Current Page: 1 of 3
New defence coach
Posted by: Grizzly Adams (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 19:13

Bristol Bears are delighted to confirm the arrival of Omar Mouneimne as the clubís new defence coach with immediate effect.

Not sure on this Wuss forum weíre glad to see him go

Re: New defence coach
Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 20:20

Well that is some news.
Omar is definitly marmite and it is good that we have a coach moving in the opposite direction.
I have a great regard for Pat Lam so I would not pour any cold water on this appointment. Omar has a very interesting back story and is undoubtably a very talented coach. He is as mad a box of frogs. I wish him well from this Wuss supporter, in the right envoirinment he could be a gem , in the wrong one he could be a diaster,

Posted by: youngone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 20:36

This is really interesting news. It will all come down to how he meshes with the squad and other coaches I geuss, exciting times ahead!

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 20:57

If Pat is happy, I'm happy.

Posted by: Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 22:42

Knowing something of this man would not have thought he was Lam's 'type'. Will be very interested to see how this pans out.

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 00:40

Worcester forum are not complimentary of Omar at all, and that's being generous.

Pat knows his stuff though so I'll believe he's made the right call.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 06:44

Worcester's defensive stats under this guy are very unimpressive. Except for tackles made. I'm not sure having to tackle a lot validates the strategy though

Posted by: BS7 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 08:22

Hope Iím wrong but not a good feeling over this and comparing to what weíve lost. Time will tell & as stated before, in Pat we trust. (Hope itís not just players Pat improves?)

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 08:36

Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Worcester's defensive stats under this guy are very unimpressive. Except for tackles made. I'm not sure having to tackle a lot validates the strategy though

What are the stats? If, e.g, they are making lots of tackles compared to other teams then you would expect their missed tackle rate to be higher all being equal.

Stats can be very misleading anyway. If, e.g. Duncan Weir is a poor tackler he may account for a good number of missed tackles and some players won't be effective tacklers whoever the coach is. Also teams who try to keep the ball rather than kick it will have less defending to do so that will affect their stats. Pat will have taken great care with this and I certainly trust him to have made the right call

Posted by: RJC (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 08:37

Worries me that Omar 'Called' Pat to get a job, and not the other way around. Was that before or after he left Wuss?

Although Wuss have terrible defensive stats, a long time grumble of theirs is they can't retain possession long enough to form an attack, and when they could they would struggle to finish it off.

We know from the past that without the ball even the best defence can be beaten eventually.

What can be said is it's Pat's vision, and everyone has to buy into that, so if Omar does, and his approach mirrors Pat's then maybe we're onto a good thing, if not then I'm sure Pat will find someone different.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 08:48

Quotes;

Director of Rugby Pat Lam said: ďWhen Omar contacted me wanting to be part of the Bears journey it was a no brainer for me. While our Defence philosophy and systems are very much aligned, itís his passion, enthusiasm and experience which will help take our D to the next level. We all saw first-hand the impact he made to Worcesterís defence and how difficult it can be to attack against.

ďOmar is a real competitor and is inspired by our vision to be successful on and off the field. Itís great to have him on board with our coaching team and I have no doubt he will add real value to the Bears.Ē

A hugely experienced coach, Mouneimne began his coaching career with South Africa Sevens, before helping Super Rugby side the Stormers to the 2010 final. He served as defence coach for Italy in 2011 when the Azzurri beat France for the first time in the Six Nations.

The South African also has coaching experience in the PRO14 with Edinburgh, the Top14 with Stade Francais and Lyon and Super Rugby with the Sharks.

He said: ďEverybody in the sport is sitting up and taking notice of what is going on at Bristol and the culture that they are building. Itís a really exciting time for the club and for me to come onboard and contribute to a team that can genuinely challenge for silverware.

ďIím looking forward to working with Pat and the coaching team Ė itís a quality squad with focus and self-belief. We want to be a team that is ruthless in defence and attack and can dominate in the Premiership and Europe. I canít wait to get started.Ē

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 09:14

We'll have to see how he turns out. No mention of the length of contract either. But we know that Pat develops coaches, and he's clearly seen something, or maybe this is an interim appointment?
Looking on the Wuss board it is interesting how they're blaming him for the a whole raft of things such as the strategy of kicking to touch and so on - they do realise that those tactics are set out by the DoR don't they? I'm surprised they're not also blaming him for the speed of service at the bars or the quality of the burgers on sale

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 09:32

Quote:
RJC
Although Wuss have terrible defensive stats, a long time grumble of theirs is they can't retain possession long enough to form an attack, and when they could they would struggle to finish it off.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well. When I've seen them play Wuss haven't kept the ball particularly well which is likely to contribute to this. Weirdly they've regularly done pretty well against Chiefs, who keep the ball phase after phase so would suggest the defensive system is decent when set and digging in with possibly more of an issue with turnover ball?

