Current Page: 1 of 3
Unhappy sponsor
Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 08:11

Diageo not happy about Paddy Jackson joining London Irish - "not consistent with our values". It'll be interesting to see how that pans out...
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Unhappy sponsor
Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 08:48

Seems a very sensible view by them. Sports people are almost exclusively shown wearing their kit in the media. Any negative press for a player will link the sponsors to the issue. Its also possible they are morally opposed...

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 09:21

i think LI have been incredibly naïve if they thought there would be no fallout over this signing. whatever the rights and wrongs of it sponsors can pull the plug on money quite quickly with any threat to their brand/image. interesting to see how it pans out, be quite significant if they pull out or if LI try to wriggle out of the Jackson signing itself

Posted by: Stockers (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 11:34

LI have also just lost Cash Converters as a sponsor (see BBC report above).

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 11:39

Would a sponsor be aware of a signing prior to it being announced?

Date: 12 June, 2019 11:46

The big issue for Irish is the media are involved. Right now journalists will be contacting the other sponsors for comment, any that hoped to not get involved and hope it blows over will now be put under pressure to come down on wither one side or another.

Sponsorship of a small club like London Irish is not worth any kind of negative implications. Thankfully I think there biggest sponsor is run by their chairman... So they are likely going to be OK but I still dont understand why anyone would hire a player with such baggage.

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 12:07

It's nothing more than a PR exercise by Diagio, get's them good press by saying it's not part of their values while also not mentioning that the whole thing was in part probably fuelled by their products, when in reality the knock on effect of LI signing Paddy Jackson to them would have been absolutely miniscule and the vast majority of people would never even have put the pieces together

As for cash converters who's business plan pretty much prays on some of the most vulnerable people to make money, it's almost laughable for them to be taking a moral high ground over a man who was judged to be not guilty by trial

Most of the 'outrage' on this case was based on the messages from the WhatsApp group, the worst of which that were highlighted in the press weren't even sent by Paddy Jackson

Posted by: BrianB (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 12:34

Just for a bit of balance, the club is saying the loss of Cash Converters in nothing to do with Jackson.

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 13:06

We live in a society where ‘virtue signalling ‘ and PC correctness are the dominant forces
Let’s hope a certain Australian rugby player doesn’t sign for a perm club
The heavens will fall

Date: 12 June, 2019 13:11

Another way of looking at it is People cant get away with being an Ahole just because they are rich/Famous/White/Male (delete as appropriate).

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 13:17

Reap what you sow.... not sure this is about PC or not. He admitted to pretty grim behaviour against a woman and will face the fallout.

More importantly he was a failure at Perpignan.

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 13:45

Interesting last comment Duckonstilts bringing race into this thread.

Posted by: Shire (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 13:51

There is only one race :Human Race

Date: 12 June, 2019 13:58

Yes fleetg, i was being a bit OTT in my statement. Unfortunately History is on my side.

Quote:
Shire
There is only one race :Human Race

I completely agree. And dont get me wrong, as someone who ticks some of those boxes its a tough old life having to take some of the blame for stuff others have done. But the world is changing and hopefully one day we can all just be people. For now, there will be a period of adjustment for all people, companies and institutions.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 14:31

Quote:
shendy
Diageo not happy about Paddy Jackson joining London Irish - "not consistent with our values". It'll be interesting to see how that pans out...
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Tiger popping by,

I find it interesting that this is "not consistent" with Diageo's "values" rather than, say, the signings of Nick Phipps or Sean O'Brien. Enjoy Responsibly guys.

Posted by: Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 16:15

Snowflakes AND big babies in June? That was then, this is now, for goodness sake he can't be punished forever for doing something stupid. Those of us that have been on rugby and cricket tours are really pleased that smart phones were not around for 'photos, recordings and texts to lay a trail of evidence to be analysed and criticised by the limp wristed types who stayed at home.
The crew that I go to rugby with are solid citizens, employers, parents,grandparents,people who put something back into society with time and money. But the crude mickey taking, sexist, racist and homophobic jokes are for our consumption and would not survive broadcast. More tolerant and helpful people you will not meet. Now supposing our car journey were to be filmed, should we be jailed?

Time to stop feigning outrage methinks and let the player,and more importantly, his family get on with their lives.

Posted by: higgy365 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 17:44

Fair play, Hants, for being so open and up front about the fact you are an intolerant racist, sexist homophobe. Stay classy.

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 18:32

Quote:
higgy365
Fair play, Hants, for being so open and up front about the fact you are an intolerant racist, sexist homophobe. Stay classy.

You’ve obviously never been on a rugby tour

Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 19:12

Not only to echo Higgy's point Hants but you are fundamentally wrong in your argument. Jackson is not being punished, if anything he's been generously offered an opportunity by LI. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. The only outrage is coming from you as far as I can tell.

Posted by: shiversaint (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 19:22

Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Snowflakes AND big babies in June? That was then, this is now, for goodness sake he can't be punished forever for doing something stupid. Those of us that have been on rugby and cricket tours are really pleased that smart phones were not around for 'photos, recordings and texts to lay a trail of evidence to be analysed and criticised by the limp wristed types who stayed at home.
The crew that I go to rugby with are solid citizens, employers, parents,grandparents,people who put something back into society with time and money. But the crude mickey taking, sexist, racist and homophobic jokes are for our consumption and would not survive broadcast. More tolerant and helpful people you will not meet. Now supposing our car journey were to be filmed, should we be jailed?

Time to stop feigning outrage methinks and let the player,and more importantly, his family get on with their lives.

It is not remotely comparable with what you and the lads get upto on tour.

The issue with this and what so many people fail to understand is that someone in the public eye has a PR platform, and by virtue of their employment, that is also their employer's platform. It's the same issue with Folau. When you arise to fame you are held to a higher moral standard as your behavior WILL affect more people. Fame also vastly changes how people interact with you - that power is something that needs to be handled very carefully. This is where Jackson fell down. Similarly, the prices that famous people pay for their misdeeds are often more severe.

Don't forget, there is not an equivalence between Not Guilty and Innocence in both law and definition. Deliberately so.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net