Date: 14 May, 2019 16:27

Does Dylan start on Saturday

He Starts at 2
He Starts at 16
Non Starter

You must be logged in to vote.

89 Votes

Show results

It's starting to look like all our hookers are fit with the exception of Mikey Chron Linky

What do you do with Dylan??

My view is, if he's in the team, he starts, easier to manage game time, put him on the bench and he could be needed from the first minute, less risky to have him start imho

Re: We haven't had a poll for a while...
Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 17:01

If a top international is available you play them but Its a massive match to start a player just back from injury. I see what you way about controlling game time but due to the specialized position if he went off after 40 mins and the next guy gets injured he is back on anyway (unless he goes off injured) so its still a risk.

I would rather have him come on with 30 to go to either rally the troops or settle the nerves.

That said, its a tough call for whoever gets dropped as we are in 4th because of those players.

Still, I think you play him because we might need him for 3 games, and we are stronger with him that without IMO.

Posted by: St Marcus (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 17:40

That list of returnees is very welcome news. And my decision would be to start Dylan.

Posted by: PembsSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 18:51

We need to hit the ground running against Exeter and I donít think you can do that with a hooker that isnít match fit (no matter how good he is) - Iíd rather bring him on in the final third or so where his experience of closing out/chasing a game could be invaluable

Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 18:57

I would have him on the bench and bring him on for 20mins at the end of the game. Itís a tough call starting having missed so much of the season.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:00

Exeter are all action at Hooker with Yeandle (IMHO hooker of the year) and Cowan-Dickie off the bench. L C-D could get rattled by Dylan and throwing can go wonky, so makes sense last 20.

Posted by: saint123 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:49

Iím sorry I disagree, to bring him back in for one game after that long out would be a bit of an insult to the other hookers, fish and Marshall have played well and bought a different game style, bring Dylan on with 15 mins to go but thatís about it

Date: 14 May, 2019 20:12

I said makes sense last 20.... ie sub

but that has nothing to do with being an insult to those guys - couldnít give a monkeys, theyíre young and we NEED to win

Iím also open to some very borderline cheating, dodgy ref etc

Posted by: shiversaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 20:55

Quote:
saint123
Iím sorry I disagree, to bring him back in for one game after that long out would be a bit of an insult to the other hookers, fish and Marshall have played well and bought a different game style, bring Dylan on with 15 mins to go but thatís about it

Playoffs aren't about not hurting one's feelings.

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 21:42

Reading between the lines of the Boyd interview, Dylan wont play. Only if we carried 2 replacement hookers and I cant see that.

I knew Alex M was fit as I spoke to him at Althorp on Sunday but clearly couldnt say anything.

Interesting what Boydy said about Mikey H, not being fit till next year, i hope he meant next season not 2020.

Good news in a way about Heinrich, no one is saying he has to retire; any doubts and Boydy wouldnt have mentioned him at all. Thats my take anyway.

Posted by: Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 22:18

I'd leave him, but am not sure whether we'll see him play again. Re HB - get him in. Class

Posted by: ramseysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 23:07

I'd leave him out, between England, injuries and some naughty step time outs, he's hardly played for us over the past few years. Plus he shouted "corner" when a straight forward kick would have won us the Newcastle match and we would be in the playoffs.

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 07:13

Big call to pick him. As Boyd alluded to in interview if your starting hooker goes off after 10 minutes is the replacement fit enough to play 70 minutes. I suspect heís not. Marshall and Fish for me, they have served us well this season. If we could guarantee a nice 30 minute slot at end of game Iíd be all for picking Dyl, but it doesnít work like that.

Posted by: PembsSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 07:15

Plus he shouted "corner" when a straight forward kick would have won us the Newcastle match and we would be in the playoffs.[/quote]

Bit harsh!

Date: 15 May, 2019 08:00

Nothing to do with hurting feelings, but that would be like chucking him straight back in at England it shouldnít happen, he isnít our best hooker anymore, Chris Boyd has changed the way our hookers play and it works

Posted by: ramseysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 08:59

Quote:
saint123
Nothing to do with hurting feelings, but that would be like chucking him straight back in at England it shouldnít happen, he isnít our best hooker anymore, Chris Boyd has changed the way our hookers play and it works

+1

Date: 15 May, 2019 10:18

Quote:
saint123

Not really because with England you have European cup winner and Lion Jamie George and others who have top experience

We have 2 young inexperienced academy products, who are playing well.

Date: 15 May, 2019 11:22

They are no longer inexperienced, with the likes of Pisi, Burrell and fantastic players like this leaving its time for the change, I dont doubt hartley is a good hooker but if he finishes after this year and mikey continues to struggle with injury,

Marshall and fish become our 1st and 2nd choice and its time to start regularly keeping them in the fold.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 12:16

This is the Boyd interview referred to above: Chron

Glad to note that Boyd is being far more pragmatic about the use of Hartley than some posters on this thread !

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 12:20

Speaking to some of the players last night at the sponsors dinner I think Boyd has been very good a communicating around selection choices etc. There is no longer a feeling of favourites or undroppables, if players play well then they will continue to play unless they need resting - hence Courts playing a couple of games at 6 coming back from England. However as WP says, this is effectively a knock-out game and if we win (or the other game goes our way) then we're into actual knock our rugby where leadership and experience goes a long way.

In Boyd we trust!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net