Current Page: 1 of 6
Championship clubs in shock over RFUís decision to slash funding by 50%
Posted by: dpw (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2020 22:55

Quote "The Rugby Football Union is to cut its funding of the Championship by 50%, throwing Englandís second tier into turmoil and handing ďring-fencing to the Premiership on a plateĒ.

More here............
[www.theguardian.com]

Re: Championship clubs in shock over RFUís decision to slash funding by 50%
Posted by: EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2020 23:18

Completely shocking. I cant believe they're doing this. What is the justification???

Posted by: Furriner (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 06:15

Thatís so unbelievably stupid I donít. Believe it. So short sighted. Iíd be amazed if it got the backing of PRL: a functioning Champ is a real advantage to the Prem clubs as a feeder, a developmental tool and a way of stimulating interest in their wider spheres.

Posted by: thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 07:04

PRL are quite happy about it. It pretty much means that there will never be. A threat to their business from below and a sojourn in the championship is always going to be just one season. The prem clubs will still be able to lend players to championship clubs and also pinch their better young players.

I don't think it matters hugely. The championship clubs, some of them, have been overspending like the premiership clubs and this is just recognition that the game can only support a small number of professional teams and they are struggling. This will further depress player salaries which is good for clubs and bad for players.

The RFU has had a few tough financial years. The main money comes from the internationals and they have decided to focus that on grass roots game development rather than support a commercially non viable professional second division.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 08:39

I think this is good for English rugby.

*Development* - People keep talking about how the Championship develops players, but that wont go away just because the league is semi-pro, rather than professional. Good players will still be able to develop (and showcase) their talents in a competitive league. And if any precedent was needed, New Zealand have a very 'pointy' pyramid, with only 5 fully professional club sides, and a semi-pro layer supporting that. Their player development pipeline is pretty good.

*Viability* - Almost all Champ clubs operate at a massive loss. A reduction in salary costs will start to reverse this trend, which can/will only end up with more clubs ceasing to exist.

*Player welfare* - What it will mean is that players at that level are able to actually have a viable income by being able to work alongside rugby (read interview with Leeds/Nottingham prop Ben Hooper, from a couple of years back, about how hard life is for a full-time Champ pro)

Posted by: John Denver (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 09:28

[quote dpw]Quote "The Rugby Football Union is to cut its funding of the Championship by 50%, throwing Englandís second tier into turmoil and handing ďring-fencing to the Premiership on a plateĒ.

Would the "ring-fencing" leave Saracens cut adrift in the Championship?

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:02

The inability of the RFU to negotiate a decent Sponsorship deal or to sell some reasonable TV rights indicates to me that the RFU hasn't moved forward much since the days of Dudley Wood.

I think it's short sighted and, unless the Academies are further supported, will encumber player development and reduce the likelihood of further benefactors entering the game.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 11:42

PRL should take over the running of the Championship. The RFU have never had a clue about how to run it. Reducing its size to make it all-professional with no actual provision for full professionalism, not finding a sponsor for years (and then when the finally managed it reducing the funding by the amount of the sponsorship), virtually no media presence, no website etc. Actually the website was probably down to the Championship itself which seems to have almost as little idea as the RFU beyond complaining about PRL and sticking with play-offs for promotion because it suited them but getting rid of relegation ones because it didn't. Oh and asking the RFU for money rather than, as professional clubs, generating more themselves. For me the final straw was the farce about keeping Leedshire going when it clearly has no proper business plan or, at one point, any players. That's the RFU again.

The French can manage a properly professional D2 under the same control as the T14 so we ought to be able to do something similar.

Bring the 'professional' teams under one umbrella. Formalise the links between clubs (and avoid the nonsense where Hartpury can stay up largely because they became a hybrid Gloucester/Bristol A Team). Spread the parachute payment around the Championship and earmark it for infrastructure or development (level out that stupid pitch at Bedford for a start). Sort out some form of equitable funding across both divisions. And do something sensible with the academies so that they aren't linked solely to one club and the players they produce can be properly developed in the Championship by getting a chance to do that thing on a rugby pitch, what's it called, oh yes, playing.

