Current Page: 1 of 3
New on the market
Posted by: Furriner (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 08:48

Looks as if several players have chosen to walk away from Tiggers rather than accept the pay cut the Club is enforcing. I wonder if the likes of Tuilagi and Eastmond have got berths lined up for next season. Manu might be an asset. Still young enough to do a job.

Re: New on the market
Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 09:06

Tuilagi will be going abroad, there's no way anyone in England has room in the cap for him at this stage. Plus there will almost certainly be legal action because essentially Tigers have unilaterally terminated his contract. Who wants to be associated with that?

Interesting task for Borthwick to come in and rebuild trust and morale.

Posted by: SparkyBris (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 09:29

Suggestions that the Prem clubs have agreed not to ‘poach’ each other’s players in this scenario, so Manu et al could well be off abroad...?

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Posted by: Charlie1 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 10:47

It is Leicester that is in breach of contract not him. If he wants the England squad plus match fees and the best chance of making the Lions tour with that substantial fee he will most likely try and stay in the Premiership and sue Leicester for the shortfall between what he can now earn with another club and what he should contractually have received. Although I’d love to see it I can’t necessarily see him fitting in with our style of play but he lives in the Midlands and the short drive to Northampton could well work out for both parties.

Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 10:48

Can you imagine.
Manu, Radradra, C Piutau, Morahan and Naulago running riot?
Perhaps lacking a little finesse but Christ on a bike.

Not going to happen, granted, but the thought of it.

Posted by: Bris21 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 11:02

I'd fancy signing Kyle Eastmond. Would be a great option at 12 if he could stay fit.

Date: 02 July, 2020 12:01

I really don't think Eastmond would be Pat's kind of person at all.

Posted by: memnoch (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 12:28

Quote:
Field marshall
I really don't think Eastmond would be Pat's kind of person at all.

Totally agree with this.

Posted by: gaudi (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 13:19

Agree with FM and somebody must have the stats on weeks out with international calls / injuries and what with Eng sure to drum up all sorts of money raising fixtures , how many weeks would he be available. Together with Ellis G with all the noises emanating therefrom as much as I wish he had come back I think he’s gone for good.

Given the rotation that is likely over the next 12 months must be really bad bang for buck returns?

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 14:31

As others have alluded to, unless they have paid him off, I don't see how Leicester can unilaterally terminate an existing contract because it no longer suits them.

Wish him well, but i wouldn't want him here..... great player on his day, but awful value for money in terms of the salary cap.

Posted by: youngone (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 15:50

I would imagine Barrett would be the best option of the recently available centres. Not suggesting we should sign him if the price wasn't right but he could do a job for a few seasons, he knows what a successful team requires and the saracens backline has always moved just fine with him at 12 despite him not being a distributor primarily in my eyes.

It would seem a bit "bristol buying all the players" if we signed any of them but centre is somewhere we are potentially light and three quality players have just become available so will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Posted by: RJC (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 16:14

I can't help but think that PL will wait to see if Siale or Bedlow get injured and then use any injury dispensation to sign cover.
I can't see that he'd want to use the cap at this stage on players that would want more than a one year contract.

And as others have said he won't get value for money with Tuilagi or Eastmond.

Bryan Byrne is a different matter with his one year contract, as that gives much needed cover and development time for Capon and Kloska

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 20:14

Quote:
youngone
I would imagine Barrett would be the best option of the recently available centres. Not suggesting we should sign him if the price wasn't right but he could do a job for a few seasons, he knows what a successful team requires and the saracens backline has always moved just fine with him at 12 despite him not being a distributor primarily in my eyes.

I suspect if he felt physically and mentally able to play on at this level, he and Sarries would have agreed an extension.

Posted by: youngone (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 20:20

Yeah, I've since seen that he has stated in an interview he has no interest in moving to another UK club. Likeliest option is back to SA to get in with a provincial side ahead of the lions tour.

For what its worth i am quite happy with our centre options, whilst some people question SPs distribution our attacking structure is such that successful attacks don't hinge on the creative distribution of your centres, it would just be nice to have a clear and obvious third choice 12 in case of injuries. If SP and Bedlow got injured on day one, who would our starting 12 be and who would cover the bench? And then who would start at 12 for the A team etc.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 22:29

I don't see us being light in Center in terms of Prem level players. Bedlow and O'Connor were really good last year and SP back from injury and now SR as well! That's 4 quality centers so we don't need another quality one even if we could afford it IMO - those current 4 who I mentioned will want to be playing.

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 10:33

Isn't the theory that Tiff Eden is a backup 12? Just so long as they don't put Leiua there again, who is great at 13, but looked totally lost at 12.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Date: 04 July, 2020 12:36

Quote:
Field marshall
Can you imagine.
Manu, Radradra, C Piutau, Morahan and Naulago running riot?
Perhaps lacking a little finesse but Christ on a bike.

Not going to happen, granted, but the thought of it.

I know I said this, Rugbypass are reporting that we are chasing "hard" for Manu. Large pinch of salt required; our name gets dropped for every high profile player who's available. But what if?
I'd be amazed if we did sign him but overjoyed. He's an incredible rugby player.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 13:21

Why would we want him? Expensive and either away for England or injured. Sometimes both.

Posted by: gaudi (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 13:49

In the case Tuilagi the RFU have stated no exception to the England selection policy if he goes overseas so if Eddy wants him will the RFU be encouraged to throw some cash at a fashionable club like them down the road to keep him in the UK, there is a precedent.

I suppose the end of this season and into next will throw all sorts of variables into the mix, the flurry of contract extensions to manipulate the cap may alleviate part of the problem but an aspect with the proposed synchronisation of seasons, if next year the season end is pushed out will we lose the loanees from Sarries back just when we need them most? I’d imagine their contracts terminate end of June?

Posted by: Cotman (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 14:02

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net