Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Chris Foy from Mail - Saints sign Haskell
Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:26

Played at 8 for a number of periods during his career including I believe his stint in Super Rugby, perhaps filling a void short term.

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:31

I just dont see what he offers that is different or better than what we have. However if Gibson or H have a good start to the season and Eddie notices then we will be glad to have experienced backup.

Posted by: Saint Matt (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:32

If true I think it's a good signing.

I get he's divisive, but he's a much better player than Nutley. He works exceptionally hard in defence, which was such a poor area for us last year.

It will take Boyd time to make the team 'his'. So short term signings like this effectively buy him a year or so and I've no problem with that. Wood isn't the player he once was and Ryan should be targeting the season after next as a breakthrough, not this one.

The only negative will be if this stops Ludlam's development. If the game's won/lost with 10mins to go I don't want to see Haskell coming off the bench for meaningless minutes, that's development time...

Posted by: herbie85 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:33

Quote:
SaintMaul
If Haskell is the answer then, for me, we are asking the wrong question.

This massively. What are we doing saints. Offers no real carrying ability, breakdown skills. Will make tackles, although will prevent ludlam game time. Haven't we got enough 6.5's?

This has actually disappointed me, especially when you also think about the cap money it will use. That doesn't often happen with new signings!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 07:45 by herbie85.

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:46

So "in Chris Boyd we trust" then? If Chris Boyd feels we need him then there must be a reason. I'm not keen on the guy, hope it's short term and until Chris Boyd can get the back rower that he, perhaps, would like. Maybe there were few other choices. Best of luck James, welcome to Saints for however long you are here. When you step on the pitch the fans will be behind you.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:50

Oh I’m loving the meltdown on here...

“Nutley offers the same as Haskell”

Yeah Ben has a bucket load of England caps and picked for the Lions. Either that or he couldn’t even get in a garbage saints team.

Date: 14 May, 2018 07:51

Quote:
herbie85
Quote:
SaintMaul
If Haskell is the answer then, for me, we are asking the wrong question.

This massively. What are we doing saints. Offers no real carrying ability, breakdown skills. Will make tackles, although will prevent ludlam game time. Haven't we got enough 6.5's?

This has actually disappointed me, especially when you also think about the cap money it will use. That doesn't often happen with new signings!

you know the finances of the deal?

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 07:55

Saints have appalling season
New DoR appointed
Brings in experienced international player
Some don’t like the player
Stupid new DoR. What a rubbish decision
Existing players that didn’t perform must be picked moving forward

Cognitive dissonance

Date: 14 May, 2018 07:57

Quote:
Wilson Pickett

Yeah Ben has a bucket load of England caps and picked for the Lions. Either that or he couldn’t even get in a garbage saints team.

Your correct Wilson, in comparing the twos achievements is illogical as there is a gulf. The caveat is, England and lions selection has been and still is extremely questionable, certainly in my opinion and I would think a lot of others, just look at the controversy with this squad. a lot of players have a lot of caps, but I wouldn't necessarily think they would all benefit our side.

Date: 14 May, 2018 07:58

Quote:
herbie85
Quote:
Wilson Pickett

Your correct Wilson, in comparing the twos achievements is illogical as there is a gulf. The caveat is, England and lions selection has been and still is extremely questionable, certainly in my opinion and I would think a lot of others, just look at the controversy with this squad. a lot of players have a lot of caps, but I wouldn't necessarily think they would all benefit our side.

Interesting from the Mirror...... love a bargain

“But it is thought he has accepted a cut-price switch from the West to East Midlands where, at the very least, he will remain eligible for selection should Eddie Jones decide he has another season in him.

“I have to look at what is important to me,” Haskell said in February when admitting that “100 per cent” he was prepared to slash his salary demands to stay at English rugby’s top table.

“My priority is to try to be in this England squad going towards a World Cup in Japan under Eddie Jones. There would be a big pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.””

Date: 14 May, 2018 08:04

Would imagine he will be on a sizeable whack. His honours have just been highlighted, I would imagine he hasn't come here for a bit of boot and beer money.

