RFU Back to rugby survey AKA...
Posted by: WPL (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 11:12

....could we tempt you back to Twickenham (an arbitrary nod to non-England but only to add weight to opening up England games)

Link

My personal thoughts are even thinking about England games in the autumn are at best massively optimistic. Would I go??? As it stands at the moment not a chance - lets say even if they did 25% capacity, trying to get there on trains etc is not worth the risk.

Unfortunately as with football sport seems to putting money ahead of anything

Re: RFU Back to rugby survey AKA...
Posted by: Rawdon ranter (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 13:10

ignorant compiler of survey. No mention or suggestion that the answers could be useful when:

There was no mention of spectators watching live Rugby from the touchline.
Did not split TV viewers as free to air or Pay to view on Sky, BT etc.

Date: 14 May, 2020 14:04

I think with your 1st point RR is that it comes across as they aren't concerned about the grassroots - the only touchline they are interested in is at Twickenham.

Free to air, that would be down to the highest bidder - I suspect it's all tied in with Sky's contract anyway for the autumn international

Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 14:08

Completed the survey.

I decided a while ago (pre COVID) that I wasn't going to go to go Twickenham any more or buy any England Rugby merch because, although I love the sport of Rugby Union and the England team, I despise the elitist image that surrounds it at the highest level, an image personified and perpetuated by the actions of the RFU imho. It's not like that in other countries.

The ticket prices they charge are inexcusably high excluding many who work their @#$%& off to support and enable the game at grass roots level whilst at the same time they have the brass neck to cut funding to Championship clubs and below. I'd rather my money went to the club's that the Twickenham elite systematically neglect.

Rugby Union, inherently, is a game for all and that's how it should be governed. The RFU along with those Range Rover driving, Labrador owning, champagne quaffing, Harrods wicker picnic basket devouring @#$%& that turn up in the Twickenham car park on match days are the polar opposite of that and, as a working class lad, that doesn't sit well with me. At all.

Happy to confine my England watching to the telly.

(No offence intended to any Landrover/Labrador owners!)

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:28

Good rant, Leeming.

Date: 14 May, 2020 20:37

Thank you Almo.

Twenty free Leemingtyke points to anyone who can guess the swear words!

Posted by: Bobba (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 21:39

As both swear words are identical, I suspect that they refer to a part of the anatomy usually used to sit on?(Sm49)

Date: 14 May, 2020 21:54

50% right Bobba, the first one rhymes with farce - 10 LT points.

Date: 15 May, 2020 10:45

I agree with you Leeming - though slightly hypocritically I will go to watch England, for the day out as much as anything.

I think there are different levels attendees though. I think for the 6 nations then you have the top end Range Rovers, people who attend because its fashionable to be seen there. I will exclude Italy from this.

Then you have the autumn internationals, again the prestige ones against tier 1 is maybe middle of the road range rovers, but then you get the entry level model and other brands that go to the developing nation game. I quite enjoy these games as a) the tickets are more reasonably priced and b) you get more actual rugby fans there

Finally you have the premiership final - non range rovers - a fantastic day out and one I can recommend (albeit not technically an RFU game), rugby fans wearing their own shirts (I've worn ours and it's been a good conversation starter).

That said my day out normally starts near Kings Cross for Breakfast, into Twickenham town centre, to the game, I do hang around a bit afterwards as they have some great music on then into Richmond for some food.

Posted by: opuscoitus (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 12:46

Last year for my 50th got a Rugby fest, Euro finals in Newcastle, Prem FInal and Eng v Baa Baas over a weekend at Twickenham and managed 2 6 nations games at HQ Italy and the Draw v Scotland,

All cracking events but Newcastle had the edge followed by the Prem Final weekend .......reason.............cost

Sadly Covid has put paid to the prem final etc this year at least in June when it should have been but we had tickets again for 3 of us and booking early enough we had decent seats for the final a hotel 2 night stay in Hounslow (nice crawl to HQ) and Barbarians game on the Sunday all in £250,

The Euro Finals in Newcastle were cracking games belting venue terrific hosts cost nothing in comparison of the England tickets cheaper with hotel for 2 nights and the games than it was for one game at HQ

This year YC did their usual ballot for tickets and was offered 2 £100 each!!!!
Politely declined and happy for a weekend beer and rugby fest once a year,

Sadly England games are corporate events and no more, Kids scrambling for Autographs after the game players being sheparded first by the media bods to the 02 tent for photo ops for the ones who pay for it,

After the England Scotland game last year the ladies played their game, yes HQ had half emptied and they moved people around to make it look full but during the game menís team heads down walking round pitch in suits not even acknowledging kids stood in pouring rain as they were told ďthey have to meet sponsors firstĒ they trudged back half hour later and if Billy Vinapola hadnít broken ranks to have some photos taken quickly followed by rest much to annoyance of the girl with the clipboard charged with moving them around then the kids would have waited in the rain for nothing,

The women however desperate to grow the game jumped into crowd selfies autographs kit all given to those who waited,

This year got tickets from a friend to Murrayfield v England, different atmosphere altogether really enjoyed Edinburgh and we will go every 2 years for a six nation fix but canít see me hitting corporate Twickenham again for a very long time

Date: 15 May, 2020 23:44

Great posts WPL & Opus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net