Current Page: 1 of 2
Salary cap reduction ramifications
Posted by: JMills (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 08:50

It has been announced that Gloucester will be losing 3 of their top players to Japan. Mostert, Marais and Marshall. Owen Williams had previously already agreed a move.

There are also rumours that Ibitoye from Quins is on the verge of a move to France. Quite concerning if players on the verge of the England squad are choosing to head abroad.

The reduction of the salary cap looks like it could lead to a bit of an exodus of top talent from the Premiership.

Re: Salary cap reduction ramifications
Posted by: RJC (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 09:19

Rumour on WalesOnline that Johnny Williams will be moving to Scarlets from Newcastle. He played for England in the uncapped match last year, but his Dad is Welsh.

I think it's only inevitable that young talent or overlooked (international) English talent will look away from the Premiership if they haven't been secured on long term deals.

Squads will, and have shrunk already. Us and Quins have announced 18+ leavers recently with a fraction coming the other way.

Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 14:55

I really don't know what they were expecting when they reduced wages by 25% with no consultation. Entirely predictable.

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 16:56

Nail, hit, head FM

Posted by: Furriner (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 18:52

Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Nail, hit, head FM

Precisely

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 20:33

They’re not stupid; they knew this would happen but they decided that it was worth it.

Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2020 23:14

Probably also true TimothyQ. Can't deny that the Prem will be a worse place without these guys though. Talk of Ibitoye moving too, which is a travesty really.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 09:57

Supposedly 12 players could be leaving Leicester because of a refusal to sign new contracts with reduced salary by tomorrow. The day before Borthwick starts. It sounds messy and even if resolved it won't be amicable

Posted by: John Denver (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 10:45

Yes Gray, I saw that and if you look on the Leicester site under the "Bezier" thread, there was a rumour that a potential buyer of that club had his sights on Maro Itoje & Charles Piatau. Agent talk stirring it up?

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 10:57

I thought that was a joke, there's no mention of Itoje or Piatau in the original French or Spanish articles

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 11:47

Just been to see Tigers site - ooh dear sounds dreadful (how lucky we are!!). No I read that comment re Piutau etc as a joke comment. Fear ye not!

Posted by: RJC (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 12:09

I'm kind of reminded of the period after we were beaten by Exeter in the Championship Final, and we said 50% pay cuts or move on (words to that effect), and how much heartbreak there was at that time.

I am heartened to hear of Lansdown's continued support in these times, and Pat Lam's words about the salary cap, and how Bristol manage it.
It gives me real hope that they can ride out these uncertain times and remain within the letter of the law whilst also being fair to the players.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 12:13

Quote:
Rich.
Just been to see Tigers site - ooh dear sounds dreadful (how lucky we are!!). No I read that comment re Piutau etc as a joke comment. Fear ye not!

Sounds bad but there are two very well-known stirrers on the thread who have a habit of posting unsubstantiated statements in an attempt to gain support for their prejudices so we shall have to wait and see.

Date: 30 June, 2020 12:11

The below is taken from Shedweb, Leicester in all sorts of bother. Even if they do sign the morale is likely to be low. So glad we have Pat Lam running our club.

Per today's Times -

Manu Tuilagi, George Ford and Ellis Genge are among the Leicester Tigers contract rebels who face being released by the club unless they agree new deals by tonight.

The England trio have so far declined to sign revised terms as part of the club’s urgent bid to reduce their wage bill, in what appears to be a game of brinkmanship with Leicester.

When the Gallagher Premiership clubs voted to reduce the base level of the salary cap from £6.4 million to £5 million, there was a scramble to re-sign players on amended contracts. In many cases, players were offered longer contracts but at a reduced rate, against the backdrop of threats of a permanent 25 per cent pay reduction. Ben Youngs, Tom Youngs and Dan Cole are among the big names at Leicester to have signed such deals. About a dozen Leicester players — including Tuilagi, 29, Ford, 27, and Genge, 25 — are still holding out. The club have set a deadline of 5pm today for those players to declare whether they are in or out.

Posted by: Jim H (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 14:17

The Daily Mail seem to think that Irish are in the same position - players refusing to take pay cuts...

Posted by: Stevie_Wonder (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 15:28

[quote JMills]The below is taken from Shedweb, Leicester in all sorts of bother. Even if they do sign the morale is likely to be low. So glad we have Pat Lam running our club.

I think this one is due to Steve Lansdown more than Pat Lam... Fair play to him honouring everything as he has done.

On the topic in general, I'm on the fence. The players have contracts in place that they want honoured, understandably. They have short careers. However... These are pretty unprecedented times at the moment. Many (not every) family up and down the land are either out of work, on furlough with a 20% pay cut or fearing for their job like never before. Why should rugby players be exempt from that?

I run a small business. Covid means that our turnover will be reduced significantly. As an employer I cannot afford to retain all of my staff at current levels for the foreseeable future. Rugby club income has been decimated, how are they meant to afford to pay everybody the same? Collectively the country has to accept that things will be different moving forward...

As always in this case there will be the clubs / owners on one side and the players on the other. The likely "sensible" outcome will lie somewhere in the middle of their positions.

Date: 30 June, 2020 16:17

The comment about Pat Lam was more to do with how he communicates with the players and the culture he has developed. It was stated before that we were the only team who didn't threaten legal action about the initial drop in salary.

Leicester appear to have set their players a strict deadline, accept a permanent reduction or leave. Gloucester have also seen several of their best players leave.

Completely agree and understand with all the points mentioned Stevie_Wonder and clearly changes are needed. I am just thankful that our club seem to be doing things the right way and speaking with the players.

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 16:49

It threatens to devalue the standard of rugby in the Premier League, as predicted by SL

Does anyone know how other countries are dealing with it?

Posted by: Jimeno (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 17:16

Ford and Genge have just committed to Tigers

¡Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Posted by: Earlsbris (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 22:21

Have we re-signed players on longer deals? Can’t see it mentioned anywhere

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net