Announcement on Radio Leeds this morning
Posted by: WPL* (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 07:47

It was very late notice, but there was an interview with Albert Da Costa, the new Leeds Tykes chairman on Radio Leeds this morning at 720am

In summary the key points were (my interpretation)
- Phil Davies is back as Director of Rugby / Managing Director role
- he’s been the catalyst for a lot of the changes including name change, going back to community roots, links with unis
- we are hoping to provide a player pathway for the uni players and talented local players
- a lot of realism about being a PT level 3 team
- whilst not mentioned on the interview the twitter feed for West Yorkshire sport said we are moving to west park
- lesser links with the Rhinos but there is still a link there

Hopefully more comms will come out through the day/rest of the week

Re: Announcement on Radio Leeds this morning
Posted by: Bobba (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 07:59

At last, some news! Glad that the Club still exists in some form. Pleased that, once again, we are Leeds Tykes. In a way pleased that our "home" will be West Park and a bid disappointment that there is still a connection to PC and the Rhinos. Still we can't have everything! It's a start, so feeling a little bit more positive.(Sm129)

Posted by: Billy ba (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 11:05

Alastair da Costa ?

Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 12:51

It would certainly explain why Mike Bidgood is back on the scene. Presumably, everyone has satisfied themselves that this doesn't affect the CASC restrictions. All we need now is to know when the season will start and then whether we have any players.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 15:42

West Park have tweeted that the groundshare agreement is still being worked on before anything can be confirmed:

"We are working through the groundshare contract with @carnegierugby at the moment. When this is finalised, the move to The Sycamores of West Park Leeds can be confirmed."

Posted by: leeds exile (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 15:44

[www.bbc.co.uk]

BBC now running the story

Posted by: Grybz (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 21:27

I suppose it does show there is some life left and it shows there are some plans for the future.

Just read the article on the BBC webshite, I know there were a lot of people who were pleased to see the return of PD but I had no idea that he had attracted “great pleasures from around the country”. That’s obviously where we are going wrong, no one has realised it’s players we need!!!

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 21:30

Great news - we still exist!

I thought that Otley were moving to West Park? Surely too crowded for three teams there?

Posted by: daveyjp (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 22:29

Not sure where the Otley story is from considering Old Grovians are using Otley's ground next season (whenever that starts, certainly not before November according to today's latest).

Posted by: Feeding (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 08:53

Supposedly,this is Otleys last season at Cross Green and as there is no sight of their new ground they were/are looking for a new temporary ground and had decided on West Park over Ilkley. Grovians are moving in with Otley and hope to follow them,where ever they go.

So in theory and now perhaps subject to further negotiation,West Park,in season 21/22 will be used by Leeds,Otley,Grovians and West Park. Maybe,as West Park are now down to Yorks 3,they will use one of the side pitches ! Only teasing. Maybe Otley and Grovians will need to rethink their plans?

Date: 03 September, 2020 11:07

Who ever dreamt up Otley's new stadium plans has a lot to answer for. I thought those at Headingley were often delusional but Otley take the biscuit.

Posted by: Feeding (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 15:58

Quote:
leeds exile
Who ever dreamt up Otley's new stadium plans has a lot to answer for. I thought those at Headingley were often delusional but Otley take the biscuit.

This may amuse you then.

When the original announcement was made around the beginning of this year,McCarthy and Stone proposed 170 units at Cross Green. I can only assume that initial financial projections were based on this figure.

After the first round of serious negotiations with Leeds Planners in springtime, M&S were hopeful of securing 86 unis on site.(According to the Otley RUFC site) The latest position according to M&S is that they propose 38 1 bed and 19 2 bed (57) units. Still I believe subject to detailed Planning Consent.

At the same time there is little sign of the new by pass.

You do the maths.

Date: 03 September, 2020 18:51

I am not trying to gloat about Otley's situation. I am genuinely sad that by becoming preoccupied with what I consider a ludicrous proposition they have neglected the playing side and fallen outside the National League structure. I have enjoyed many afternoons at Cross Green and found it a welcoming environment.

Posted by: Bobba (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2020 13:27

I recently spoke to the Bradford City groundman and understand that Old Grovians will be playing at Cross Green this coming season with perhaps a couple of games in Apperley Bridge when Home game dates clash with those of Otley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net