French Connection
Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2020 20:26

Many of you guys must know of my French Connection, although, unlike the film of the same name, I do not run a heroin supply chain. Honest. Similarly I do not run a fashion chain.

But there is something in French rugby that we don't have here. They have two divisions with promotion/relegation that is meaningful, unlike the unhealthy Premiership/Championship relationship we have here. They also have a policy of supporting clubs in the north of France in order to try and get a more equal geographical distribution of clubs.

It is not all roses though, they have their problems, but the main point is:

French Rugby clubs represent their community. Without the distraction of football (certainly in many areas of the south of France) the local community will build a stadium, then let a local rugby team play in it for free or next-to-free rent.

Here is an insight: [www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: French Connection
Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2020 20:50

Small towns and even some large villages will have a decent sports ground funded by the municipality. I don't know whether it's down to the local maires wanting to keep up with (or better) the Martins or a more collective approach to doing things.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Posted by: WPL (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2020 09:45

I think itís fairly typical of the way a lot of the continent seems to supply sports facilities - where ever you go there is always decent municipal sports grounds that seem to be pretty high standard - here your lucky if a tennis court has a net (even more so if itís complete).

Posted by: Bobba (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 14:27

The trouble with municipal grounds is that they are never yours. A bit like Headingley and us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net