World Rugby's proposed law changes...
Posted by: lilyg (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2019 14:06

From today's Sunday Times :

World Rugby’s proposed law changes to produce a more fluid game and reduce the number of head-on tackles include outlawing the work of the modern-day “jackal” and lowering the number of replacements.

The game’s governing body wants to penalise the practice of a defender (referred to as the “jackal”) stopping the flow by getting over the ball, playing it with his hands after the tackle and trying to effect a turnover. The number of replacements — currently eight — would be cut to six or even five.

The measures, put forward in what amounted to an emergency World Rugby meeting last week, are part of an outline package of laws to be trialled and almost certainly brought in permanently. They are intended to reduce dramatically rugby’s worrying injury list, especially head injuries caused by fierce collisions.

The banishment of the “jackal” would mean that players arriving at the breakdown could not touch the ball but instead would have to drive over it to leave it behind. This could restore old-fashioned rucking and also bring more players into the contact area, so leaving more space on the field in which to attack.

Reducing the number of replacements would increase levels of fatigue later in the match, lowering the intensity and the number of tackle hits. At present, fresh players are arriving and smashing their way through the last quarter.

The proposed new 50/22 law has been well publicised. Teams kicking from inside their own half and finding touch on the bounce in the opposition 22 would get the throw-in. Such a measure would force the defending team to station more players deep behind the normal defensive line in anticipation of a kick. The upper limit of the tackle could also become the nipple area, protecting both the head and neck — the vast percentage of injuries to these areas affect the tackler.

World Rugby’s statistics show that the ball-in-play time has risen significantly and, with defending teams now not contesting the breakdown but simply fanning out across the field, this has led to an increase in the numbers of tackles and rucks — tackles have nearly trebled. At the same time, since the first World Cup in 1987, the weight of leading players has risen on average by nearly two stone.

Meanwhile, the Rugby Football Union is to restart its controversial tackle-height trial next season after an initial study was abruptly halted when it emerged that law changes were causing an increase in concussions. The Sunday Times has learned that a second version of the trial will be rolled out after a presentation at World Rugby’s Player Welfare Symposium, held last week. The decision to end the trial, which generated data from 36 matches in November and December, had been seen as a blow to attempts to make rugby union safer. A new tackle height trial, with greater clarity provided around how certain types of tackles are to be refereed, will now be rolled out in an RFU-run competition, potentially the Championship itself, next season.

Re: World Rugby's proposed law changes...
Posted by: SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2019 14:20

Some unbelievably muddled thinking/logic there

Posted by: herbie85 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2019 16:34

Not a fan of those proposals from reading that

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2019 17:09

So the answer to a game that has too many tackles is to emasculate the breakdown, which will speed play up, leading to... more tackles. They are in a bind with injuries.

I thought the big problem was open field collisions, am I wrong?

Posted by: Abington Adam (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 10:18

The 50/22 rule is too much of a gimmick for my liking. The reward for a good kicking game comes in the form of territory, to give possession as well would detract from the game. Defence should be valued as well.

On the issue of the proposed new breakdown laws, I'd like to see it in action and I think lower level trials will be key to this. I find it very hard to imagine rugby without the "jackal" and the modern way of creating turnovers. Referees will have to ping holding on very quickly and clarification around when hands can be used will be required. For example: red tackles blue (B1), one red player (R1) steps over the tackled blue player on the floor - can another red player now use his hands or does he have to wait for R1 to be cleared out by blue meaning turnovers are nigh on impossible? Will Sir ping any holding on by B1 as soon as R1 has stepped over B1? It raises an awful lot of questions, especially for those of us too young to remember "old fashioned rucking" and I fear there may be unintended consequences.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Posted by: Saint Matt (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 14:38

My reaction on reading is that removing the jackal is a pretty fundamental shift in how the game is played and moving Union a big step closer to League

Next law change will be to trial 13 players a side to create more space.

Also, remove the jackal skill from the game and there's no need for the smaller 'traditional' 7s like Brussow, Smith, etc. Instead it'll benefit sides to effectively play with three 8s across the back row, hardly reducing collision force.

Posted by: SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 15:03

Quote:
Saint Matt
Instead it'll benefit sides to effectively play with three 8s across the back row, hardly reducing collision force.

Ah, but that's OK because with fewer replacements they'll get tired.....(which of course won't impact on their technique at all)

Posted by: shiversaint (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 16:50

I bet conditioning can be altered to target 80 minutes rather than 60. This strikes me as an insane set of changes.

Posted by: SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2019 15:51

Remove the jackle.... if you cant get over the ball with hands and only option is to drive surely youll get more people running in and smashing the poor guy stood at the front head on. Alternatively youll get the play wher there is no breakdown and all players stand in a line in defence and the game will be renamed rugby league

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net