Headingley FC - Yorkshire's Forgotten Club
Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2020 15:24

Something Leeds rugby related to read while the club itself remains missing.

An interesting 3-part peice on Headingley FC gleaned from the memories of Sir Ian and Peter Winterbottom.

Part 1-[lastwordonrugby.com]

Part 2 -[lastwordonrugby.com]

Part 3 - [lastwordonrugby.com]

Re: Headingley FC - Yorkshire's Forgotten Club
Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2020 17:23

Thanks for that, Leeming, very interesting.

Posted by: headingleytyke2 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2020 11:12

It was a great club very friendly and had 8 good years there in the 70's

Posted by: Billy ba (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2020 17:39

Does anyone remember the Headingley floodlight competition. Held on freezing cold Tuesday nights

Date: 22 August, 2020 18:24

2nd team competition for local teams?

Posted by: Billy ba (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2020 18:27

Remember playing against Headingley '2nd' team that included 11 County players and Sir Ian. Think it was his 1st game back after Lions tour.

Date: 23 August, 2020 19:38

I remember when clubs did the easter tour. Gloucester were the visitors. Needed a few replacements. I got called on. Glad I never got on the pitch. I was 3rd team captain but not up to that standard

Posted by: Wildwillie (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2020 09:20

One of my favourite memories of Headingley was turning out for Rounghegians Vths at Kirkstall when the Headingley 1st team were at home to London Welsh. We coincidentally played in the same colours as LW. As we sauntered out onto the 1st team pitch (ours was beyond it where Morrisons is now) the crowd politely applauded thinking we were the Exiles 1st team. My did we chuckle as the massive Welsh pack sprinted out onto the pitch as we shuffled out of their way. (Sm134)

Posted by: oopnorth (IP Logged)
Date: 01 September, 2020 09:12

Member at 14yrs, played for schoolboys/colts at 17/18 and then work and life moved me away from Kirkstall. Great time to play and watch rugby. Never be forgotten by us who were lucky enough to experience it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net