Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Today's match.
Posted by: Brizzle (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 00:01

Thought Randell and Hughes had great games and sent a message to Eddie, cannot understand why he is persisting with only 2 over 30 scrum halves!!

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 01:05

Mitchell and Randall on current form should be getting experience.

The two best 8s in England at the moment (Hughes and Dombrant) are not included. Simmonds getting form back too.

Sheedy is at least on a par with Smith, and both are better than Umaga. Sheedy even compared well when he went against Ford recently, this afternoon was a fantastic showing again.

Thacker or Dunn? Find me someone that isn't a Barfer who would have the latter over the former. Hell, Capon even with his minimal experience and scrummaging ability already.

That's just for starters, we could make arguments for others too. Even Newcastle in the championship have involvement with the squad. Clearly the RFU have an agenda/bias, has Eddie Jones even come to visit us at Ashton Gate?

Posted by: tbr (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 07:01

Quote:
Rich.
Well we'll never know how much Gloucester's efforts in Europe played a part....
Ok so I realise now we were great yesterday... but I also hear Glos were dreadful.
Were they?

Posted by: thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 07:06

Quote:
tbr
Quote:
Rich.
Ok so I realise now we were great yesterday... but I also hear Glos were dreadful.
Were they?

Yes. It's interesting to look back a couple of weeks ago to the threads on here wailing and gnashing of teeth and questioning Lam. Not a huge amount has changed. We played slightly better but for whatever reason Gloucester also had their worst day in the office for a long, long time. Some on here over react when we win and over react when we lose

Posted by: Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 08:54

Iíve been critical of late but that was a vast improvement. Every man played well and as a team, we were cohesive and worked hard for each other (world class at the bits that donít require talent). We kept Glaws guessing with our passing, coming short and hard as well as getting around the corner. Some of the big lads were great carrying hard (Atwood did so much) and all the front row were excellent not just in the set piece but the tip on passing to move the point of contact was amazing. Also, as Pat alluded to, players engaged the gain line before hitting the pull back pass (and often got smashed) which is so much more effective - was a joy to see.
Special mention to Malton who Iíve always liked and after such a long time out, he was exceptional. If we could keep him fit, him, Thacker and Capon (and Kloska) is more than enough at 2.
Still bits to work on but much better. If only weíd played like that v Pests and Oirish!!!
Good feeling going into the break - well done Bris!!

Date: 26 January, 2020 09:08

Quote:
tbr
Quote:
Rich.
Were they?
No, even the normally tetchy Shedweb has been unusually complimentary with a number of posts saying they need to rethink/reconsider Bristol as we've become a good premiership side. Vast majority said they were just out played especially in back row and we wanted it more.

Look to the final 5 minutes or so where we made subs and let our foot off the pedal slightly; suddenly the whole game changed and Glaws were running through us, scoring tries and looking threatening. Sure, I don't think that was Glaws at their best but it wasn't their worst either and we didn't allow them to do anything.

Quote:
thorpebayexile
Quote:
tbr
Quote:
Rich.
Were they?

Yes. It's interesting to look back a couple of weeks ago to the threads on here wailing and gnashing of teeth and questioning Lam. Not a huge amount has changed. We played slightly better but for whatever reason Gloucester also had their worst day in the office for a long, long time. Some on here over react when we win and over react when we lose
We were more than slightly better than we have been regardless of opposition, it was a total binning off of the kicking/territory and defence game we've played in the league this season and back to confident, possession-based running rugby we have become known for. It was totally different to the side that lost to a truly awful Wasps performance at Ashton Gate for example.

Posted by: BS7 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 09:19

The link play and general tidying up by Dan T really does maintain the dynamic generated by Bris. Amazing how pieces of the jigsaw combine so effectively. That said, Glaws were poor even allowing for the way Bris prevented them getting any phases together until the last 10 mins. Attwood in the engine room of the pack also mixed well with the dynamic Vui. Still smiling! (Sm128)

Date: 26 January, 2020 09:28

Forgot to add to the above we still have a lot to work on; handling, cutting errors, discipline and line outs in particular.

Posted by: robtheh (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 09:29

Quote:
BS7
The link play and general tidying up by Dan T really does maintain the dynamic generated by Bris. Amazing how pieces of the jigsaw combine so effectively. That said, Glaws were poor even allowing for the way Bris prevented them getting any phases together until the last 10 mins. Attwood in the engine room of the pack also mixed well with the dynamic Vui. Still smiling! (Sm128)

I think that dynamic between Attwood & Vui is exactly how I have wanted it to work in the second row. Both were outstanding yesterday. We just need another Attwood coming through!

