END OF SEASON POLL 2018-19
June 12 2019
It’s that time of year again – The end of Season Poll Everyone is invited to contribute – send your nominations for some or all of the categories below (don’t worry if you don’t have a view on all of them) to:- “unofish at hotmail dot co dot uk” The more votes we get the more representative our poll is of your views so PLEASE VOTE! Even if you’ve never voted before there’s always a first time!
So here are this year’s categories:-
1. Saracens Player of the Year (2017/18 Jackson Wray) Well what a choice we have this year. It’s going to be really hard to choose just one member of this amazing team but I guess Alex Goode (European Player of the Year) and Mako Vunipola (nominee) have to be up there. What about the amazing Liam Williams, Captain Fantastic Brad Barritt, big Will Skelton, Jamie George, Ben Spencer… I could go on but the choice is yours
2. Saracens Young Player of the Year (2017/18 Nick Isiekwe) Several of our youngsters have graduated to the first team this year – who has impressed you? Max Malins maybe, Tom Whiteley, Matt Gallagher, Ralph Adams-Hale or maybe someone else?
3. Saracens Old Player of the Year (2017/18 Schalk Brits) We have said goodbye to several old favourites this season – David Strettle, Schalk Burger and Marcello Bosch. Chris Wyles came out of retirement for 1 game. Brad Barritt is (hopefully) with us next year as is Richard Wigglesworth. Which of the old guard will be your favourite this year?
4. Saracens Unsung Hero (2017/18 Brad Barritt) Which player gives his all every week, but doesn’t get the recognition he deserves. Jackson Wray maybe? Baz Barrington has been propping up the scrum valiantly most weeks. Nick Tompkins made an appearance in every Premiership game, Richard Wigglesworth is ever reliable and last year’s winner Brad Barritt must also be in the frame. Who will be this year’s winner?
5. Saracens Find of the season (2017/18 Sione Vailanu). Several of our guys have made big strides this year – Ben Spencer and Will Skelton probably lead the field but let us not forget Nick Tompkins Titi Lamositele, Ben Earl and Alex Lewington. Who gets your vote?
6. Favourite Saracens Player? (2017/18 Schalk Brits) This is a tough one because we all have a soft spot for someone. Alex Goode & Brad Barritt have to be considered. How about our amazing wingers, Liam Williams & Sean Maitland? Marcello Bosch will have his supporters along with Billy and Mako and “Oh Maro Itoje”. I could go on but who will you choose?
7. Aviva Premiership Player of the Year (non Saracens) (2017/18 Vereniki Goneva) Many people will go for Danny Cipriani or Faf de Klerk who have both had amazing seasons. Exeter’s Jack Nowell and Henry Slade are worth considering. Marcus Smith and George Ford both have also done well. What about Matt Kvesic? There are a lot of good players out there so who will you select?
8. International Player of the Year (must play outside Aviva Premiership)(2017/18 Chris Ashton).? Which player from the other leagues has impressed you most this year? Virimi Vakatawa & Sofiane Guitone have been scoring tries for fun across the Channel. Brodie Retallick will always be up there. You may be less impressed with World Player of the Year Johnny Sexton but how about fellow nominees Malcolm Marx, Beauden Barrett or Rieko Ioane. Who do you think has performed best overseas?
9. Best Individual Performance by a Saracens Player (2017/18 Mako Vunipola in Premiership Final). This is another tough one as we have had some outstanding performances this season. Billy in the European Final? Jamie in the Premiership Final? Liam Williams with his 2 Premiership hat tricks against Brizz & Bath. Brad & Alex just about every time they set foot on the pitch. Which performance stands out in your memory ?
10. Best performance by an opposition player against Saracens (2017/18 Alivereti Raka for Clermont in the snow) You’d have to go a long way to beat Jack Nowell’s performance for Exeter in the Premiership Final but there will be others. Ben Morgan for Glos at Castle Grim maybe or Gareth Anscombe for Cardiff Blues. Who is your choice?
12. The Albanese Award for the worst performance by an Opposition Player against Saracens (2017/18 Entire Northampton Saints Team)? Who had a real mare against Sarries? We’ve managed to keep the lid on some pretty good players this season but who really didn’t live up to his billing? Cipriani or Johnny Sexton maybe? Or do you remember someone else?
13. The Martin Johnson Memorial Least Favourite Opposition Player Award. (2017/18 Mike Brown) I guess Israel Folau isn’t allowed as we haven’t played against him! Who is they man you love to hate? The guy who whines at the ref all the time? Or pushes things just that bit too far? Or tries to get someone else carded? Who would you rather not see on the opposition side?
