Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: NEWS: Saints Sign James Haskell
Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 22:43

What concerns me is the apparent lack of confidence in Chris Boyd. He's obviously sanctioned/ suggested/ demanded it. He's done fairly well with the Hurricanes *, so why are certain people on this board in such apoplexy about Haskell being signed. He's got plenty of attributes, its short term, he'll be quite cheap, he'll be desperate to do well, he'll be available and despite what a lot of people on here think he's a tidy player. I bet almost no-one in here even knows him yet they're ready to condemn a bloke who's signed for our club despite knowing virtually nothing about him. Even if you don't like him at least give him the benefit of a clean slate. He's a Saint and that's it.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 22:52

[quote smitferbrainz]What concerns me is the apparent lack of confidence in Chris Boyd. He's obviously sanctioned/ suggested/ demanded it. He's done fairly well with the Hurricanes *, so why are certain people on this board in such apoplexy about Haskell being signed. He's got plenty of attributes, its short term, he'll be quite cheap, he'll be desperate to do well, he'll be available and despite what a lot of people on here think he's a tidy player. I bet almost no-one in here even knows him yet they're ready to condemn a bloke who's signed for our club despite knowing virtually nothing about him. Even

But you're asking people on here to react logically.

Date: 14 May, 2018 22:54

[quote tedge][quote smitferbrainz]What concerns me is the apparent lack of confidence in Chris Boyd. He's obviously sanctioned/ suggested/ demanded it. He's done fairly well with the Hurricanes *, so why are certain people on this board in such apoplexy about Haskell being signed. He's got plenty of attributes, its short term, he'll be quite cheap, he'll be desperate to do well, he'll be available and despite what a lot of people on here think he's a tidy player. I bet almost no-one in here even knows him yet they're ready to condemn a bloke who's signed for our club despite knowing virtually nothing about him. Even

But you're asking people on here to react logically.[/quote]

True. I guess we can but hope!

Posted by: protestbeat (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 23:26

Quote:
TringSaint
love him or loathe him, he will get stuck in, he will tackle, he will truck the ball up the field and he will teach some of the younger lads a thing or two, and that is exactly what we need in a pack that has had a soft underbelly and been exposed as being naive for too long.

I have to admit i am not haskell's no.1 fan (i normally refer to him by his other name of haskwit) but if he brings a level of doggedness and determination that we have been lacking of late then i welcome him with open arms and he can go an advertise as many pin-up calendars, male grooming and fitness products as he likes.

A good summary of my thoughts on this, I must admit to hoping this rumour wasnt true last night but the more Iíve read and considered it today it actually seems like a very astute signing by Boyd/ Saints.

You just canít argue with the stat of him being 10-15kg heavier than any of our other back row options.

The comparison to North is also very interesting as Haskell for one year seems exponentially better value and risk/ reward than any contract we couldíve negotiated with George. So to some of these posters with such extreme negative opinions I ask; What is honestly the worst that could happen in 1 year!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 23:28 by protestbeat.

Posted by: Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 23:28

I like the fact that Haskell is open and honest about wanting to play for England and be involved in the next World Cup. There's no disguise on what his motivations are; he knows he has to play in England to get picked and he knows he has to play really well, week in - week out, to get welcomed back into the England squad.

A highly motivated James Haskell isn't the worse thing in the world to have in your squad.

For me, the signing of Corne Krige isn't similar at all. Corne was the captain of a South African side who went out onto the pitch with the intent of injuring the opposition. His actions on the pitch, nearly led to the end of Matt Dawson's career, when Matt suffered a neck injury because of a flying head butt that Corne aimed at Matt. Dawson was one of the world's greatest No.9's, someone who lived and breathed being a Saint and then the club went and signed the one professional rugby player in the world, that Dawson couldn't bring himself to play with, subsequently ousting Matt from our club.

What's Haskell's crime? Being loyal to a club where he has played his heart out, whilst acting a bit of a buffoon and pillock off the field? I'll let the rest of the squad decide how much of a buffoon they are willing to put up with.

As for keeping young players out of the side, well if said young player can't train harder, play better than an ageing International player and earn a start in the side, then perhaps that young player isn't good enough to be at a club where we are trying to rebuild ourselves back into one of Europe's top teams?

Posted by: shiversaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 00:09

Versus some of the other off-field antics that some players get up to, Haskell is merely just a bit of a lad rather than anything remotely malicious. Should be good fun to watch him.

