It seems only yesterday that Prince Harry was handing-over the solid gold cup to Leemingtyke at the 2017 Guess the Attendance Competition awards night in Cannes, but already a new season is here. There have been quite a few changes; no play-offs, viewing from the Carnegie stand only at Headingley and a distinct feeling of money being too tight to mention at the club. Nevertheless the Guess the Attendance Competition continues the same as ever, although I suspect we may be typing lower numbers.
The rules are very simple, but I thought it worth just recapping them here to avoid misunderstandings:
· Only Headingley games are considered
· Guesses must be made no later than 20 minutes before kick-off time
· The guess nearest to the official attendance figure will receive three points, second closest two and third-closest one point. It doesn’t matter if you are higher or lower
· If anyone gets the exact number (I don’t recall this ever happening to date) then an Almo bonus of 2 points will be awarded, i.e. the winner will receive 5 points
· Please do not duplicate a previously posted number: if necessary priority will be given to the earlier poster
· If a decider is required at the end of the season, the closest in the last match will be the winner
A few tips:
· You can use the date of a famous landmark (e.g. your house construction date)for inspiration
· Famous dates from history can be amusing
· Do not get too concerned about any discrepancies between the official attendance given and the number of people you count in the actual crowd
· Save some energy for the end of the season (sadly a well-known poster ran out of steam last year despite amassing a healthy lead at Christmas)
· Remember it is only a bit of fun (even in the York area)
· Don’t take too much notice of any advice from Almo as he is usually nowhere near the top of the table
As I will be in France for our first home match against Doncaster, and not sure of having a WiFi connection, my early speculative guess of the official attendance is 1001 – cleans a big carpet for less than half a crown. Please post your more considered guesses below.
Guess the attendance competition preview
Posted by: TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 22/08/2017 08:10
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017:09:05:06:20:31 by Wildwillie .
Jul 15: St Swithun's body moved from his outdoor grave to an indoor shrine in the the Old Minster in Winchester against his expressed wishes – legend says this was accompanied by bad weather, from which the popular British weather lore proverb comes, that if it rains on Saint Swithun's day, 15 July, it will rain for 40 days and 40 nights
Can't blame the club for exaggerating attendances. If the club won't do it, no one else will. Must think positive! No doubt there will be loads of positivity spoken by our illustrious leaders prior to the Pirates match!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment.
We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals.
We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards.
If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing