Current Page: 1 of 7
NEWS: Saints Sign James Haskell
Posted by: Marching On (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 09:50

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Chris Foy from Mail - Saints sign Haskell
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 23:10

Rugby journo just announced on twitter that we will unveil him tomorrow

Iím happy when international talent and proven hard working winners are signed.

Others will combust on here, Iíve got my popcorn ready....

Re: Chris Foy from Mail - Saints sign Haskell
Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 23:15

No self combustion from me just can't stand the bloke.
You sound like his agent !!

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 23:15

Very good player

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 23:18

Just seen that.. while he still harbours and is in with a shout of playing for England he will bust a gut playing for whoever so I donít think itís a bad short term signing. I would hope we have got him on the cheap relatively speaking.

As you say await the angry mob

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 23:20

And Owen Slot reporting that Cipriani will be announced as a Gloucester player this week

Posted by: Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 23:46

Hask is (or was...don't know yet!) a decent international standard player. I don't really care what his antics are off the pitch, as long as he represents the club well in public. I'm sure if he's a pillock around the squad, he'll be put in his place, although he may be the kind of character that gets a squad going and help bond it.

My initial reaction was "oh-no!".... but happy to let James show us what he's made of when wearing the jersey.

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 00:47

Why are Haskell and Cipriani leaving a top side in Wasps to sign up for lowly sides like Saints and Gloucester? An answer to that question should provide better info on the yes/no of signing them.

Is the Saints signing of Haskell an insurance against the threat of relegation. I have my doubts over Haskell making much difference to the Saints back row for more than the short term, surely its time to prioritise younger, more long term solutions in such a position, whatever that might be in Haskell's case.

Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 00:54

Bemused by this signing. Gibson is a nailed on starter at 6. Weíve got Brussow at 7 or Harrison considering the way heís been playing there Iíd like to see him start there. Haskell is not going to play 8 I would think. Weíve got Wood also at flanker. Then what is going to happen to Ludlum? Considering his age he will surely only be here for one season for one last decent premiership pay check and to get himself into the World Cup squad. Better, younger, more future proof flankers out there. He is a good tackler and hard working player but we already have at least three of those in Wood, Gibson and Harrison. So what else is he going to bring to the party? Disappointed in a recruitment here.

Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 05:57

Do we really need another flanker? We currently have

Henrich Brussow
Tom Wood
Jamie Gibson
Teimana Harrison
Lewis Ludlam
Paddy Ryan (senior academy)

Number 8s. We have Mitch Eadie. Surely we're still needing another player here?

If this one is true, then good luck to James in the GB&G. Have the same concern as andysaint about Lewis' development now. I just don't see this as a signing that actually improves the stable of back rowers, just engorges it.

Posted by: Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 06:06

If we needed a good quality, relatively cheap squad player we should have kept Nutley. The only area Nutley isn't as good as Haskell is self promotion.

As others has said I don't see the logic in this recruitment but it sounds like it is done now so welcome to the Saints, James.

Posted by: SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 06:33

Ludlam signed a one year deal last year, turning down the two year option offered by the club and offers from 3 other premiership clubs.

He has to get decent game time this year or he wi be gone.

Feels like the club value one year of Haskell over Ludlams long term development.

Very disappointing

Posted by: JRM (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 06:34

Just wait until the 'never in my day' brigade wake up and see this thread. There will be the same outcry as there was when Corne Krige was signed, threats of returning their season tickets and burning their shirts in front of the statue. As others have said, I personally cannot see why, would rather have seen the signing of a 'lump' at 8. However, management ( I hope) know better than me so if true, welcome James.

Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 06:38

I suppose, in some respects, the onus is now on Lewis to prove what Jack Willis has done at Wasps in the last few months.

Posted by: SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 06:46

Quote:
ElySaint
I suppose, in some respects, the onus is now on Lewis to prove what Jack Willis has done at Wasps in the last few months.

Yes given a chance to do so as Willis was at Wasps!

Posted by: SaintMaul (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 06:54

If Haskell is the answer then, for me, we are asking the wrong question.

Posted by: saintsfella (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:12

IF heís signed to compete in the 8 shirt and IF he isnít only huge money but is taking a punt to get in an England shirt, then I have no issue with this one.

Posted by: Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:20

The only reason I see to sign he would be a great bench player. He offers impact and can cover the whole back row.

Personally I donít think we needed another flanker, it doesnít matter who it is we have a desperate need for an 8!

Maybe heíll play 8 again? Who knows but this is random if true.

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:23

Biggest ego in English rugby at the end of his career but nonetheless a lump in the back row. If this signing hinders the progress of Ludlam and others.......we shall see.

Big problems at Wasps I fear whatever Dayglo says.

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:24

Our pack suffered badly this year
Bullied
Pushed backwards at scrum
Appalling at breakdown ( especially with Gibson and wood in tandem)
Little front foot ball
Absence of big ball carriers

I can see why we would want to sign JH

Current Page: 1 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net