Ah well. We have had players I've had no time for before and I'm sure we will again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 08:06 by herbie85.

Date: 14 May, 2018 08:17

Quote:
herbie85
Would imagine he will be on a sizeable whack. His honours have just been highlighted, I would imagine he hasn't come here for a bit of boot and beer money.
Ah well. We have had players I've had no time for before and I'm sure we will again!

please read the content - he has needed to take a pay cut to just get some rugby

he earns decent money from his endorsements and other fitness exploits

Posted by: Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 08:28

If true it's a very poor decision in my opinion. We should be building for the future, starting with a collective inner team spirit. That no other team wants him is a clue. Oh dear!

Posted by: Olney678 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 08:34

I am a first time poster here, but long time Saints fan so please go easy on me. This thread caught my eye though.

I do struggle to see the issue with signing Haskell, someone who more than adequately covers all 3 back row positions and has been an integral part of a top 4 squad for the last couple of years. For me he is something different. Wood and Gibson are very similar, we don't have a lump at 6. His defence is as good as any and that is definitely something we lack, even more so since the very sad retirement of Horne. Haskell can be our defensive leader. He really seems motivated and that can only be a good thing, and I may be wrong but Boyd would have probably seen Haskell during his stint in super rugby and sees him as a guy that can play the style he wants to implement at Saints. He may be 32 but he looks after himself physically, Ludlum is a 7 with great potential, he shouldn't feel threatened by Haskell he should see it as a great opportunity to learn from an experienced international who has played in every major competition in world rugby. If anyone is in Ludlum's way it would be Brussow.
Haskell is a winner and I can only see that as a positive following the departures of Day, Myler and Foden.

Date: 14 May, 2018 08:34

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Quote:
herbie85

please read the content - he has needed to take a pay cut to just get some rugby

he earns decent money from his endorsements and other fitness exploits

Ah papers, always known for their 100% content. That lines fine from feb, he may for all I know have taken a 75% cut. He may have taken a 5%. We don't know, all I'm saying is even with a pay cut, in my view it probably still isn't cheap. I would love to be wrong, and possibly could be.

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 08:41

Quote:
Eif Jones
Why are Haskell and Cipriani leaving a top side in Wasps to sign up for lowly sides like Saints and Gloucester? An answer to that question should provide better info on the yes/no of signing them.
Is the Saints signing of Haskell an insurance against the threat of relegation. I have my doubts over Haskell making much difference to the Saints back row for more than the short term, surely its time to prioritise younger, more long term solutions in such a position, whatever that might be in Haskell's case.

money Eif. Haskell and Cipriani would be on a good wedge, they have some good back rowers coming through so don't really need to sign a like for like to cover Haskell and the money they have saved will go on their new All Black 10 who will also be a marquee player. so probably cost neutral but they have got two big earners out of their salary cap.

with regards the supposed decisive element, I am sure when we are thinking of signing any England player, Dylan and Courts and the rest of the lads who have been involved with England are consulted on whether said player is a good fit or not. If he was deemed to be that bad I doubt Dylan would endorse his signing.

As some of the other posters have mentioned if you think beyond the sensationalist nature of the signing do we really need another 6/7. Maybe he's playing for next to nothing just to prolong bis test career.

Posted by: Stevie Myler's right boot (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 08:51

He will be on a mission with a point to prove to get in the England squad for WC. if got for the right money on a 1 year deal it’s a win-win in my book.

Posted by: San Miguel (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 08:58

Don't get the antipathy. Not quite the same as the Corne Krige signing and still has a lot to offer. Our cup doesn't exactly overflow with on and off field leaders and Haskell will bring a strong presence to the dressing room.

I will be wishing him and our other new recruits my full support.

Posted by: jimmies (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 09:12

This could be awesome or a complete failure

Posted by: acl saint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 09:15

Aggressive and a good ball carrier.

Cracking signing!!

Current Page: 2 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net