Foreign & Kolpak players post Brexit
Posted by: Albertfromla (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 13:27

In yesterday's Daily Mail "Brexit puts premiership Kolpack players at risk"
Premiership clubs are seeking to increase the number of overseas player quota, to offset the loss of Kolpak stars who will lose their right to work in the UK as the2003 EU Agreement will not apply at the end of the Brexit transition period.
All premiership clubs have Kolpack players ( from S A Tonga. Samoa. Fiji ) Bristol have 7 Kolpak players and 7 other "foreign players. Premiership clubs are limited to 2 overseas players in the the match day 23 squad. A number of Prem clubs are believed to have lobbied PRL for the right to play more foreign players next season
The issue of post Brexit immigration is acute for rugby due to the high number of Kolpak players
The clubs are confident of receiving a sympathetic hearing from the Government and written into rule book that Kolpak players will retain their status for the rest of this season.
Do C P. Steven Luatua. count as Islanders or , because they have played for N. Z count as Kiwis
Who are our 7 "other foreign" players. I guess Luke Morahan and John Afoa are 2 who are the others?

Re: Foreign & Kolpak players post Brexit
Posted by: Big Dave (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 13:36

Don't worry, we'll strike a trade deal with the EU and then deals with Australia, NZ, Canada and the US, and they'll all be sorted out in the 322 days we have left to the end of the transition period, and this will be the top priority to get sorted for all of them. In fact we'll get all of these deals tied up by the end of July as we need to get everything in place for the season which starts in September. In fact May, as clubs will need to do their recruiting.

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 14:08

TLDR - I don't think much will change and if it does, it won't be overnight. Also, slightly off-topic rant about academy recruitment

It will be interesting to see how these things play out, but I think it is unlikely we will move towards a permanent solution for several years.

Under the current laws, Premiership Rugby can enforce any rule it wants on overseas players as the majority of overseas players are from Kolpak countries and cannot be discriminated against under FOM rules. This means that the two foreigners limit can be imposed regardless of whether it is arbitrary, whether it affects some clubs more than others and whether it harms the standard of our domestic game (and, by extension, harms the development of our domestic players). This is handy for PR as it allows them to talk tough without doing anything meaningful.

If this restraint is removed from PR (we will wait and see what the next few years hold), then it will have to decide what sort of overseas player policy it wants to have. It is going to have to balance the need for a high-quality competition with the need for opportunities for young English players. It will also have to consider the financial health of clubs, contracts that are already in place and many other factors which I am sure will come to light as this debate rumbles on.

If PR does decide to reward clubs which bring through players (which is fair enough), then I think it also needs to look at the inequality in clubs ability to recruit young players. I live in rural Sussex, and I know that the academy recruitment situation is entirely different here than it is to Bristol. Quins recruit from Surrey, Sussex and a big chunk of London which is a massive area. Weirdly, I am led to believe that Saracens recruit from Kent because there isn't a club in the area. In contrast, Bristol, Bath and Exeter need to fight for talent from Somerset. I don't think there are easy solutions to this, but if PR curtail the ability of clubs to recruit from overseas, then they will need to ensure that clubs have a reasonable catchment area to develop.

Back on topic, PR is owned by the clubs and by CVC. CVC want the sport to be commercially successful, and the clubs want for their businesses to work. I doubt that either the clubs or CVC would support a policy which damages the commercial interests of the clubs or makes the game less attractive to advertisers/broadcasters. The only interested party who might favour a hard-line is the RFU, but I doubt they have enough clout to overrule the wishes of the clubs and CVC.

Posted by: Meng (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 18:32

Players and pundits rally around Six Nations star as he fails test to remain in the UK.

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2020 18:34 by Meng.

Posted by: tbr (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 20:17

Quote:
Meng
Players and pundits rally around Six Nations star as he fails test to remain in the UK.
[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Jeez. That's really cr@p eh?

I did the 1st quiz and got 24/24 so wondered why on earth James Haskell only got 11/24 on his quiz.
So I did *his* quiz. (Quiz 15).
And I got 15/24 (nine wrong).
That was HARD.

All this stuff is so depressing....

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 21:34

We're all going to die now we're out of Europe. (I read that in the D Mail or the Guardian)

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 08:08

Well I failed the test, basically being out by a couple of years on the dates... also a tax question which i still disagree with answers as it pretends VAT isn't a thing.

Do I get deported now? Pretty awful way to decide citizenship/status.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 09:01

Rinky, I'd keep stum if I was you, as there's prob a few from other sites who would happily pass your name to the authorities! smiling smiley

I see the 'thinking' behind such a test but forcing people to research and learn certain facts is clearly not going to, in any way, filter out those who are less willing to integrate well into our society etc. No doubt there are websites with suggested things to remember and someone having a good memory to be able to remember them says nothing about their 'suitability' to integrate etc.

You can be sure there will be no questions about the Peasants Revolt, the Poll Tax, the Jarrow Marchers etc etc!!

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 10:49

Quote:
Hercules Spoons
We're all going to die now we're out of Europe. (I read that in the D Mail or the Guardian)

I hate to break this to you but we *are* all going to die outside Europe. Or inside it. Or somewhere.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 10:58

I have a history degree and did really badly in the test! Because, and this may come as a surprise, specific dates aren't that important. It's about analysing processes, data and sources in a critical way. Plus one of the questions has either the wrong answer or is incorrectly written.

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 14:39

Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

I hate to break this to you but we *are* all going to die outside Europe. Or inside it. Or somewhere.

That was the point G-L

Posted by: thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 16:16

Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

That was the point G-L

As long as it's not today. I've just opened a bottle of Saint Émilion for tonight. Back to Bretagne cidre tomorrow, so I hope I last till Sunday. Ideally after the match

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2020 16:16 by thorpebayexile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net