Clancey
Posted by: Jon T (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 17:12

Another disgracefully inept performance at Quins today. When will the Refs be held to account for their inability to apply the rules? Or even just call out the gamesmanship.

Re: Clancey
Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 17:16

Never. They are a law unto themselves.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:20

Refs are a blight upon our sport imvho.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: Johns (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:42

Without referees we have no game.

Wayne Barnes was the gold standard for Rugby the RFU should insist all referees perform to his standard.

Date: 18 January, 2020 20:45

I don't agree.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:48

Wayne Barnes reffed Bedford v Hartpury today, wonder why

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:53

8 or 9 years ago if you'd held up Wayne as the shining beacon of refereeing quality, I'd have laughed at you.

But for about the last 4 or 5 years I'd agree. A prime example of how a referee can improve immensely.
But for what ever reason most don't improve, they at best stay still, or often get worse.

Date: 18 January, 2020 22:02

So that must be down to coaching mustn't it?

Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 23:06

Coaching / ssessment - must be.
Coupled with a willingness to seek to improve and importantly a willingness to recognise / accept that they made errors in the 1st place.
(That of course are traits not aways present in every walk of life, not just to rugby referrees).

Date: 19 January, 2020 00:46

Agreed.

But I don't think referree development is helped by the excruciating servility that the game seems to approach them with - yes of course they must be respected on the field but they should absolutely be exposed to rigorous, public assessment and critique of their performance, and frankly, their integrity. The constant, trite arguments that are made to defend the poverty of their performances - 'there's no game without the referree'; 'they make less misakes than the players' (a lie by the way); 'it's hard - there are so many things to consider' - bullshit - tell that to a brain surgeon or an airline pilot - they are all holding the game back.

Referrees are human - they are as susceptible to failure and to partiality as the rest of us. Stop pretending they aren't and judge them as such.

Develop them and reward them properly - generously even - for excellence but indict and discipine them for failure.

Posted by: Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 11:08

Preach Rich!

Date: 19 January, 2020 11:37

Well it is Sunday...

Posted by: Cu Chulainn (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 16:02

Clancey?

I can assure you when he features in Irish provincial games both teams and their supporters ask, WTF next George? Do you know where you are George? George!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net