Bristol Football Club (RFU)


By Ian Todd
June 3 2012

Bristol Football Club (RFU) was formed in 1888 when the Carlton Club invited its rival clubs Redland Park and Westbury Park to join in forming a representative city team. Fixtures ceased on the outbreak of war in 1914 but after the Great War a Bristol United side was formed to provide rugby for returning servicemen and this led to the reformation of Bristol in 1919, following the official cessation of hostilities. Matches had previously taken place at cricket's County Ground but now the Club rented a field at Radnor Road, Horfield. Radnor Road was intended as a temporary base and in 1921 Bristol moved to a new home.

The Memorial Ground, dedicated as a memorial to local rugby players who fell in the war was until 2014 the club's home before moving to Ashton Gate at the start of the 2014 - 2015 season.

Click the text above to visit the club's official site.

pqs: qs: