales asked for clarification as to whether Anscombe's hand on the ball was sufficient for a try to be awarded, many commentators were suggesting that he didn't ground it properly.
As for the so-called knock-on, there is no dispute that the ball touched Steff's hand but it travelled backwards from there to his leg. Its unclear whether that constitutes a knock-on, maybe World Rugby should have clarified that as well.
It wasn't just the TMO who got it wrong, the ref was also at fault, from the crowd's reaction it was apparent that, from the replay on their big screens, the try had been scored. Surely the ref would have seen it also and should have asked the TMO to check again, the likes of Barnes and Owens certainly would have.
In every game there are marginal decisions that affect outcomes but this decision was nowhere near marginal and did spoil the game by causing such post match debate.
Funny to notice that it was Alain Rolland who responded as it was he who refereed the E v W QF at Brisbane many years ago, the worst refereeing performance I have witnessed in all my years watching rugby, not just one mistake but a string of them that even embarrassed English supporters sitting along side me. Hence welcome road signs into Wales were daubed 'except Alain Rolland'.

Nice post Eif and totally agree spoilt the game by causing such post match debate, it sadly happens.. some interesting calls for Gatland as players start to return back from Injury... with Falateu, Warburton and Halfpenny supposedly fit again, would you make any changes?

All the debate and arguments reminds me of Saints vs Sarries final and Wallers try.. again sadly took away from a great game

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 11:03

Oh the Welsh bitterness : as expected !

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 11:11

Adams running forward at speed when the ball touches him,ball doesnt have as much momentum as the playerso it drifts back onto the player despite the fact the player is moving forward at speed. Knock on.

Interestingly, no-one seems to have checked Adams for offside. Thats where the TMO replay should have started. As it happens he wasnt clearly and obviously offside but the failure to check it is astonishing. In league it would have been automatic; its not rocket science either.

Just shows there is room for improvement. Too many tries are not being given because the oficials and their cameras cant see a grounding for example. That Anscombe grounded OK is a 90% call and should have been awarded. and then we would have had the same scenario from the England side when Adams was found to have touched the ball.

Date: 14 February, 2018 11:15

Not bitter at all. Thatís life, but a lot was made of it after the game and I guess this highlights why some were frustrated

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 11:39

Can't comment on the controversy as I was abroad and didn't see the match but I understand England won 12-6

Posted by: rugbymel (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 11:56

The public humiliation of the TMO by the powers that be will probably mean that TMO decisions will take even longer.

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 11:58

That fingertip touch by Anscombe would not have been a try when I were a lad....should be downward pressure and control in my view !

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net