Pre-season Games
Posted by: Madtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2018 17:23

Thought I'd start the thread early, Will YC be adventurous and actually have some meaningful pre-season games so that they can hit the season ready for the likes if Ealing and London Irish, the 2 teams that will be challenging to be top dog come April 2019.
Personally I think Rotherham and possibly Sale would be a good hit out.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

Re: Pre-season Games
Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2018 19:07

DMP would be good, great stadium, close to Leeming(Sm134)

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2018 19:41

I would say that it is not adventurous to have pre-season games - it's a vital necessity.

Not only does it get the team working in full contact mode but it generates interest for fans and sets the scene for the forthcoming season.

This past season was lost in the first few weeks by not having any pre-season games. The one official pre-season game, against Glaws was cancelled due to "lack of fit props". I think in reality (having spoken to one of our players during training at Kirkstall) it was because we didn't have a complete back line and J-Lo was furious that he couldn't practice any moves.

Posted by: Bobba (IP Logged)
Date: 02 May, 2018 09:57

The question is a non starter. I have every confidence that there will be pre-season friendlies. We are in a different situation than we were in last season. Last pre season we could not put out a team. This coming season, we can, even at this early stage.

As for meaningful, it has to be Premiership or even a top European side.

Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 02 May, 2018 17:00

I hope that this is one area where Stirling will put his foot down. Our preparation for several seasons now has been poor, last year just being the worst. We are kept off the ground we pay rent for. We should have three games against the best opposition we can get, at least one at Headingley with an open day type of thing to try to bring in some new interest.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Posted by: opuscoitus (IP Logged)
Date: 02 May, 2018 19:04

Can't help feeling Bath will be one, lots of dealings between the 2 clubs now

Date: 02 May, 2018 19:07

interesting that pre-season friendlies are related to player transfers. I suspect that they are loss-making ventures, and Premiership clubs are not happy to risk losing to a lesser league team, so they sort of work out as "favours".

Date: 02 May, 2018 19:50

Quote:
opuscoitus
Can't help feeling Bath will be one, lots of dealings between the 2 clubs now

Yep I think that's a good shout.

Quick trip out to the hurricanes maybe(Sm100)

Posted by: opuscoitus (IP Logged)
Date: 03 May, 2018 05:10

Maybe a nice trip to France where our scrum half has been,

More likely HMP Cardiff where our prop comes from

Date: 03 May, 2018 07:12

smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
Date: 03 May, 2018 12:12

Isn't Chris Stirling a big buddie of Chris Boyd, the Saints new DOR - so maybe they might be a possibility for pre-season game

Posted by: oopnorth (IP Logged)
Date: 03 May, 2018 18:36

When the new stadium opens, the Barbarians.

Date: 03 May, 2018 20:18

Halifax third extras at some park pitch in the Pennines where it rains a lot.

Only joking.

Date: 23 May, 2018 11:02

Quote:
leemingtyke
DMP would be good, great stadium, close to Leeming(Sm134)

[yorkshirecarnegie.com]

This excellent news is tempered by the fact that I'll be in Dorset that week!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net