Will we see more adventurous rugby and team selections now relegation is sorted.
Posted by: Bristapo (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:17

Any thoughts ?

Re: Will we see more adventurous rugby and team selections now relegation is sorted.
Posted by: rambling sid (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:21

Well there's no point in being negative now is there?

Re: Will we see more adventurous rugby and team selections now relegation is sorted.
Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:26

It will be very interesting. The powers that be might see it as a dry run for ring fencing. I think a number of big matches will be rendered pointless, but we shall see.

Posted by: Bristapo (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:26

Same as ring fencing...your safe even if you finish bottom.

Posted by: Prop Joe (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:33

A lot of teams will be in contention for top 6 and Champions Cup still let alone playoffs so can't see too many pointless games

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:39

Quote:
Prop Joe
A lot of teams will be in contention for top 6 and Champions Cup still let alone playoffs so can't see too many pointless games

Agree, as with last year almost all teams will be within a shout of top 6 right to the end.

Exeter have never in the last few seasons had to worry about relegation and do they play fabulous attacking rugby??? But I know they want to get to that (which is why they signed Hogg(

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:49

We will see, but I think the threat of relegation is a much stronger motivation than a top six spot. I donít wish to be closed minded, Iíll be interested to see what happens.

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 23:19

I don't think any club will want to be known as the team who only stayed up as Saracens cheated.

Shouldn't think it will change much aside from perhaps budget security/planning as it's only for one season.

Posted by: Ernie Ball (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 06:47

The other side of the too many meaninglessness games argument is that it a allows clubs to really go for it in cup competitions, rather than save players for the Premiership.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 08:17

Maybe now we can take the shackles off, and start throwing stupid passes in our own 22...oh, wait...

Posted by: Sider Ken (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 08:31

Before last weekend i felt we NEEDED to beat Gloucester now i just want to and thats a big difference. Seems to me we are going to get an idea what ring fencing would be like and there is a big difference between the emotional stress of qualifying for top 6 and relegation. Living in Wales there is only one team people care about "Wales" there is apathy around the regions unless it's local derby's so may be a lesson there

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 08:48

Quote:
Sider Ken
Before last weekend i felt we NEEDED to beat Gloucester now i just want to and thats a big difference. Seems to me we are going to get an idea what ring fencing would be like and there is a big difference between the emotional stress of qualifying for top 6 and relegation. Living in Wales there is only one team people care about "Wales" there is apathy around the regions unless it's local derby's so may be a lesson there

I agree.

There are other reasons for the state of regional rugby - population, lack of disposable income, Wales gradually becoming primarily a football country, etc - but despite that, there are just too few games where anyone really cares about the result.

When I think back to the games last year....losing to Worcester, beating Sarries....its was the implications on the league table that made so irritable/overjoyed respectively after those two games.

I actually think what we have now is (more by accident than design) actually pretty effective. Relegation is enough of a bloody nose that teams fight to avoid it, but, with bouncing straight back up pretty much guaranteed, neither is it a death sentence.

Date: 20 January, 2020 08:58

Seemed like one for 8 years! Crowds in Wales go if the game matters and regional rugby was forced on them, how would we feel if us, Bath and Glos had to amalgamate!

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 09:01

In theory Saracens should be out for 2 seasons *unless* the salary cap is increased enough to let them be compliant. If it's 2 seasons the squad will break up and we'll get to see if the coaching set up really is that good when not allowed to cheat when recruiting. As an aside can it really be true that the DoR knew nothing of the contractual arrangements. And did anyone see Sanderson yesterday saying when Skelton came on, with no apparent sense of irony, 'He's not a bad replacement [for Vunipola]'. That's the whole point of this salary cap farce, being able to field two teams of internationals.

Date: 20 January, 2020 09:13

Quote:
Sider Ken
Seemed like one for 8 years! Crowds in Wales go if the game matters and regional rugby was forced on them, how would we feel if us, Bath and Glos had to amalgamate!

Agree. Wales not becoming a football country IMO. If thinking crowds only then international rugby crowds far bigger than their football team get (& the buzz and chat in the street about the rugby team is far greater) and if there is a British & Irish league you'll see the total crowds for the 4 regions topping Swansea + Cardiff crowd.

I don't think ring-fence = low crowds. You just need to look at the crowds the four Irish provinces (& Glasgow) get compared to the relatively low ones they got when the Celtic League first came into existence.

Date: 20 January, 2020 09:53

Im not sure lf a British league would increase gates besides we don't need it and remember Regional rugby is cheaper than England. I can only think Ireland gets better gates because there is a history behind their teams but my main point is relegation adds an extra dimension to being a supporter and we couldn't exclude our best players for 6 weeks for them to rest as ireland do

Date: 20 January, 2020 14:08

Relegation/Promotion

New Japanese Top League - 14,952
Top14 - 14,624
Premiership - 14,507

Ring Fenced

Super Rugby - 10,450 (Australian average as SR stopped publishing attendances)
Pro14 - 8,240
Major League Rugby - 2133

All for 18-19 seasons except Japan which is partially through 2020 season due to delayed start.

*edit* found the exact figure

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 14:13 by Rinkadink.

Date: 20 January, 2020 14:11

18-19 Japan's Top League before the restructure to a proper domestic format and scrapping SR: 5,819.

Date: 20 January, 2020 15:07

But Rinky you could also look at size of populations etc. There seems from your stats to be a link but there might not be.

I do think relegation adds something mind (I'm playing devils advocate a bit) but my point about the Irish provinces is that, despite their being no relegation in the Pro 14 and Leinster using it as a warm up for Europe and the Six Nations, the crowds the Irish teams get (and Glasgow) are way above what they were when the then Celtic League started. Yes there's a connection in Ireland to your province and some history of the provinces playing international touring teams which excited people, but that was also there in those first years when their crowds were relatively low. The league has always been ring-fenced but crowds in Ireland and Scotland have increased significantly. So that indicates that a ring-fenced league won't necessarily lead to lower crowds.

Personally I'd be likely to go to more matches if there was no relegation as (a) I might expect some of the away teams like Sale to play in a way which makes the game more open; and (b) the worry of could this lead to a slide and possible relegation will be gone. I mean did any of us stop enjoying the matches to much at the end of the season last season once it was clear we wouldn't be relegated??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net