Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: NEWS: Saints Sign James Haskell
Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 09:46

So all those points conceded against saracens, last in total points conceded by a country mile, a ninth place league finish that could easily have been 11th, and still there are folks squeaking 'I dont know why we signed him'.

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 09:49

I'm excited about this, by the looks of the comments from journos it seems to be a one year contract on reduced money, the guy is extremely focused, wants to be on the plane to Japan and will give absoluteley everything he can to do it, that can only benefit us.

He's good mates with Dylan and from what I've seen buys into Dylans leadership and will pass that down to the younger players.

Chances are because of various factors, we may not have got a number 8 that suited Boyd's plans, Boyd himself has said in the chron today that this is one of his signings, that's more than good enough for me

His off field persona doesn't suit everyone, I find him pretty funny and the few occasions I've met him I've found him to be a decent bloke

Welcome to the Saints Hask

Posted by: alwayshopeful (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 09:59

Welcome James -

It seems to me that his commitment to one last season to get to the world cup and belief that if, and only if, he is dominant in a prem club, putting in huge performances week in week out, will be the only way to achieve his goal - we could see a really good signing here.

Its really a "one and done" deal... I would see this as a bit inspired and somewhat opportunistic from Boyd and team.. He could be another leader in the pack (although didnt he and Dylan have some beef a while ago?.. could be interesting? ) absolutely focused on draggin himself and the team together to pull together quickly..

I also hope he doesn't do any interviews.

BTW.. surely this signing is to be a No.8 unless Boyd has another solution up his sleeve. Gibson, Tei and Haskell would be a pretty tidy back row i'd say!

Posted by: Stockers (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:10

Que sera sera......

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:20

I like Haskell until he talks, sometimes he funny but sometimes he needs to think before hand!

Heís a perfect compliment to Gibson in the back row.
Wood will be an expensive water boy next season.

We would of got him at a good price undoubtedly & a pack with him and Barrow Is more fearsome than Wood and Patterson for expample.

Itís either going to be an inspirational signing or a disaster, no middle ground !!

I think he will become a fan favourite even if people wonít admit it 😉

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:22

Oh and I donít think we will see him playing 8 if he wants to be Englandís no.7. Kinda defeats the point of taking a pay cut just to stay in contention for England, but then play the whole season out of position anyway.

Posted by: DrHankPym(superhero) (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:26

Hello Wasps fan here in peace.

I don't get the antipathy towards Haskell, he's still a good player IMO. I might be wrong, but I think the reason Wasps didn't keep him was that he wanted a 3 year deal and we offered less.

As for his 'off field antics' I'm not sure having a fitness business and occasionally DJing is the worst thing a rugby player can do in their spare time.

I think his greatest 'crime' is that he's a bit of chatterbox (judging from RFU podcasts and their YouTube channel) and he likes banter. You've got yourselves a hard working player, who will give 100% for team if and when he's selected.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Posted by: Connorman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:39

Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
I don't get the antipathy towards Haskell

The antipathy is from a few posters on a message board that represents a tiny, tiny minority of people who support Northampton Saints.

Most people will welcome a guy who has played at the very highest level of the game for years and still has a huge amount to offer our club.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:43

Quote:
Connorman
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
I don't get the antipathy towards Haskell

The antipathy is from a few posters on a message board that represents a tiny, tiny minority of people who support Northampton Saints.

Most people will welcome a guy who has played at the very highest level of the game for years and still has a huge amount to offer our club.

Hear! Hear!

agree with Dr, he doesnít have a bad disciplinary record, isnít out getting drunk having skirmishes.... apart from being entrepreneurial and sometimes making poor jokes Iím not sure what the problem... as per Ted having met him he was a nice chap

Posted by: NottsSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:47

Love him or loath him for his persona, you can't argue with his work on the field.
If he can fit in and work with the team then I think he will only add to our pack. Ok we aren't going to be building the team of the future around him, but ask yourself, if we were in the premiership final, who would you pick (all being equal) in the pack if Hask was available.... I think he surely would get in our team, right now.

