Team Prediction for Northampton
Posted by: JMills (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:42

Back to business this week.

With Charles stating that he hopes to be available for the Worcester game and no further injury updates, I expect to see the same line up to the one that convincingly beat Gloucester so I will go with:
1. Woolmore
2. Malton (deserves to stay in after Glos)
3. Afoa
4. Attwood
5. Vui
6. Luatua
7. Thomas
8. Hughes
9. Randall
10. Sheedy
11. Purdy
12. Bedlow
13. O'Conor
14. Leuia
15. Morahan

16. Thacker
17. Dawe
18. Lahiff
19. Holmes
20. Hamilton
21. Uren
22. Lloyd
23. Protheroe

Re: Team Prediction for Northampton
Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 11:19

Looks good JMills. Harry Thacker is of course wonderful but this weekend I think it is up-front where we can get a good edge on Saints and so having Malton starting might not be a bad idea. Saints are without Lawes, Ludlam and possibly Mitchell up front and their pack has been a bit of a weakness for them so far this season.

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 11:33

Perhaps Eden and Joyce on the bench in place of Lloyd and Protheroe.

Posted by: JMills (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 13:14

Looking at the weather it might be best to select 14 forwards and a kicker.

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 13:42

Mitchell has been injured for a lot of this season so I doubt would have been dropped straight into the first team squad without having any match fitness, regardless of any training done with England. We still have Cobus and Taylor to cover his absence.

We are stretched in the forwards. Front row is fine, probably see Waller & van Wyk, Haywood & Fish, Owen Franks & Painter during the game. Its the locks and back row where we are thin. Its not so much selecting a side to play you, we're more in the position of who's available, not broken and not banned. Think we'll see Moon & Coles at lock, Wood, Harrison and either Tonks, Eadie or Matavasi in the back row.

In the backs we have options. Only Francis and Biggar the likely absentees.

Date: 12 February, 2020 14:11

Mind your Wood and Harrison have been great this season by all accounts. Don't know those 2nd rows. Cheers Saint Stokey

Posted by: SparkyBris (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 14:25

I'll go with...

1. J. Woolmore
2. H. Thacker
3. J. Afoa
4. D. Attwood
5. C. Vui
6. S. Luatua
7. D. Thomas
8. N. Hughes

9. H. Randall
10. C. Sheedy
11. A. Leiua
12. H. Purdy
13. P. O'Connor
14. L. Morahan
15. M. Protheroe

16. S. Malton
17. O. Dawe
18. M. Lahiff
19. E. Holmes
20. L. Hamilton
21. A. Uren
22. S. Bedlow
23. I. Lloyd

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Posted by: Ernie Ball (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 19:32

Looks like Charles Piutau might be back for Saints game (according to Evening Post)

Date: 12 February, 2020 19:59

Good news about Charles and great to also read in the article that Siale is due back in April. Season doesn't end to June this year of course!

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 20:25

Saints have a very poor disciplinary records this season, and the ref is Carley. If we can get some early scrum ascendancy, and Steve works well with the ref, we could just do this

Posted by: Jimeno (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 20:31

Oops - mistake.

°Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 20:32 by Jimeno.

Posted by: Prop Joe (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 21:01

Would like to see Bedlow continue alongside O'Connor in the centre, been impressed with him lately. Also, would still like to see Madigan on the bench. Given the expected conditions is it really beneficial to have young Lloyd to come on? As a late impact maybe, but if Sheedy gets a knock early on?

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 11:51

If the weather is as bad forecast, this could be a game for us to use Madigan (and Hurrell if fit) and play a little closer to the gainline, although I am not sure that is in Patís arsenal.

It would be interesting to see both Saints and Bris attempt to play their natural game in a storm. Iíve got a vision of 80 minutes of carnage between the 22s!

Posted by: Meerkats1970 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 13:05

Look at the Scotland team for one that kind of struggled to play a different game in different conditions. I dont see Bristol easily switching to up the jumper rugby, same for Northants maybe. Should be a handling error fest.

If they play as they did against Glouc, could be a close one.

Date: 13 February, 2020 16:02

I agree Meerkats. Mind you, I also think we need to remember how great we played with a very wet ball and pitch against Bath at the start of the season.

Off-loading becomes trickier as you need to keep two hands on the ball and ensure it doesn't slip out on contact but running and normal passing is still very possible and catching (especially from line-out after the hooker's dried the ball) can still be achieved despite what England and Scotland suggested was the case (though I appreciate it was probably a lot worse than it looked on TV).

But I hope our pack might be better equipped than Saints for the increased driving forward play that there is bound to be on Sunday. Also, although the scrums can sometimes become a lottery (especially depending on how easy the ref can be conned), once you get a drive on it is hard for the defending scrum to halt it on a slippery pitch. We have looked very good at scrum time and Saints less so on occasion, so I'm hoping for some success there as well.

Posted by: brizzly's brothers (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 12:09

Teams Up!

The return of Charles should be an interesting little dose of explosiveness to break the Saints defensive line.

Shame Thacker couldn't get fit but Malton is playing well!

very much looking forward to the return of Premiership Rugby

Cmon Bris

I would rather have a shower than a Barf!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net