Posted by: Peter_B (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 12:23

Iím not surprised with the financial issues at the RFU. The Championship has failed to create a fully professional league(if that was ever possible) and came up with the p***offs so they could remain part-time for most of the season and only going full time for the p#@*offs at season end. There are some good clubs down there and the rugby is good as we know but only a few of them could ever develop into Prem clubs.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 14:16

Quote:
Gray_Lensman
PRL should take over the running of the Championship. The RFU have never had a clue about how to run it. Reducing its size to make it all-professional with no actual provision for full professionalism, not finding a sponsor for years (and then when the finally managed it reducing the funding by the amount of the sponsorship), virtually no media presence, no website etc. Actually the website was probably down to the Championship itself which seems to have almost as little idea as the RFU beyond complaining about PRL and sticking with play-offs for promotion because it suited them but getting rid of relegation ones because it didn't. Oh and asking the RFU for money rather than, as professional clubs, generating more themselves. For me the final straw was the farce about keeping Leedshire going when it clearly has no proper business plan or, at one point, any players. That's the RFU again.
The French can manage a properly professional D2 under the same control as the T14 so we ought to be able to do something similar.

Bring the 'professional' teams under one umbrella. Formalise the links between clubs (and avoid the nonsense where Hartpury can stay up largely because they became a hybrid Gloucester/Bristol A Team). Spread the parachute payment around the Championship and earmark it for infrastructure or development (level out that stupid pitch at Bedford for a start). Sort out some form of equitable funding across both divisions. And do something sensible with the academies so that they aren't linked solely to one club and the players they produce can be properly developed in the Championship by getting a chance to do that thing on a rugby pitch, what's it called, oh yes, playing.
Yes.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 15:01

Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

Yes.

Alternately the RFU could hand over the running of it to my six year-old nephew. I'm sure he couldn't do a worse job and he has the added benefit of not being sozzled in gin most of the time.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 15:05

He's not sozzled on gin most of the time!!!!

Posted by: dpw (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 15:21

One Club's response..........
[www.nottinghamrugby.co.uk]

Posted by: Beer1234 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 17:36

Cornish Pirates & Coventry's response includes a proposal for how championship could change

[cornish-pirates.com]

Posted by: thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 17:39

Quote:
Hercules Spoons
The inability of the RFU to negotiate a decent Sponsorship deal or to sell some reasonable TV rights indicates to me that the RFU hasn't moved forward much since the days of Dudley Wood.
I think it's short sighted and, unless the Academies are further supported, will encumber player development and reduce the likelihood of further benefactors entering the game.

It's easy to throw stones at the RFU. The reason they can't sell it is the same reason that a good crowd at a championship game, other than for the demoted side, is less than 1000. When they showed even the play off games on TV, I understand the viewing figures were dire.

Nobody out there is really that interested other than the few hundred fans of each club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 17:40 by thorpebayexile.

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 17:46

Itís or me saying that that tbe. Read Cornish Pirates statement

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 17:49

Quote:
Gray_Lensman
He's not sozzled on gin most of the time!!!!

I can see how you could read it that way!

Posted by: RJC (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 09:01

The problem is, unless a Championship club has a benefactor that is willing to invest a lot of time and money into the club, they will never break out of the Championship.

The current RFU funding is nowhere near enough for a club to mount a challenge, and cutting this funding puts clubs and players at risk.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are us, Exeter and Wuss the only clubs to successfully escape the Championship (ND1) and all 3 had significant investment to do so.

To do this for the season that Saracens will be in the league is another insult. Clubs who will be training part time will now be playing against a team with international world class standard players throughout the starting 23.

Sarries fine should have been split between the Championship clubs.

Posted by: robtheh (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 09:25

Quote:
RJC
The problem is, unless a Championship club has a benefactor that is willing to invest a lot of time and money into the club, they will never break out of the Championship.
The current RFU funding is nowhere near enough for a club to mount a challenge, and cutting this funding puts clubs and players at risk.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are us, Exeter and Wuss the only clubs to successfully escape the Championship (ND1) and all 3 had significant investment to do so.

To do this for the season that Saracens will be in the league is another insult. Clubs who will be training part time will now be playing against a team with international world class standard players throughout the starting 23.

Sarries fine should have been split between the Championship clubs.

Hold on, Exeter had significant investment?! I thought they played for the love of the game?!

Posted by: hooter (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 09:55

Just read somewhere that championship club chairmen want a salary cap of £2.5 million for next year.

Current Page: 1 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net