I've been saying for ages, our pack looks rangy, we have neither a fast pack, nor a powerful pack, with the exception of API we seem lost in no mans land, this hasn't escaped the notice of our opponents, who after a couple of phases have just run through the middle of us all season.

So to me, I see the signing as making some sense, and hope it all works out. If it does, he will be away with England, not playing with us, so others will get their chance to step up....

Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 10:49

Since Picamoles has now been gone for a whole season, the club has had a whole year to sort out the back row. This is the best solution? Weíve had a year in limbo due to Louisí late decision and we are now going to have another one. I cannot see how this is balanced for next season. Not blaming Boyd but whoever is sorting out the recruitment at the club at the moment is very short sighted. Haskell can be a good player but wrong time wrong place.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:02

Posted by: DrHankPym(superhero) (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:05

Yep from what I've seen of him over the years, Hask is a nice guy.

Enjoy him.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Re: Chris Foy from Mail - Saints sign Haskell
Posted by: JimJam350 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:06

Quote:
JRM
Just wait until the 'never in my day' brigade wake up and see this thread. There will be the same outcry as there was when Corne Krige was signed, threats of returning their season tickets and burning their shirts in front of the statue. As others have said, I personally cannot see why, would rather have seen the signing of a 'lump' at 8. However, management ( I hope) know better than me so if true, welcome James.

Silly comment. Why not just state your opinion rather than rubbishing people who might have a different one?

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:08

Quote:
andysaint
Since Picamoles has now been gone for a whole season, the club has had a whole year to sort out the back row. This is the best solution? Weíve had a year in limbo due to Louisí late decision and we are now going to have another one. I cannot see how this is balanced for next season. Not blaming Boyd but whoever is sorting out the recruitment at the club at the moment is very short sighted. Haskell can be a good player but wrong time wrong place.

the best players wonít be available until after the World Cup...

would you take a year of Haskell to get Kieran Reid or a younger all black next year? I would

Posted by: JimJam350 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:09

Quote:
jimmies
This could be awesome or a complete failure

Or most likely something in-between.

Posted by: Stevie Myler's right boot (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:09

Letís give the guy a chance - heís gambling everything on GB&G to make the WC squad. Iím sure he could of gone abroad for far more money tha we offered
I think heís an inspired out of the box signing
Welcome Hask and good luck for rest of the season

Posted by: InbetweenWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:13

Disapointed to see him depart us but best of luck to him with you guys! For heavens sake though, donít play him at 8! As Goodey/Jim might say, heís got hands like flippers!

Heíll be a good addition, I think. With Dylan, Lawes, Wood and Hask in the pack youíll have some decent leadership and grunt.

Although he appears to be a loudmouth, most of the stuff he says rings pretty true - heís just up front and open about things rather than sticking to the media training that a lot of players do. In many ways, I think itís something to be applauded rather than bemoaned.

As for why him and Cips are off, it doesnít seem to have been either of their decisions. I think most Wasps fans would have happily kept both where possible!

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 11:18

Quote:
JimJam350
Quote:
JRM
Just wait until the 'never in my day' brigade wake up and see this thread. There will be the same outcry as there was when Corne Krige was signed, threats of returning their season tickets and burning their shirts in front of the statue. As others have said, I personally cannot see why, would rather have seen the signing of a 'lump' at 8. However, management ( I hope) know better than me so if true, welcome James.

Silly comment. Why not just state your opinion rather than rubbishing people who might have a different one?

JimJam, do you see the irony in your post? JRM hasn't rubbished anyones opinion, he's made a pretty reasonable assumption based on past marmite signings. you've just said yourself about rubbishing people with a different opinion and at the same time called it a silly comment?

Posted by: Wasp1978 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 12:02

Great signing.

Current Page: 4 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net