Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Borthwick - official
Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 13:54

We shold ignore the Saracens relegation and go for every point as though it was us avoiding the drop, if we are successful, then go for every point to get top 6.

When people say we can relax because we're not at risk, it is exactly why I hate the idea of ringfencing.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 14:21

+1(Sm160)

Posted by: Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 14:43

+2

Posted by: penguin (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 15:25

+3

Posted by: Murphyjames (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 16:24

The Peter(G Murphy) Principle:
The Peter principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn promotion to a more senior position which requires different skills. If the promoted person lacks the skills required for their new role, then they will be incompetent at their new level, and so they will not be promoted again. But if they are competent at their new role, then they will be promoted again, and they will continue to be promoted until they eventually reach a level at which they are incompetent. Being incompetent, they do not qualify to be promoted again, and so remain stuck at that final level for the rest of their career (termed "Final Placement" or "Peter's Plateau"). This outcome is inevitable, given enough time and assuming that there are enough positions in the hierarchy to which competent employees may be promoted. The "Peter Principle" is therefore expressed as: "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence." This leads to Peter's Corollary: "In time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties."

I think this would be an interesting theory to relate to the practice adhered to at Tigers, after all, in theory, there is no difference between practice and theory - but in practice there is....

Where does Mr G Murphy sit in all of this?.

Posted by: RushdenTiger (KT at work) (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 16:43

It all sounds very analytical etc. but I have a feeling that your thesis is carp.

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 16:59

Quote:
RushdenTiger (KT at work)
It all sounds very analytical etc. but I have a feeling that your thesis is carp.

By his reckoning, it means Murphy is actually excellent at his job, because he's still being promoted.

Posted by: KevinR (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 17:30

I'm very tired of all the Geordan bashing from a group of 'fans'. I look at various criteria:
Results: not what we'd like yet, but showing improvement.
Team spirit: seems excellent, to judge from player comments and spirit in games under pressure. Young players given opportunities, squad rotated, not so much sign of 'in' players and 'out' players.
Recruitment: mostly excellent cf Taufua, Liebenburg, Lavanini.
Coaching (judged on seeing the team on the pitch): Forwards have improved and we've seen the odd glimpse from the backs, but there's way too much reliance on individual talent rather than team patterns. This is where we need to improve IMO.
Looks to as if GM is ticking the DoR boxes and I'd hope that Borthwick's appointment addresses the coaching weakness.

Date: 21 January, 2020 17:36

+1 to that.

Posted by: (JSF) (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 17:39

+2

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 17:42

Agree Kevin

Date: 21 January, 2020 17:46

+4 Kevin.

Posted by: odd-shaped vagaries (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 17:47

Do plus fours suit Kevin, I wonder?

The referee is the final arbitrary .. dementiaaahll!

Date: 21 January, 2020 19:00

They suit everyone!

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 19:41

The "Peter Principle" is a recognised management fact.

It is essential that someone at the core our our Management team is "Tigercentric". Tigers through and through with a long and successful playing career at the club. That is Geordan. We have now, at long last, supported this Tigerish core with outside proven coaching success with other experiences and ideas to bring to the party. Suspect that Jan McGinity is playing a significant role too now.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: S4llyC (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 19:43

Summed it up Kevin. Nobody would deny that we weíve been in some dark places, and things have been dire. But there are some who refuse to accept that any improvements or progress have been made. And they seem to relish that. Thereís nowt so strange as folk, eh?

Date: 21 January, 2020 19:53

Quote:
Yorkie
The "Peter Principle" is a recognised management fact.
It is essential that someone at the core our our Management team is "Tigercentric". Tigers through and through with a long and successful playing career at the club. That is Geordan. We have now, at long last, supported this Tigerish core with outside proven coaching success with other experiences and ideas to bring to the party. Suspect that Jan McGinity is playing a significant role too now.

I'm not sure 'fact' is the right word but it's certainly an observable phenomenon.

In Geordan's case I'm unclear that it applies. But I wouldn't expect Wils to understand that.

Good post though Yorkie. The balance feels much better now. I wonder how much influence Geordan had? Perhaps less than Pat but more, I imagine, than some will think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2020 19:55 by Rich W.

Posted by: melton tiger (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 20:24

Sorry to pooh pooh - but our pack have only improved from utter shambles to low quality premiership standard, still way off Exeter, the Cheats and Heineken QF standard which was our minimum for most of the last 20 years. Geordan is not up to managing their coaching regime - and shouldnt have been expected to. Itís taken over one and half seasons to get someone with apparent competence contracted and we still donít have a start date. It leaves a bad taste with Cohen giving it the big I am with the announcement - hopefully not too little but too late to the point of negligence...

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 23:13

Quote:
melton tiger
Why is there an advert below the article promoting real midlands rugby for Tigers v FACOV.
Surely real midlands rugby would be Tigers v Coventry or Nottingham.

Now are rid of the cheats we just need to get rid of the Franchise next season.

Looking forward to it.

Posted by: daktari (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 06:52

This article seems to confirm that Steve Borthwick will be with us for Preseason. [www.theguardian.com]

Current Page: 2 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net