Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NEWS: Saints Sign Charlie Davies
Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 17:28

Mitchell will be challenging Reinach for starting position. Davies number three in pecking order but you never know what is around the corner with injuries etc

Re: New scrum half
Posted by: John Rickerd (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 17:34

Quote:
Saint Stokey
So first choice looks like Reinach. Kessell firmly in the Wandies with Mitchell and Davies fighting it out for 2nd spot.

Interesting Reinach 1st choice ?. I was going to post this a few days ago but I was distracted:

Two major areas of recruitment worry me, I feel we have problems at 8&9.
Number 8 has been discussed over and over, but still is a major problem IMO. As for scrumhalf, we have let our best go off to Bath & SA. and whilst Cobus Reinach has good points, pace and cover tackling, he lacks the essentials of a top 9. His pass is short and not quick which is not going to help Dan Biggar, and his box kicking is poor, and in the last two games made errors that cost us points. Alex Mitchell has most of the things lacking in Cobus, but will the club blood him?.

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 18:17

If Cobus has a short pass, Biggar will have to stand closer. This should mean flatter so we may play a more attacking running game.

For me, box kicking and speed of passing is a skill that can be coached.

As for blooding Mitchell, unless we're planning to play Cobus for 80 minutes of every game, we're going to have to, unless Davies or Kessell play themselves into the position. But i see that as competition and the point of having a squad.

I think Boyd has enough about him to play those in form. He's operated that way with Hurricanes so i see no reason why not to do with us.

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 01:17

Went down the pecking order at Dragons, a 17 year old became 1st choice for much of the season. The coach's terms of reference last season was to give all his squad game time in order to decide who to keep and who to release. Then WRU money would arrive in order to strengthen the squad for next season. Their main scrum half signing was Rhodri Williams who played for the BaaBaas versus England. Certainly stood out as MOM when I watched Bedford v Bristol last season, a Williams for a Davies sound very Welsh.

Posted by: lost in duston (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 01:44

I am very impressed with Mitchell

He is quick and has a very good rugby brain.
I think he is better than Reinach. And Reinach is good

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net