‘I got a call from Pat Lam saying they’re looking to put together the strongest squad’ – Max Malins explains Bristol loan move
Posted by: BigO (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 11:07

A very interesting read...

[www.therugbypaper.co.uk]

Re: ‘I got a call from Pat Lam saying they’re looking to put together the strongest squad’ – Max Malins explains Bristol loan move
Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 16:41

It is an interesting read BigO, thanks.
I think he's more likely to challenge for no10 than F/B but, may be used as we used Ioan Lloyd last year, to cover both positions and add some 'zip' as a replacement.

I am pleased our DoR is so pro-active, just imagine if the phone call had been from Stuart Hooper?

Re: ‘I got a call from Pat Lam saying they’re looking to put together the strongest squad’ – Max Malins explains Bristol loan move
Posted by: youngone (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 16:55

He's a class player who will certainly push Sheedy to the next level and i think there's a good chance he could re-sign at the end of the loan period, particularly if we have a strong season. That training facility would be hard to say goodbye to once you get used to it.

It's just starting to sink in how much we have strengthened for next year. I know we have lost quality players but with Radradra, Naulago, Sinckler, Earl and Mallins we have added serious quality. Supplemented with other signings (Cook, Eadie etc) and the promotions through the academy we seem to be getting this R&R malarkey just right. Only time will tell, though.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 11:24

I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance of him joining Bristol permanently once The Cheats are back in the Premiership and continuing business as usual.

Posted by: Cotman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 11:40

Quote:
SimonG19
I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance of him joining Bristol permanently once The Cheats are back in the Premiership and continuing business as usual.

It depends which club offers more money I'd guess.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 11:56

Surely everyone stayed at $aracen$ because of the culture? Material considerations never came into it. Or did I get that wrong?

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 12:28

Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Surely everyone stayed at $aracen$ because of the culture? Material considerations never came into it. Or did I get that wrong?

I think the truth will lie somewhere in the middle.

Posted by: trummy200 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 14:50

As a rugby supporter per sec I am disappointed that Bristol have decided to help the Cheaters and their players out. I think they should be left to stew in their own juice (making)

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 18:33

Quote:
trummy200
As a rugby supporter per sec I am disappointed that Bristol have decided to help the Cheaters and their players out. I think they should be left to stew in their own juice (making)

As a Bristol supporter I agree, the only way it made sense for me was to have the option of signing the players permanently (which was later confirmed by Saracens staff to be the case, they may not return). Pat has done so much right though I'm trusting he's made the right decision again.

Posted by: Furriner (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2020 14:49

I think Pat’s given himself and his management team a mighty big headache for next season: the gulf between first and second choice in several positions is going to be so slim as to be virtually non-existent. I’m looking forward to it!

Date: 24 May, 2020 20:18

Quote:
Furriner
I think Pat’s given himself and his management team a mighty big headache for next season: the gulf between first and second choice in several positions is going to be so slim as to be virtually non-existent. I’m looking forward to it!

I agree, it’s such a great sign of progress. I remember the first game of the 18/19 season. I was looking at the Bath bench and thinking “so they’re bringing Stoke, Louw, Burns and Brew off the bench?” Our first XV was just as good (give or take), but we didn’t have that sort of quality in depth.

Next year, we’re going to have game changing flair coming off the bench. Afoa, Thomas or Earl, Malins or Sheedy (or perhaps Lloyd), POC / Purdy / Leuia etc etc. With the exception of Radrada and CP, I’d probably just shrug my shoulders about any injury now.

Posted by: McSaracens (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 20:29

Re Max, he alongside Ben Earl have re-signed through till 2023 at Sarries.

You’ll love these two next season, Ben is genuinely one of the best young players I have seen come through the club. Max is super talented, I know Sarries have him ear marked to replace Alex Goode at fullback so would expect him to play more at 15 for you. Brilliant second distributor for your outside backs.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 22:32

Quote:
McSaracens
You’ll love these two next season, Ben is genuinely one of the best young players I have seen come through the club. Max is super talented, I know Sarries have him ear marked to replace Alex Goode at fullback so would expect him to play more at 15 for you. Brilliant second distributor for your outside backs.

Gut feeling for me is he's much more likely to get minutes at 10. Can't see Piutau moving from there personally. Excited to have them on board for next season (and possibly the end of this?)

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 00:12

Quote:
McSaracens
Yes but we definitely have an option to sign Malins and Earl permanently (maybe buy them out?) as confirmed by Sanderson;

Quote:
Ask Sanderson if he expects to see all the loan players return and he is optimistic, but also pragmatic.
“It’s always the risk if you send them to another good environment, like Bristol. But for the most part we back ourselves for them to want to come back– and there are strong signs that they will, but we’ll see.

If they do well here I hope they stay rather than return to Saracens and I guess Pat is thinking the same.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 08:12

Quote:
James_P
Quote:
McSaracens

Gut feeling for me is he's much more likely to get minutes at 10. Can't see Piutau moving from there personally. Excited to have them on board for next season (and possibly the end of this?)

But within the timeframe of what might be almost one normal season there will be 22 Prem matches for 20/21 plus 9 - 11 for 19/20 Prem season plus 1-3 Euro 19/20 season matches plus 6 - 9 Euro 20/21 matches. That's potentially 45 matches!! Agree CP won't move position to accommodate Malins but we will need both of them big style as CP won't be playing anything near 45 matches.

Date: 26 May, 2020 11:13

I expect him to play more at 10, the interview about his injuries this year seem to indicate that he wanted to stake a claim for the 10 shirt with Faz away at the RWC.

I agree with Rich that CP (and the rest of the squad) will have to be managed through this congested double-season. The good news is that we’ve got Malins and Lloyd who are comfortable at 10/15, POC who can play 13 / wing (and 15 in a pinch), Purdy, Leuia and Redrada who can play 13 / wing so we have a lot of flexibility. The only area in the back line where I feel that we are a bit rigid is at 12, but I am sure Pat has something up his sleeve for if Bedlow and SP get injured.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 12:19

Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
McSaracens
Yes but we definitely have an option to sign Malins and Earl permanently (maybe buy them out?) as confirmed by Sanderson;

Quote:
Ask Sanderson if he expects to see all the loan players return and he is optimistic, but also pragmatic.
“It’s always the risk if you send them to another good environment, like Bristol. But for the most part we back ourselves for them to want to come back– and there are strong signs that they will, but we’ll see.

If they do well here I hope they stay rather than return to Saracens and I guess Pat is thinking the same.

It will probably depend very much on what Bristol put on the table and whether that can match what is offered under the table.

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 14:39

Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
James_P
Quote:
McSaracens

But within the timeframe of what might be almost one normal season there will be 22 Prem matches for 20/21 plus 9 - 11 for 19/20 Prem season plus 1-3 Euro 19/20 season matches plus 6 - 9 Euro 20/21 matches. That's potentially 45 matches!! Agree CP won't move position to accommodate Malins but we will need both of them big style as CP won't be playing anything near 45 matches.

Blimey, didn't realise quite how many games would need to be played in a condensed period!

Posted by: Peter_B (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 16:01

Will they have to expunge all of Saracens results? Then they only have to play in the Championship when that starts up.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 17:17

Quote:
McSaracens

We’re not here to‘bring him on’ to replace Goode MCS

I’m looking forward to seeing the two of them integrate with the array of talent we’ve managed to accumulate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net