Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: NEWS: Saints Sign James Haskell
Posted by: Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 12:33

IMO really good astute 1 year signing. Haskell will be busting a gut to show EJ he's the man for the World Cup & that can only be good for Saints

Posted by: Ow3n (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 12:48

This seems like a pragmatic signing.

Would I like to spend a long journey in a car with him, probably not. But Iím sure heíd have the same opinion of me.

A proven grafter with not inconsiderable experience and a point to prove.

Welcome.

Posted by: St tub (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 13:28

Hask is a top bloke - will give a lot to the fans
He's also a proven leader going into a season where we've just lost 3 guys with over 700 appearances between them
Defensively very aggressive, decent lineout operator and big lump

DoR seems happy enough too - seems to shove Courts back into the 2nd row is the only downside I can see

Posted by: MarchingIn (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 13:45

I'll judge Boyds decisions based on what happens on the pitch in September rather than Twitter now...

Viewed as a straight 1 in / 1 out for Nutley as a utility back row, then it doesn't look like bad business to me.

Welcome to Saints James.

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 13:53

Posted by: Padmon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 16:09

He weights 120kg if you believe google and if heís a few kg shy of that, I doubt it would take him long to get there in preseason. For perspective: T - 106kg, Gibbo - 107kg, Eadie - 105kg, and Brussow - 101kg (all google for consistency). Sure theyíre all probably a little above or below but having an absolute specimen like Hask with his additional ballast should go a long way in the scrums and loose. I hope heís seen as an 8 because as mentioned, Harrison, Gibson and Ludlum are all deserving of a continued run. Welcome to the Saints Hask.

Posted by: Saint BB (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 16:34

For me, he is literally the last player I would want playing for Saints. We donít need him in the back row (we need a proper 8) and we donít need his brand of drama and self promotion. Iím sure he can still have a decent game in him but we need major rebuilding next year, to bring on our talented youngsters and give them game time, and to remember how to be a team again - I cannot see how Haskell is going to do any of that. Really disappointed that this is the direction that Saints have chosen.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 16:41

Quote:
Saint BB
For me, he is literally the last player I would want playing for Saints. We donít need him in the back row (we need a proper 8) and we donít need his brand of drama and self promotion. Iím sure he can still have a decent game in him but we need major rebuilding next year, to bring on our talented youngsters and give them game time, and to remember how to be a team again - I cannot see how Haskell is going to do any of that. Really disappointed that this is the direction that Saints have chosen.

There are a lot of assumptions there. As far as I can see there is everything right about his rugby skills and there's nowt wrong with self-confidence or even a bit of self-promotion in a professional sportsman. He wouldn't be the first to have a big ego and these are usually pretty quickly dealt with on the training pitch. Signing him does not automatically mean the younger players won't be brought through but they still have to prove they are more worth selecting than him. I would be interested to know what his fellow Wasps think about him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 17:10 by tedge.

Posted by: Saint Wilf (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 17:05

Dreadful signing - ego on legs who given his bulk gets driven back and turned over far too often - a real @#$%& cat in my humble opinion.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 17:18

So in summary, Boyd is no longer the new messiah?

Posted by: Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 17:58

Marmite signing.....lets just leave at that and not fall out with each other - one way or another, he will only be here for a year.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 18:25

Some northamptonians just donít like personality and charisma

Shendy - Boyd is the messiah itís just modern day celeb culture. Punters are more concerned with personality than output.

Note: all the Wasps fans who have so far posted say its a great signing. But what do they know, theyíve only been watching him play every week for years.

Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 18:27

I have always preferred to see him on the bench or unfit when we have played Wasps. He is still a very good player and made an immediate impact against us at the Ricoh a few weeks ago when he came on. I think that he will be an asset and our young players can learn from him, particularly how not to address the media*.
Welcome to Saints Mr H.

Posted by: Angus67 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 18:38

slightly different perspective....

Saturday 5th May saw a great Saints player leave after years of service, he got a tremendous send off, the vast majority of us were sad to see him go and a good few felt that he still had something to offer so therefore he would be a great signing for another club.

When his new club was announced I went onto their message board to congratulate them on securing his signature and I was a bit disappointed to see a few negative comments, mostly questioning his age, ability and commitment.

Meanwhile a week earlier at Coventry Wasps supporters gave a great send off to one of their greats who has become our new player, later, comments on their forum mirrored the comments we made about departing Saints players.

From that I cant help but see things almost through the eyes of a Wasp supporter, who may be reading the negative comments on here, with the same disappointment I read the comments about SMyler.

Whilst the signing may not suit everybody, (I remember Cornť Krige dividing opinion when his signing was announced) so I think we should just see how he performs in our colours. I have a feeling he will come with a big point to prove and I don't feel qualified to criticise Mr Boyd's judgement

So, welcome to the club, and good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 19:04 by Angus67.

Posted by: Flook (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 18:38

Apparently JH responded to the Saints twitter feed that I posted earlier (see both on the BBC)
Should cause apoplexy in the nay-sayers camp.

Posted by: Bletchley Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 19:39

Agree totally. Jon Sleightholme was another Ďcharacterí who divided opinion when he joined us in the 90s. Iím sure Iím not the only one here who remembers that the season before while at Bath he had been featured in a TV documentary series and came across as a bit of a poser (always wearing sunglasses off-pitch, style of dress, etc.). It didnít take long for him to become Ďour characterí, a great player and remaining in an active role with Saints after hanging up his boots.

Others have rightly pointed out that we should trust the coaches and management. James Haskell will need to earn his place in the team like the rest of the back row candidates, and if heís the best player available for the number on his back then that surely is good enough.

Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 19:42

Flook - I hope he doesnít really think that we want a JCB driving DJ?
Well done on the BBC retweet!

Re: Chris Foy from Mail - Saints sign Haskell
Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 19:45

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Rugby journo just announced on twitter that we will unveil him tomorrow
Iím happy when international talent and proven hard working winners are signed.

Others will combust on here, Iíve got my popcorn ready....
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=267

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 20:57 by Which Tyler.

Posted by: TringSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 20:52

Talk about being divisive!!

Hows this for an alternative view:

When we signed a young welshman we were all in raptures about his skills, attitude and ability to score tries for fun. We were all excited to see what he could do and that brought a real buzz to the club. 5 years later he leaves the same club and his departure is met with barely a murmur and only a handful of posts about what he thinks about the fans.
None of the adulation that was showered on myler, foden, day or even horne was showered on north and the reason form that, imho, is because he failed to deliver time and again and left us all frustrated whilst we watched a highly paid sports star inspecting the touchline for 80 mins a game.

Haskell, on the other hand, has not even taken the field yet and still people are writing him off as an expensive white elephant, yet he has performed well for wasps and england (albeit with the odd brainless event) for years and has a lot to offer and certainly wont be inspecting the touchlines for 80 mins a game.

love him or loathe him, he will get stuck in, he will tackle, he will truck the ball up the field and he will teach some of the younger lads a thing or two, and that is exactly what we need in a pack that has had a soft underbelly and been exposed as being naive for too long.

I have to admit i am not haskell's no.1 fan (i normally refer to him by his other name of haskwit) but if he brings a level of doggedness and determination that we have been lacking of late then i welcome him with open arms and he can go an advertise as many pin-up calendars, male grooming and fitness products as he likes.

Posted by: acl saint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 21:00

Current Page: 5 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net