Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Congratulations.......
Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2020 21:19

.....to Leeds United in gaining promotion to the football Premier League after 16 years of hurt.

On a personal level, I hated the Dirty Leeds team of Don Revie, squandering all that talent, but have to say now that the team has done its punishment and I really look forward to seeing Leeds United prosper and move forward and upwards in the top tier of the round ball game.
smiling smiley

Re: OT Congratulations.......
Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2020 08:44

Great news for their supporters, undoubtedly. Not sure that West Yorkshire Police will be dancing a jig though.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2020 18:29

My congratulations now extend to LUFC Championship Champions! Without kicking a ball as Brentford lost to bottom of the table Stoke earlier today.
After all the near-misses, bottling it in the play-offs etc, Leeds deserves a bit of luck. Is it by coincidence that they prevailed without spectators, or did the lifting of the weight of expectation that the fanatical support brings enable them to keep their cool?

Posted by: Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2020 19:33

The spectators did their best to make their presence felt last night and this afternoon. Last night we had plenty of traffic passing to and from the ground with horns blaring and noisy stragglers making their way home at 11.30pm. Today I was returning home mid afternoon, my usual route taking me past Elland Road, only to be caught up in traffic jams and witnessing a phenomenal crowd with some Covidiots huddled together on the Billy Bremner Statue plinth singing to the watching crowd. Plenty of kids of all ages in attendance in a crowd being "marshalled" by a strong police presence.

Posted by: Bobba (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2020 10:23

What are you on about Almost? "Dirty Leeds" is propagated by those who continuously repeat it. Leeds were no more "dirty" than Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd or any other first division site of that time.

And then "squandering all that talent". I seem to recall that the Home Nations were more than adequately supplied by players from Leeds United and, Leeds Uniteds record under Don Revie speaks for itself. So come on, less of the mud slinging, it sticks you know!

As for the current Leeds United, As a lapsed, for many a year season ticket holder, I am delighted that Leeds United are back in the Premiership. I am particularly pleased that they have achieved this without the help of West Brom and Brentford dropping points. Another win at Elland Road on Wednesday would be the icing on the cake.

Good luck to Leeds United next season and beyond!

Marching on together!

Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2020 12:52

Well the fans have hardly covered themselves in glory - no respect whatsoever for distancing rules, police injured, property damaged near Elland Road and a level of rubbish in Millennium Square this morning which even Glastonbury would struggle to match.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Posted by: Billy ba (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2020 19:00

This site is becoming very depressing.Even good news becomes bad news.

Posted by: Tower (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 11:34

Quote:
Albert Fishwick
Well the fans have hardly covered themselves in glory - no respect whatsoever for distancing rules, police injured, property damaged near Elland Road and a level of rubbish in Millennium Square this morning which even Glastonbury would struggle to match.

I agree just look at the mess this is not a small minority it is the majority. I am fed up having to fund any crowd that feels it is their right to protest, celebrate what ever is in their air head. But not one of them has any idea of responsibility. Fine Leeds football club or better still handicap the club by deducting points from them that will throw a jug of cold reality on these so called fans. We should not have to pay for this. Leeds football club should also pay for those officers that have been attacked. Enough is enough.

Date: 21 July, 2020 12:46

Well said Bobba. A positive note in the Victor Meldrew column.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 13:59

Quote:
Bobba
What are you on about Almost? "Dirty Leeds" is propagated by those who continuously repeat it. Leeds were no more "dirty" than Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd or any other first division site of that time.....

Haha brilliant! (It was a joke wasn't it?)

Date: 21 July, 2020 15:48

Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Bobba
What are you on about Almost? "Dirty Leeds" is propagated by those who continuously repeat it. Leeds were no more "dirty" than Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd or any other first division site of that time.....

Haha brilliant! (It was a joke wasn't it?)

You only have to talk to other football fans that are a bit long in the tooth and Leeds was known as a very dirty club.

Date: 22 July, 2020 15:24

Tower, of course other supporters will say that. Yes, Leeds United played hard and in that respect were no different from other Clubs of the era. And they were different times of course. The balls was a different proposition to todays lightweight ball. A ball was more akin to a medicine ball when wet. Todays slippers that players wear bear no resemblance to the heavy, almost hob nailed, boots of old. And then there is the pitch, in winter you would be lucky if a blade of grass could be found, unlike todays green carpets that players enjoy. And if anyone had the temerity to water the pitch, the result would be mud at best or a quagmire at worst. Letting the ball glide on a wet surface was not possible. A gentle pass, would travel a foot or two before getting bogged down, Different times. They still hold many fond memories!

Date: 22 July, 2020 17:41

Yes, very different times, but out of all the clubs it was always Leeds that had that very bad name.
I can still remember the chants about Norman Hunter bites your legs, etc. there was an awful lot of them. Leeds did live up to that image.

The problem was, it did reflect on the fans and they were always 'hard' and up for a fight.

But let us move on as that was in the past and I just hope that the fans have moved on but that said it does not bode well after all that business last week with the injured police.

Additionally, just look at how they left the city centre Bobba even you cannot condone that.

They were an utter disgrace.

Posted by: Camquin (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2020 20:38

I hope you are not besmirching wor Jackie.

Date: 22 July, 2020 22:51

Quote:
Camquin

A real quote from Jackie Charlton the man himself.

I cannot really play football but I sure as can stop others.

He also said I cannot play but our kid can.

Still after 1966 we would forgive him anything.

Posted by: Wildwillie (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 07:25

What happened in 1966?

(Sm134)

Posted by: oopnorth (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 13:29

I donít recall Tommy Smith, Ron Harris or Nobby Styles to name but three worrying about playing Leeds.

Promotion to the top Division and finding success was great for the City in the 60s and I hope this happens again.

Date: 23 July, 2020 16:45

Quote:
oopnorth
I donít recall Tommy Smith, Ron Harris or Nobby Styles to name but three worrying about playing Leeds.
Promotion to the top Division and finding success was great for the City in the 60s and I hope this happens again.

Pedantic naming a few players why is every one so afraid of the truth. It happened and Leeds had a very bad name but it is over. This only became an issue when people decided to air brush history.

The real thing now is whether or not the fans start to behave and NOT like the violent scenes we saw last week. This is dragging the Leeds name through the mud and none of us want that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 16:47 by Tower.

Date: 23 July, 2020 19:34

You started it

Date: 23 July, 2020 20:33

Quote:
Tower
Quote:
Camquin

A real quote from Jackie Charlton the man himself.

I cannot really play football but I sure as can stop others.

He also said I cannot play but our kid can.

Still after 1966 we would forgive him anything.

Quite right. A striker and a defender have different skill sets as did Bobbie and Jackie. That said, 93 goals for Leeds in 773 appearances is not too shabby for a No 5.

From your rhetoric Tower I take it you're not a Leeds fan?

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net