Rugby versus Soccer
Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2020 18:29

For very understandable reasons, rugby is lagging behind the round ball game in terms of progress towards normality (or to the new "normal").
I have no criticism of the authorities on this, it is just a result of the increased intimate contact that is part of our favourite game: in fact I commend how they are using the opportunity to improve the game with the re-interpretation of the breakdown rules.

However......youngsters are pretty impatient creatures and I wonder if they are tempted to sign-up for soccer clubs as grass-roots rugby is still on hold? It would be terrible if we lost a mini-generation of future stars due to this.

Anyone any experience of this? Or are my fears misplaced?

Re: Rugby versus Soccer
Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2020 22:53

My Son played age grade rugby for 8 years and I helped out with the coaching for 3 of them. I, on the other hand, played football from primary school until I was 35.

In my experience there is very little crossover. In all the teams I played for I can only think of one lad who also played Rugby. And the boys I helped coach, as far as I know, none of them also played football.

Rugby at grassroots level, as long as you're at a good club, is a bit of a different dynamic to grassroots football imho. The lads who play rugby create a stronger bond as a team, more of a sense of togetherness; and they love it - thrive on it, and it carries on outside of Rugby. With football it's there but it's different, more fickle I suppose and centred around matchday.

It takes a long time to learn to play the game of Rugby and the lads (and girls) who play it, love it. I think they'll wait.

Re: Rugby versus Soccer
Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2020 21:13

Great to read that Leeming.
When my kids played football there was an interchange with RL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net