14. Player you would most like to join Saracens next Season? (2017/18 David Pocock) We have a pretty strong squad but which player could make it even better? Choose from anywhere in the world – who would you love to see pull on that black shirt? Another decent hooker maybe Malcolm Marx? We’re Ok for scrum halves but I’m sure we could make room for Faf de Klerk. Rieko Ioane had another great season. If the salary cap were no object, who would you like to see join Sarries?
15. Best Performance by a Saracens Team (2017/18 Semi-final win over Wasps) Another tough one as there have been some cracking performances this year. The European final win over Leinster? The semi against Munster? Or the quarter against Glasgow? The Premiership semi over Glos or the final over Exeter (well the last 15 minutes!) I could go on but what is your choice ?
16. Worst Performance by a Saracens Team (2017/18 Defeat at home to ASM) Sadly there were a few blips along the way. Losing to Sale in January at the AJ Bell? 2 losses on the bounce away at Bath & Saints? Friday night defeat to Glos? Which was the worst performance of the season?
17. Worst Disciplinary Panel Decision. This one has been missing for a couple of years – well actually since Ashy left – but what befell Loz this season was worthy of a Brian Rix Farce. Unless you know better?
18. Favourite away venue (2017/18 Aviva in Dublin) We had some nice European venues this year – especially the Matmut stadium in Lyon and a rather soggy Arms Park. Or how about St James’s Park in Newcastle? In the Premiership maybe you enjoyed a visit to Sandy Park or Kingston Park (sadly not next year) or is there somewhere else you always like to add to your calendar?
19. Least favourite away venue (2017/18 Franklin’s Gardens) and following on from 17, above, there are some pretty unwelcoming places to go out there. Last season it was Franklin’s Gardens – will that be your choice this year? Maybe Castle Grim? Or The Olympic Stadium? Or HQ? Or is there somewhere else you dislike visiting?
20. Funniest Moment of the Season (2017/18 Maro pretending to fall asleep)? Alex Goode’s 3 day bender after the European final has to be up there. Or the Leinster guy who bared all in the European Final? Or maybe Owen thinking he could still get to the quarter final in time on the day his son was born? Or was there something else that made you laugh?
21. Best Referee (2017/18 Wayne Barnes) Which of the whistle-blowers do you like to see. Barnesy maybe didn’t have his best year but what about Luke Pearce or Matt Carley? Karl Dickson keeps improving and Christophe Ridley looks very promising. How about Nigel? Or Jerome Garces? Who do you think is the best referee ?
22. Worst Referee (2017/18 Tom Foley (again) and which ref makes your heart sink? Tom Foley has the dubious honour of winning this award for the last 2 years and may well do so again. Which of his colleagues frustrate you most? Ian Tempest or Craig Maxwell-Keyes maybe, or your friend and mine JP Doyle? Who do you think is the worst referee?
23. Best Media Performance by a Rugby Celebrity or Broadcaster (2017/18 David Flatman) There are a lot of Rugby Pods out there now. Jim and Andy Goode on the Rugby Pod, Tim Cocker and friends on the egg-chasers, Ugo Monye & Danny Care on the 5-live version and many more. Or how about our friends on BT Sport – Austin, Lol, Ben and Sara; or their counterparts on Sky: Barnes or former winner Will Greenwood; or the free-to-air guys like Brian Moore. Or maybe a journalist like Stephen Jones? Who do you enjoy hearing from in the media?
24. Worst Media Performance by a Rugby Celebrity or Broadcaster (2017/18 Stuart Barnes again) Barnes has reigned supreme in this category for as long as I can remember, and to be honest I can’t see why it should change this year – but maybe you know different?
25. Michael Gentleman Award for the Best Contribution to the Message Board (2017/18 Barnet Sarrie) And finally, which of your fellow contributors to the message board do you most like to read? Do you enjoy reading our match reports – thanks to Innings for so many excellent reports, and to Jeremy, Barty, Sara’sman, Purfleet Sarrie, Seanyboy, King Zak and even TT for their contributions . What about some of the witty offerings on the board itself? Who deserves this most prestigious award this year?
Voting is open until midnight on Sunday 30th June. Results will be published on the message board in the middle of July.
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR SELECTIONS HERE!!!!
Send your votes by email to: unofish at hotmail dot co dot ukpqs: qs:
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.
£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]
Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.
Prem Player of the Decade? BB
Could we have one for 'under bridge dweller' of the year.
Would we really need a vote on that?
Quote:Sorry clearly canít countSara'sman
Where's No 11?
Prem Player of the Decade? BB
Would anyone like to suggest a category for no 11?
Maybe should change no 24 to the Stuart Barnes media performance award in his honour.
Funniest moment of the year has to be Will Skelton putting Gareth Steenson on his backside before offloading to Nick Tomkins
Nah! That was a thing of beauty. Funniest moment for me was the Leinster player in the Final giving us a whole new and graphic meaning to the 'Irish Craic'