Posted by: hooter (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 09:43

The only problem I could see and which gifted Gloucester 9 points was are ball carriers getting isolated after the restarts, why not just kick it back long to them, every time they tried to run it back at us we were smothering them.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 11:04

It was a much improved performance. Hughes looked good, especially when he wasn't playing on the left wing. Dan Thomas does an enormous amount of high quality work. and makes a real difference to how well we play. It worries me that we don't have a similar back-up or at least a different style of play with a different player. And Malton was excellent. But... you cannot discount the opposition. For years now Gloucester have put in flakey performances every few games, particularly on the road. For most of the game they looked off the pace. Perhaps that horrid aquamarine strip makes them feel as sick as it did me.

Posted by: memnoch (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 11:30

Great match yesterday with some excellent performances.

My only query is, Sam Bedlow takes our restarts when he plays which I presume is because he has a longer kick than Callum. So why does he not kick for touch and gain us extra yards?

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 11:31

I thought there was some great handling yesterday.

As pointed out above, when we took off foot off the gas in the last 5-minutes Gloucester suddenly looked good and that does suggest that up till then it was more about how well we were playing that was preventing them from playing.

Posted by: Jimeno (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 11:42

Quote:
memnoch
Great match yesterday with some excellent performances.
My only query is, Sam Bedlow takes our restarts when he plays which I presume is because he has a longer kick than Callum. So why does he not kick for touch and gain us extra yards?

I think there must be another reason for that - I'm pretty sure Callum could stick it down near the corner like Bedlow on a restart.

So I don't really know why they do it that way - with Callum standing at left wing position - odd.

Has dropping a restart on the 10 metre line gone out of fashion?

°Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 12:13

Many players produced closed to their best individual performance, all the back row did well but MoM for me was Steve Luatua who did just about everything with fantastic work rate. Certainly the forward performed well as a unit, but they really need to support the ball carrier better to keep the ball in contact and avoid the stupid penalties given away in the first half. Listing on the ref link the ref mention isolated a number of times. Against better performing teams we will be hit more by that lack of support, particularly running it from the 22 like we did in the first half. we were certainly need to be more clinical.

One swallow and all that, doesn't disguise the previous month's failings, which was totally unacceptable. Pat needs to be working on these obvious faults from yesterday whilst aiming to get this level of consistency from the players every week.

A crucial player on current form is Bedlow, who really makes a different to the team with his all round game, rock solid in defence, good kicker and distributor he brings the best out of the players around him, and powerful runner who is deceptively fast. For me he was the outstanding back on the pitch, not sure if its an illusion, but we always seem to play with more defensive line-speed when he was on the pitch which makes such a difference to our all round game. I was unimpressed when he first signed, but seemed to have developed beyond all recognition.

Randall does seem to be working hard to distribute the ball quicker, rather than picking up before deciding what he wants to do with it, and really seems to be improving. He still has things to work on but now looks a more all round SH than the flashy runner that joined us. I used to think Uren was the far better all round player who was really solid at the basics, but not the eye-catching runner. But he does looks off form and the speed of ball seemed to slow when he came on. He is potentially a very good Prem SH and the coaches need to find a way to revive him, be that a rest, practice or what ever.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 12:14

G-L : Ben Earle would make a good backup for Dan Thomas, he might be available?
Similarly Itse? (Spelling?) the Sarries lock may come on the market to fill the Atwood role.

Our forwards performance yesterday was the best Iíve seen all season, even our replacements stood the test against a very competitive and competent Glos pack.

I was also particularly pleased for the Glos reject brigade:
Thomas, Randall, Protheroe and Purdy, i think that reflects well on our coaching staff

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 12:18

Agree about Bedlow Graham.

Posted by: tbr (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 12:33

Quote:
thorpebayexile
Quote:
tbr
Quote:
Rich.
Were they?

I'm reading this thread and re-reading it and it appears to me that actually the majority on this forum think we played much (or at least considerably) better yesterday than in that losing run we got stuck in for a bit.

Posted by: Jimeno (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 12:50

Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Agree about Bedlow Graham.

Me too. Very strong player.

°Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Posted by: Prop Joe (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 12:54

[quote ]

I'm reading this thread and re-reading it and it appears to me that actually the majority on this forum think we played much (or at least considerably) better yesterday than in that losing run we got stuck in for a bit.

Maybe the point was that although yes we did play better yesterday, most teams in this league have there ups and downs in form, look at Northampton and Gloucester yesterday compared with earlier in season. Why should we be any different. When teams are having a dip in form is it a reason for panic to set in and wholesale changes to be made? Similarly in reverse when we play well.
As fans we do overeact, Sheedy has gone from hero to zero back to hero again in a few weeks. But there again it makes this forum fun.
Fans see the best and worse rather than the middle ground but meeting other teams supporters and reading their forums most think Bristol were a good team last year and a better one this year, except the Barfers of course!

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net