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 01:08

The issue is not his ability, its the fact that he's 33 on a 1 year contract. On this season's form it is pretty unlikely that Boyd can improve things such that the Saints can challenge at the top in that one season. For me, it would make sense to invest in somebody who can be here for the longer term.

Posted by: Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 01:16

Perhaps Boyd has someone in mind from NZ, but their contract has a year to run on it? Perhaps after the World Cup, someone becomes available after retiring from international rugby and wishes to travel overseas to England to play?

Posted by: Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 07:21

Finally, a forwards LEADER, and WINNER!!!

Fantastic signing, a real coup, as he could have signed for numerous clubs....

Add to a leader in Dan Biggar in the backs, Iím feeling a lot more optimistic about next season...

Date: 15 May, 2018 08:02

Quote:
Saint.Kenneth
Perhaps Boyd has someone in mind from NZ, but their contract has a year to run on it? Perhaps after the World Cup, someone becomes available after retiring from international rugby and wishes to travel overseas to England to play?

My thoughts exactly, hence a one year only deal. He has to be a stop gap. He's a good quality stop gap at that.

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 09:19

I don't think anyone is denying the bulk, strength or experience of Haskell for one moment. Does he have a big ego, certainly, will he have a lot to say, definitely, will be have 110% commitment to the Saints, hopefully. If I were Chris Boyd, I would tell him to concentrate completely on his rugby and not get involved in social media or other extra-curricular self promotion and that approach will give what he craves, namely an outside chance of a trip to Japan next year with the riches he quite openly seeks.

Does he get a nailed on starting place for the first game, maybe, maybe not. Wasps fans seem to think he is a bit of a penalty machine...that is a concern as we gave away enough last campiagn.

Blank sheet of paper when he arrives methinks..........

Posted by: Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 11:58

After a dreadful performance last season, and an even worse one just finishing, we managed to beat Tigers and make some difficult decisions in letting long serving players go. For just one moment I thought I could see a tunnel, no light, just a tunnel in the far distance. And now this. Trust the coaches and management? Are you mad?
Boyd has shown his hand and played it. Very depressing.

Date: 15 May, 2018 14:14

Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
After a dreadful performance last season, and an even worse one just finishing, we managed to beat Tigers and make some difficult decisions in letting long serving players go. For just one moment I thought I could see a tunnel, no light, just a tunnel in the far distance. And now this. Trust the coaches and management? Are you mad?

So what is this Boyd hand you've seen him play ?

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 18:00

Quote:
Eif Jones
The issue is not his ability, its the fact that he's 33 on a 1 year contract. On this season's form it is pretty unlikely that Boyd can improve things such that the Saints can challenge at the top in that one season. For me, it would make sense to invest in somebody who can be here for the longer term.

Repeat

WORLD CUP YEAR

Date: 15 May, 2018 18:38

Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

Sorry, not meant personally, but in my opinion this is ridiculous. How can the recruiting of a very recent England international and British Lion who, probably none of us know personally, for one season, possibly warrant this type of reaction? How any player would want to sign for Saints beats me and I'd suggest to him he doesn't read this forum.

Date: 15 May, 2018 18:42

Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

Sorry, not meant personally, but in my opinion this is ridiculous. How can the recruiting of a very recent England international and British Lion who, probably none of us know personally, for one season, possibly warrant this type of reaction? How any player would want to sign for Saints beats me and I'd suggest to him he doesn't read this forum.

+1000%

Posted by: Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 20:29

Quote:
Eif Jones
I have a feeling, as do others that he will be stop gap until after the World Cup when we'll see Boyd bring in a NZ 8

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 02:16

Meanwhile the Ospreys have signed an Argentinian no 8 or 6 at 22 years old, makes much more sense if he makes the grade.

Posted by: rugbymel (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 07:51

How long have the Ospreys coaching team been looking at him? Chris Boyd, not even in post yet, has given himself a year to source the player he wants, after RWC19.

Posted by: oldtoastersaint (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 09:44

You mean there are no 22 years old Welshmen that might make the grade in the part-timers pro 14 Eif? I can hardly believe you said that bach! Of course Ospreys could always have converted that surplus Welsh winger they acquired by default and don't really need ...

If they wanted to add more weight to his already considerable 109kgs they could do worse than drive the few miles North to Llandovery. The home-made fish fingers at the West End Cafe are far superior to the Patagonian version and you get plenty of change from a fiver look you!

Mwynhewch eich bwyd George!

Current Page: 6 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net