Date: 17 January, 2020 10:52

Quote:
tigerburnie
Greed is the word.

I thought it was Grease?

Re: Sarries in serious danger of automatic relegation
Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 11:56

Weel they talk about money greasing the wheels...

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 12:36

It's now reported that they exceeded in three seasons, and two of those were by £1.2 million and £1.3 million most recently !! eye popping smileyeye popping smiley

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: RushdenTiger (KT at work) (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 12:43

I think they should be immediately relegated and then ring fencing (which I suddenly think is a great idea) should be brought in for 20 years.

They can Fez off as far as I'm concerned.

Date: 17 January, 2020 12:48

Quote:
Tiggs
It's now reported that they exceeded in three seasons, and two of those were by £1.2 million and £1.3 million most recently !! eye popping smileyeye popping smiley

So, what 4 extra players on c£300,000?

Date: 17 January, 2020 12:55

That certainly looks like the reality from outside though doesn't it ?
You could argue even more looking at the squad.

Date: 17 January, 2020 13:04

I was being conservative.

So not only have they retained a cadre of 7 world class players (ok 6 and Wigglesworth) but then added ~4 high class players over and above 2 marquee players and the normal £7 million.

You'd struggle to make it up.

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 13:07

If it is correct that Saracens cannot complete their season within the cap, then the PL has to act immediately to suspend the club from the current competition, nullify all the games they have played so far and reduce the league to 11 clubs. It would be grossly unfair on the clubs they have already played to have their results counted, especially if the remaining Saracens fixtures are to be played with a reduced squad.
Having been removed from the Premiership they should forfeit their shares and have to reapply to join a lower division in the national leagues. Relegation should be suspended for this season and the winner of the Championship promoted.
The only alternative is to let Sarries finish the season with their illegal squad and then discount all their results and carry out the expulsion. I'm not sure the other clubs would be very happy with this, for obvious reasons.

Date: 17 January, 2020 13:09

They might well prefer to have the gate money?

Actually I think that's the fairest way forwards.

Date: 17 January, 2020 14:06

Allegedly, at Tuesdays PRL meeting, Sarries were told to open their books for full scrutiny this season, which they have not yet done, and resign their last 3 titles, or accept automatic relegation.
Todays meeting at Sarries will determine the response.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:21

Quote:
Duncan Keene
Agree Stopsy, I feel sorry for their fans.

I feel sorry for their fans who haven't been in denial, who haven't been defending them and who haven't been abusing those who are critical of their club.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:28

Well, I'm not going to cast the first stone as I am in no position to do so. Very happy for you Simon

Posted by: melton tiger (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:18

There is a precedent from football - Glasgow Rangers. Not the same causation - they had major financial irregularities and were legally reconstituted, but they were forced to start again at the fourth tier. If Saracens are relegated a couple of tiers and stripped of PRL shares they would be insolvent. Solvency must be in doubt anyway - what about prize money and gate receipts semi-finals and finals - should all this be repaid and shared amongst other PRL members. European teams may want to have a pop at them legally as well.

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:40

I'm not sure that allowing Sarries to finish the season is the fairest solution - though it is probably the most likely. There are two problems with it: the first is that some top players might negotiate to leave during the season, as Jamie Roberts has just done at Bath. The odd one wouldn't matter, but imagine if there were half a dozen; the teams who lost earlier in the season would be up in arms as their neighbours faced a virtual 2nd team. Secondly how will the Sarries players react knowing that they would be out of a job come May. Their main concerns would be securing next season's contract and not getting injured. Would you put your body on the line knowing that the results didn't matter? Every game would have the makings of a farce.

A rather fanciful solution has occurred. Sarries have to identify the players and their contracts that they have to shed immediately to get within this year's cap. The contracts are taken over by PL and the players offered to the remaining clubs free until June with the lowest clubs having first dibs NFL style. Anyone for Goode?

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 23:50

Quote:
tigerburnie
I suppose with hindsight we shouldn't be surprised by all of this, we have let the money men in and this is just mirroring what goes on in the dirty world of making lucre. Greed is the word.

Well, no, being benevolent does not make everyone corrupt imv...only some people. Those are the ones you want banned from the game. I'd extend it to players and coaches too if you could prove it...

Rugby should review a fair play scheme though whereby defined revenue determines your yearly budget.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 13:00

Quote:
Stopsy
Well, I'm not going to cast the first stone as I am in no position to do so. Very happy for you Simon

The first stone was cast long before either of us became involved!

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 17:23

Have you been on their site lately, some bile coming from of the Sorries "fans", then when others have a go back they lock the threads, turning proper nasty, this is going to spill over if PRL don't get a grip and quickly.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:19

Quote:
John Tee
Rugby should review a fair play scheme though whereby defined revenue determines your yearly budget.

Great idea in theory (and one which I would support) but impossible and unworkable out in the real world.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:20

Very quick to block or ban people for having contrary views and then lock the threads too. so much for the light touch mods.

It isnt anyone else's fault Saracens embarked on this path and pursued it over seasons...it is the saracens Board, club ethos and dare i say it, some players, imv

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 19:39

One of their "fans" was very hostile, never going to away matches and hates every one at other clubs, really? Some of their proper fans must be feeling very lonely right now, not a single clubs fans seem to have single good word for what Wray and his club has done and seemingly is still doing. How can they be allowed to pick a team of players that is £millions over the cap for this weekend? What is the European rugby board doing?

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net