England squad for round two against SA
Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 13:13

[www.englandrugby.com]

Launchbury coming back will help a lot, Nick Isiekwe looked off the pace last weekend and although Francis has generally done well for England he isn't the player capable of turning a game off the bench that Cipriani is. Shields did seem to help matters when he came on so in playing at 6 with two genuine second rows hopefully he can have good impact.

Fingers crossed for another good game but a slightly different end result (from an English perspective, I'm sure pretty much every other nation on earth will be laughing if our results continue to slide!).

Re: England squad for round two against SA
Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 13:24

Looks a better balanced side to me, don't think Robshaw had a particularly good game so giving Shields a go in his true position makes sense. Brown on the wing remains a mystery, although he didn't play badly and took his try well.

Posted by: Saint Swill (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 14:42

I thought Billy V looked some distance off match fitness, particularly at altitude.

And I'm just getting some nagging doubts about Maro Itoje's form in an England shirt. Snyman absolutely cleaned his clock last Saturday.

Posted by: TringSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 15:35

is the shields selection EJ's version of the sam burgess saga?
ok, the guy has talent, but hows about earning the right to start!

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 15:38

I honestly feel that tours and the AIs are exactly when you take a punt on players.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 16:05

nah England need a win, desperately

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 16:59

Quote:
Saint Swill
I thought Billy V looked some distance off match fitness, particularly at altitude.
And I'm just getting some nagging doubts about Maro Itoje's form in an England shirt. Snyman absolutely cleaned his clock last Saturday.
i agree with both of these points but Itoje wasn't helped by Shields being brought on. Just left us underpowered in the set piece. Just hope Nick I is treated better than Luther and T. Their early shepherds crook was the last that was seen of them

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 17:34

Quote:
Dragonboy
Quote:
Saint Swill
i agree with both of these points but Itoje wasn't helped by Shields being brought on. Just left us underpowered in the set piece. Just hope Nick I is treated better than Luther and T. Their early shepherds crook was the last that was seen of them

With Itoje, Lawes, Kruis n Launchbury and some others that may deserve a chance, I think under Eddie we won’t see Nick I for sometime... but he is very young n time is on his side

But will Sarries other lock whose ripping it up in U20, jump the queue? Beast of a boy!

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 19:04

Quote:
TringSaint

a number of seasons of Super Rugby has learnt him the right. Burgess a Stella career in a different game and a couple of un inspiring games. so big difference for me.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 19:22

When there is such a paucity of talent and output in the back row, Shields walks in.

Posted by: Stockers (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 20:52

Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
TringSaint

a number of seasons of Super Rugby has learnt him the right. Burgess a Stella career in a different game and a couple of un inspiring games. so big difference for me.

A Stella career? That explains a lot!

Posted by: Scrummy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 23:39

Burgess was a flanker who didn’t have time to learn the role and was squeezed in at centre. Shields is the real deal.

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2018 09:53

Sorry Scrummy but 'is' is a very strong word, 'could be' or 'should be' seem more appropriate. Over the years, England have capped many many of these SH imports, very few have qualified for 'is', most have fallen away to be forgotten.

Posted by: BrianB (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2018 11:27

I dont think it is "many many". There have been a few but probably no more than other countries.

Posted by: SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2018 11:40

Quote:
Eif Jones
Sorry Scrummy but 'is' is a very strong word, 'could be' or 'should be' seem more appropriate. Over the years, England have capped many many of these SH imports, very few have qualified for 'is', most have fallen away to be forgotten.

Like Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola, Hartley, Catt, Hughes.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Here is a list, I recon less than 1% are foreign born.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2018 16:01

We are in this.... lots more up it. Youngs quicker with the ball..try.... good. keep it up..
and try no 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net