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 10:28

As I said in my post above , in the right envoironment Omar could be a gem. He is also a martial arts specilaist and has worked on tackle techniques. He has been banned from the touchline on a couple of occassions for shall we say over exuberent behaviour. I liked Omea he is a character, you will love him or hate him. I wish him good fortune.

Posted by: Prop Joe (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 10:31

Just by looking at the stats, Worcester have scored fewest points in the league but points conceded they rank 7th, only 35 points more than Bristol after 13 games. Stats can lie but this doesn't point to a poor defence.
Also Jonathon Thomas was criticised on this site for being a rookie and similarly John Muldoon.

Posted by: Ake1985 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 10:35

Quote:
AGS
We'll have to see how he turns out. No mention of the length of contract either. But we know that Pat develops coaches, and he's clearly seen something, or maybe this is an interim appointment?
Looking on the Wuss board it is interesting how they're blaming him for the a whole raft of things such as the strategy of kicking to touch and so on - they do realise that those tactics are set out by the DoR don't they? I'm surprised they're not also blaming him for the speed of service at the bars or the quality of the burgers on sale

Omar was also responsible for the kicking strategy as well as defence at Warriors. If he is left to just focus on defence I think he will do a decent job for you...his kicking strategy is aimless and frustrating.

I felt he improved our defence within our 10 metres when its tight but our overall defensive strategy was often lacking. Hope under Pat Lam that he does well for you though

Posted by: Sit_Down (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 11:09

I'm still concerned at all the coaching changes. I trust in Pat of course, but not blindly.

JT was developing nicely, that said he was "inherited".

There's no doubt that when "Iro" took over as scrum coach we became much more solid. Though I've heard good things about Dickinson.

But our skill levels went through the roof with Bruce. I've known Beanie years and I've no doubt he'll do an excellent job, but the churn really does concern me.

It must create an element of instability - something that I though we had finally got rid of. You've not seen Sarries or Exeter meddling with their coach setup every few years.

I can't help but feel there's something gone on which has led to this...change on this scale doesn't just happen naturally in my experience.

Posted by: Bs7 Bears (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 11:23

Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

What are the stats? If, e.g, they are making lots of tackles compared to other teams then you would expect their missed tackle rate to be higher all being equal.

Stats can be very misleading anyway. If, e.g. Duncan Weir is a poor tackler he may account for a good number of missed tackles and some players won't be effective tacklers whoever the coach is. Also teams who try to keep the ball rather than kick it will have less defending to do so that will affect their stats. Pat will have taken great care with this and I certainly trust him to have made the right call

Statistics

2019-2020 Team Stats†† †† †† †

MOST POINTS

EXETER CHIEFS

WASPS

SARACENS

MOST TRIES

EXETER CHIEFS

SARACENS

SALE SHARKS

WASPS

METRES GAINED

BRISTOL BEARS

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

EXETER CHIEFS

MOST CARRIES

BRISTOL BEARS

EXETER CHIEFS

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

CLEAN BREAKS

BRISTOL BEARS

GLOUCESTER RUGBY

WASPS

SALE SHARKS

DEFENDERS BEATEN

BRISTOL BEARS

EXETER CHIEFS

WASPS

MOST PASSES

BRISTOL BEARS

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

GLOUCESTER RUGBY

MOST TACKLES

LONDON IRISH

LEICESTER TIGERS

EXETER CHIEFS

TURNOVERS WON

LONDON IRISH

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

WASPS

PENALTIES CONCEDED

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

LONDON IRISH

GLOUCESTER RUGBY

Posted by: Furriner (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 12:11

Thatís an impressive set of stats, until you try to draw positive conclusions about outcomes. With all that successful running about and breaking the line, why arenít we up there with the leaders on tries/points scored? Not so impressed with our current coaching set-up then.

Posted by: Bs7 Bears (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 13:34

Quote:
Furriner
Thatís an impressive set of stats, until you try to draw positive conclusions about outcomes. With all that successful running about and breaking the line, why arenít we up there with the leaders on tries/points scored? Not so impressed with our current coaching set-up then.

We go for the 3 points a lot not going for touch and driving the ball over the line.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net