Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Resuming the season
Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 15:41

Beat me to it Rich, I was going to suggest how could you tell they had dug it up, the photos I've seen make it look better than when we played there.
If they are going to restart any time soon then I'm not sure they can risk players in home isolation mixing with families while the virus is still in the population, and we only have weak data to measure that. To me the key is to be as sure as possible that all participants are virus free in both training and match environment so distancing can be relaxed.
I was suspect if one player has it in a match, more so in training, then there must be a 75% chance of the others getting by the end of the match, unless the player hardly touches the ball. As soon as they are tackled one of the forwards will be involved in the brakedown, who will spend the rest of match passing it on at scrums and ruck/mauls etc. By the end of the game that could be both teams struggling to put out a team for the next fixture.
Several pods have talked about total isolation to get through the games as quickly as possible, hence Twickenham and Coventry suggested as both have hotels attached to support isolation. Not sure it needs to be on site isolation as there are plenty of hotels with fields for training which would allow teams to train in private, then be bused to and from the venue.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Posted by: NickBeard (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 16:05

Think the real issue here isn't keeping distance from one another, it's making a whole location bio-secure and ensuring that all who go into the bubble are regularly tested. If you know everyone who is playing tested negative 2 days ago, and that they have not been in contact with the outside world since, you will feel confident of playing.

Ashton Gate will almost certainly be used for rugby I would guess as long as there isn't a clash with football games. I believe Bristol City have arranged to have a particular country hotel as a base if and when they return which is close to their training ground. Surely Bristol will do the same.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 16:56

BBC online report gives the criteria of the type of ground needed (as decided by Prem Rugby) and suggest Twickenham and Ricoh don't meet them all.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2020 08:56 by Rich..

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 09:12

I would have thought that would rule out AG, as they want sole control which I can't see City accepting. Also need to understand the nearby training facility criteria, but there a rugby club up the road from Ricoh was not good enough.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 16:44

I guess Bristol will soon have two training facilities available

Also if a specific period was negotiated, it would be possible for the lessee to have sole control for that period

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 19:05

Looking at the criteria I think that Sixways has a good shout We even have a CORVID-19 testing station already on site. In the 20+ acres we have 6 pitches, plus another two and a club house with full changing facilities at the amateur club , an indoot training facility the size of a rugby pitch and a David Lloyd centre next door. Some may not like the pitch but it is durable. All off the M5 as well.

C'mon you Bristol Old Boys.

Posted by: JMills (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 09:26

Sounds ideal except for the pitch. We have had to leave players out before due to previous imjuries and cant imagine the players would be keen.

Also the thought of playing every game at Sixways fills me with dread, we would probably find some way to get relegated.

Posted by: Peter D (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 10:15

I love the idea that there are "Corvid" testing facilities there - we don't want any games interrupted by a murder of crows.

Posted by: Jimeno (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 10:23

Quote:
Peter D
I love the idea that there are "Corvid" testing facilities there - we don't want any games interrupted by a murder of crows.

(Sm22)

...however in all my writings over the last few months I can't be sure I've never made the same mistake.

ˇVamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 13:36

Seagulls would be more likely, well spotted Peter D. Love your back humour JMills.

C'mon you Bristol Old Boys

Posted by: SparkyBris (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 09:26

So, it looks like we'll be seeing Premier League Football again from the middle(ish) of June. A few players have voiced their concerns, with Raheem Sterling saying in a video interview with Megan Rapinoe, that they need 4-5 weeks of training before being prepared to play at top level.

A couple of weeks ago, when asked about time needed to restart the season, Jamie George said on Rugby Tonight that he feels 3-4 weeks would be about right in order to get ready for the physical nature of rugby. Mako Vunipola said something very similar in an earlier interview too.

So my question is, why longer for the round-ballers? I know some of you on here have an affinity with football so might be able to provide some insight? - my gut feeling is that they're waiting for barber shops and nail bars to be able to re-open... but that might be slightly prejudiced of me (Sm102)

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Date: 19 May, 2020 20:35

We've officially put forward AG to host all the remaining 19/20 Prem matches (though no decision yet on if the Prem will use one or two grounds).

Posted by: Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 21:51

just throw in the madstad to the mix, hotel, ground, indoor training, etc

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 11:56

The madstad would be ideal for spectator-less games as it already has no atmosphere!

Posted by: dpw (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 17:55

"...........the season may not resume until August at the earliest"
BBC Report here..........

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 18:06

So will we see an end to players spitting in football and rugby. Yes I know there is contact between players anyway, but spitting surely increases the chances of transfer, particularly if you had several games being played on the same pitch over a short period of time. Would players be able to change their habits and what would be the sanctions if they didn't?

Date: 21 May, 2020 20:00

I think their aim would be to ensure as best as possible that my no-one playing has it. But I'm sure spitting will be a no no - though some people sometimes 'need' to so if the alternative is a sneaky spit into your hand and wipe into shirt then that would be worse.

Pat says they need 4 weeks from start of training to start of playing so the more optimistic view is mid July still on (but getting shakier). I'm always an optimist mind!

Date: 29 May, 2020 09:58

Wales on line quoting the Mail with what will be good news for clubs (as this was the thing stopping small groups of non-contact training at clubs starting). But it 'seems' to suggest they can still remain on furlough even when contact training resumes which would be great if the players OK with that

The Daily Mail report HMRC have advised a return to initial training would not invalidate terms of the furlough scheme as players would not be earning income or be providing a service to their employers.

But when matches resume, players would have to be taken off the Government-backed furlough scheme.

Posted by: John Denver (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2020 10:29

There was an article in The Rugby Paper two days ago under the headline "Bristol Bears get set to welcome fans back to Ashton Gate" - Mark Tainton stating that the ground could comfortably accommodate 8-10,000 fans with social distancing. Could that be season ticket holders?

Posted by: BS7 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2020 11:22

Quote:
John Denver
There was an article in The Rugby Paper two days ago under the headline "Bristol Bears get set to welcome fans back to Ashton Gate" - Mark Tainton stating that the ground could comfortably accommodate 8-10,000 fans with social distancing. Could that be season ticket holders?
Yes, I saw that but if you are sat middle row, do you have to stay put for 90ish minutes as you wouldn’t be able to squeeze past any other supporters?

Current Page: 2 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net