One year or two?
Posted by: Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 18:04

I keep reading about a potential situation with a club needing to be under the salary cap for at least 2 seasons before being able to be promoted to the Prem?

If that was the case then unless Saracens can still get under the salary cap for this season then they will have to spend at least 2 seasons in the Championship.

It's a huge issue that needs clarifying and not just for Saracens.

For the Championship clubs. If Saracens can't get promoted next year then they have a golden opportunity to invest in their squads as it would be a year without one of the Premiership 13 and our bigger budgets, parachute payments etc. On the other hand if Saracens can get promoted, then they have a year where they know even more than ever they are very unlikely to overhaul the team previously in the Premiership.

For the Premiership clubs. If Saracens can't get promoted next year, then next year is the biggest relegation fight ever, because the year after the relegated team won't have the usual tour around the Championship and then promotion, they will have to fight head to head with Saracens for promotion, probably lose out and have two years in the Championship.

I suspect that once it dawns on the other Premiership chairman that this rule would most likely mean one of their clubs spending two years in the Championship as well as Saracens then this rule will cease to exist. We shall see, as i say it clearly needs clarifying very soon.

Re: One year or two?
Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 18:16

There's quite a lot of discussion about this on the other boards, Duncan. General view is that if Sarries are under the cap next year the rules will be "tinkered with" and they will be allowed back - if they win, of course. Come on you Pirates!

Posted by: Mrs H (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 18:26

Pardon my ignorance, but how will we know if theyíre under the cap if theyíre not willing to open their books?
Whose word are we to believe?

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 18:43

Quote:
Mrs H
Pardon my ignorance, but how will we know if theyíre under the cap if theyíre not willing to open their books?
Whose word are we to believe?

Exactly, how can they still continue now when we don't know if they are fielding an illegal team or not?

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 20:11

I am assuming they will open their books for this season but it is past seasons that they won't.

However with their record the answer is simple - if they won't open the books assume they are guilty.

Posted by: Willbur (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 20:12

Quote:
SimonG19
However with their record the answer is simple - assume they are guilty.

FTFY (Sm100)

Posted by: tigersince74 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 21:09

The current salary cap regulations say its 2 years. They are reviewed and published each February and for the promoted team the criteria have remained unchanged for over 10 years. I doubt the club chairmen who have driven this relegation would vote to change the rules now.

See liquidation thread for full explanation.

If Saracens finish top 20/21 they will need to be compliant in the successful Championship season and the previous year 19/20 which they failed and elected to be relegated.

Posted by: Mrs H (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 21:38

Quote:
tigersince74
The current salary cap regulations say its 2 years. They are reviewed and published each February and for the promoted team the criteria have remained unchanged for over 10 years. I doubt the club chairmen who have driven this relegation would vote to change the rules now.
See liquidation thread for full explanation.

If Saracens finish top 20/21 they will need to be compliant in the successful Championship season and the previous year 19/20 which they failed and elected to be relegated.

Thanks.
You wonít be cross if I take all that info with the proverbial pinch of salt?
Iím not holding my breath waiting for that to actually happen when the time comes......

Posted by: Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 21:49

Posted this in another thread by accident. This would be BS if its true

RugbyPass understands that there have been talks with Premiership Rugby Limited to allow for a one-season salary cap dispensation, so that current Premiership teams may be able to pick these players up whilst, in theory, Saracens spend just the one season in English rugbyís second tier.

[www.rugbypass.com]

Posted by: tigersince74 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 22:00

No not offended Mrs H. PRL is a Cartel and will do just what it wants but they appear to have upset Lord Dyson (panel Chair re Sarries salary cap findings) with their secrecy obsession. Watch this space more to come.

Date: 20 January, 2020 22:08

While I agree thereís been some other discussion of it, I think all the discussion Iíve seen has been about how it affects Saracens. My point is how it affects the other teams in the Championship and Premiership and how their / our 2020-21 seasons are dramatically different depending on whether Saracens can get promoted or not.

To take ourselves as an example and the debate on the Presumed Borthwick start date. The implications of that being summer or November are different if relegation could see us alongside Saracens in the Championship.

Posted by: renko (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 23:47

Iíve reliably heard that as part of getting Sarries to accept the relegation was that this years overspend will be ignored when it comes to meeting promotion criteria so they will only be down a year assuming they win promotion. I think fans of other clubs both in the championship and the premiership will look upon this very badly but can imagine that for premiership owners the idea of potentially competing with Sarries for promotion out of the championship might be the reason. I canít see the fear is warranted as the club to be promoted season 20/21 (Cornish Pirates?) would surely be the most likely candidate for relegation straight away

Date: 21 January, 2020 07:57

Itís the club getting relegated in 20/21 who would be worried. E.g

19-20 up Newcastle down Saracens
20-21 up Cornish pirates down Leicester
21-22 up Saracens down Pirates

Would mean 2 seasons in Championship for both us and Saracens. Obviously it could be any team not just us.

It would mix things up massively with a guaranteed new (or not been in for a long time, Bedford etc) member of the Prem, so Iím not totally against taking the risk, but I am against portraying it as a punishment for Saracens rather than a risk for all the other clubs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2020 08:47 by Duncan Keene.

Posted by: Elder (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 08:17

in the above scenario donít Sarries come top in 20/21 but deemed not to meet the criteria so no promotion or relegation that season, so Tigers safe for 2 years (yay!) ?

Date: 21 January, 2020 08:48

I must admit i assumed they would keep promotion and relegation even if Saracens couldn't get promoted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net