Current Page: 1 of 2
Taufua arriving...
Posted by: GreenandGold22 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2019 21:13

I've just read in a mercury article that Taufua is coming over after the completion of the Mitre Cup in NZ. Not sure of the ko format of that comp but it looks like he misses the start of the Prem to me? Even if they dont qualify he'd be arriving the week the season starts

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

Re: Taufua arriving...
Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2019 21:39

They talked about this on RL last night.
Sounded as if it could be as late as mid Nov depending on how well they do in the cup.

(Happy to be put right by IanC if I didn't remember that correctly)

Posted by: KevinR (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2019 22:14

The final - which the Makos might well reach - is on 26th October.

Posted by: IanC (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2019 07:07

Yep, that's how I understand it. I'd love to be wrong.
Not great, really.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2019 08:37

Surprised we haven't done a Fitzgerald style transfer fee to get him released early to be honest, unless they are really asking for an unreasonable amount.

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2019 09:32

I assumed this would be the case when he signed for us? Seems like a bit of a non-story.

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2019 10:12

Fortunately the League doesn't start until the 19th October so he isn't going to miss many matches.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2019 10:41

Except that he might not join us until the start of November and will need to integrate before playing.
It might even be December before he plays for the 1st team, worst case scenario.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2019 11:04

I believe Taufua also wants to stay in the reckoning for the RWC.
As a possible injury call up.

that was kind of what he was saying in the NZ press at the time of signing.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 13:04

Won't be the first (or probably the last) guy to arrive after they've been knocked out of the Mitre Cup. IIRC, BOC and Scotty Hamilton were in the same position?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Date: 18 August, 2019 11:36

Judging by the way the Makos beat Canterbury this weekend - JT playing extremely well at 8 - they have to be strong contenders to win the trophy.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2019 12:10

Quote:
Yorkie
Won't be the first (or probably the last) guy to arrive after they've been knocked out of the Mitre Cup. IIRC, BOC and Scotty Hamilton were in the same position?

O'Connor was, I think Hamilton was signed late, at the same time as Newby. So came straight away, which was after the ITM (at the time) was finished.

Fitzgerald was bought out of his contract a bit early to come here, Mulipola had a contract to go back after his trial but it was bought out too.

Definitely won't be the last, unless the CVC money tap gets seriously turned on and we're rolling in money!!

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 18:02

Not arriving until after the Mitre 10 isn't ideal but with such long seasons and the muddled international calendar it is near impossible to make ideal signings with top class players. If Taufua were an All Black already he'd be at the RWC, as he's narrowly missed out he's in the Mitre 10.

Even if he isn't selected for the ABs as injury cover (why he's playing the Mitre 10 I believe?) then I can see him being capped by Samoa down the line. Players of his talent naturally want to experience international rugby.

I think he's a signing worth that risk though. Lavanini, Taufua and Liebenberg are top class additions in the main area where Tigers were so poor last season.

Date: 01 September, 2019 07:48

Another win for Tasman this morning - they are now cast-iron favourites for the title and it's unlikely we'll see JT until after the final. The good news is the omission of Liam Squire from the AB squad, however. Tasman are rotating him and JT to keep them fresh, with our man coming on in the 46th minute today. He's getting half a game a week instead of being flogged.

Posted by: tigersimon (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2019 16:11

Tasman beat North Harbour 21-17 yesterday with Taufua playing No 8.

Date: 16 September, 2019 21:44

Yes, Simon. JT was MotM and was instrumental in dragging a badly beaten pack to a last gasp victory. He had to cope with a retreating scrum for all but the last 5 minutes and made some typically bullocking runs. But for a slight knock on, he would also have scored a try. Can’ t wait to see him at Welford Road - could become a legend with performances like this!

Date: 13 October, 2019 15:10

Tasman won again yesterday but no Taufua in the squad!

Date: 14 October, 2019 07:53

A bt of a puzzle: he was rested last week, but was named in the squad for this weeks's match against Hawkes Bay, only to drop out just before the game. I've searched in vain for the reason. No doubt all will become clear ahead of the semi against Auckland on Saturday (very early UK time!)

Posted by: Dreadnought (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2019 16:01

Sincerely hope he has not sustained a serious injury. We need him to arrive at Tigers asap and fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/10/2019 16:04 by Dreadnought.

Date: 17 October, 2019 19:49

Named on the bench for Saturday’s game against Auckland

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net