Selections for next Saturday
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:08

Rest the "key guys"

After last Saturday's performance it will be interesting to see who he considers "key guys" and whether we agree with him !

Re: Selections for next Saturday
Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:52

Dragons are resting their internationals
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Saintfanh (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 22:17

Presumably Francis, Biggar, Reinach, Lawes, Hartley, and possibly Teimana & Taquele (although the latter needs to work on his defence)? Not sure about the others as there's already been a decent amount of rotation?

Posted by: Eif Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 23:52

During Malinder's time his record was so poor that he had to play most of his big boys for these games. It made little sense as last year's Dragons had very little strength in depth.

Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 06:15

Quote:
Eif Jones
During Malinder's time his record was so poor that he had to play most of his big boys for these games. It made little sense as last year's Dragons had very little strength in depth.

True of Mallinder's later years Eif, I agree. I don't think you could paint his whole tenure like that though. After all, he won this competition twice, and reached a few other finals as well.

In terms of selection, I broadly agree Saintfanh with your names to be rested - and might add Dingwall to your list as I think he has become first choice 13 for now.

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 06:52

Maybe Hutch and Brussow will be in their somewhere if they are fit?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Posted by: SaintMaul (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 07:28

A team like the below would still be competitive without risking the likes of Waller, Dylan, Franks, Courtney, Ribbans, Teimana, Cobus, Biggar, Francis, Tuala or Naiya'

1 Van Wyk
2 Fish
3 Garside (or Hill if Garside isn't eligible)
4 Moon
5 Barrow
6 Gibson
7 Ludlum
8 Eadie
9 Mitchell
10 Grayson
11 Sleightholme
12 Burrell
13 Dingwall
14 Collins (or Kellaway if Collins not fit)
15 Furbank

16 Davis
17 Marshall
18 Painter (or Hill if still a bad back)
19 Craig (or Api if still concussion)
20 Wood
21 Davies
22 Hutchinson
23 Strachan

Date: 05 December, 2018 08:59

Ludlam is playing a lot of rugby at the moment so it seems. Such a pity we're not getting anything out of Heinz and Hask to share the load.

Posted by: SaintMaul (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 09:49

Quote:
ElySaint
Ludlam is playing a lot of rugby at the moment so it seems. Such a pity we're not getting anything out of Heinz and Hask to share the load.

Brussow has only played 8 games for the Saints in his time since he joined last January.

Given he was the Picamoles replacement and will be on a hefty wage sadly he hasn't had the hoped for impact, partly through injury where he puts his body on the line.

Equally, I imagine he's contract is until the end of next season so there is still time for him to show his worth.

Haskell will be off at the end of the season I imagine, and no criticism of him as the next comment is about our recruitment strategy rather than him, but I still don't get why we brought him in when we have Wood and Gibson and more pressing needs in other positions. But what's done is done.

The interesting question for me is how we build a back row squad for the longer-term given Brussow and Wood are both 32 and Haskell will be 34 by the end of the season. My take is Teimana is our long-term 6, Ludlum our long-term 7 with Gibson a regular starter rotating (where Teimana can also cover 7 and 8).

So it still feels like a big ball carrying 8 with good hands would compliment this longer-term group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 10:08 by SaintMaul.

Date: 05 December, 2018 10:07

I never fully bought into the idea that Brussow was a replacement for Picamoles. They play in different positions after all, and excel in different skill areas.

The Haskel signing I kind of understood as a squad signing - a kind of replacement for Ben Nutley as it were. Still think we really needed (still do) a number 8.

It will be interesting to see how the back row shapes up for next season. Wood signed a contract extension in July 2016 so possibly up for negotiation. I don't like speculating too much on player contracts though - too many unknowns.

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:08

I agree Maul. I think some of our back row decisions have been questionable to be honest. Brussow's concussion is unfortunate but it seems that he's been out a long time with it. Bearing in mind wage I think there's a lot of wage out of action just there. Have we just been unlucky with injuries, is age anything to do with it. Two ageing backrowers getting crocked? Gibson doesn't seem to have got much game time under Boyd, he was our best player last season IMO.

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:10

Quote:
ElySaint
I never fully bought into the idea that Brussow was a replacement for Picamoles. They play in different positions after all, and excel in different skill areas.
The Haskel signing I kind of understood as a squad signing - a kind of replacement for Ben Nutley as it were. Still think we really needed (still do) a number 8.

It will be interesting to see how the back row shapes up for next season. Wood signed a contract extension in July 2016 so possibly up for negotiation. I don't like speculating too much on player contracts though - too many unknowns.

Rather have seen Nutley retained as opposed to signing Haskell. Always thought Ben gave 120% and should have been played more often.

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:14

Hindsight is a wonderful tool - and anyone can use it.

Brussow was available at short notice. But old.

Haskell was available, wanted to remain in the UK and wanted to fight for a World Cup place. Probably cheap as a consequence. But old.

The common denominator is age, and whilst it is not a "given" that old equals injuries young does not, it is more likely in an older player. Much sense in the Money ball approach.

However

Haskell would have provided (has provided?) immense support off the field to the young ones. Every interview of the emerging talent mentions him, so he must be having an impact on these guys. Sadly we have missed him on the pitch, and I certainly would have put him ahead of Tom Wood given recent performances.

Brussow, well I am just not clear about what the logic was - he was available? When he has played, he has demonstrated why he got his caps, he was a jackal, and something we should have been able to exploit. But again, is his age a problem?

New coach, new regime, new views on selection and hopefully on recruitment too.

Dear Santa.........

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 17:34

We definitely need to give Lawes, Teimana and Ludlam a rest as they've played a lot and are key. Hartley has played less as he was used more sparingly by England so that's really a case of whether he wants to stay in the groove or could use a rest, likewise Biggar.

I'm really torn on Reinach - would most others have scored both tries, perhaps not, would we have been more likely to close out the game with a different 9, perhaps so.....

Posted by: Abington Adam (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2018 14:32

Quote:
Longers

It brings me no pleasure that Brussow has yet to have a run of form here at Saints, but several of us expressed concern that this may happen without the need for hindsight. In fairness anyone can get a concussion, it's the nature of modern rugby, but signing Brussow was always a gamble even in the context of every signing being a gamble to an extent.

LINK

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Date: 08 December, 2018 06:52

Thanks for the link Adam. It also Highlights the fact that his signing was announced in Sept 2017, but he didn't play until February 2018 (iirc). Not that short notice.

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2018 11:01

Quote:
Abington Adam
Quote:
Longers

It brings me no pleasure that Brussow has yet to have a run of form here at Saints, but several of us expressed concern that this may happen without the need for hindsight. In fairness anyone can get a concussion, it's the nature of modern rugby, but signing Brussow was always a gamble even in the context of every signing being a gamble to an extent.

LINK

AA apologies - it did come across a little blunt when re-read.

And I agree with the Brussow sentiments. Much questioning of the whole process at the time as I recall, and I suppose with that benefit it could be said the questioning was proved correct?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net