Questions for u refs
Posted by: jojo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 14:48

I've been watching Tigers for probably more than 40 years and I sometimes get confused with what was allowed in "my" time and get confused with some things which go on in todays game.

So two questions arose from yesterdays game which puzzled me whether this was correct:
1. If there is a knock on by an attacking player 2 yards short of the line and it goes dead in goal, wouldn't advantage be 22 kick out rather than 5 yard scrum defending side?
2. Line outs where throwing in side have three or more players loitering 3 yards out of the line while the throw in is being taken giving them space to run round the back or into the line. I thought they needed to be in the line. If not free kick to defending side.

Answers please

Re: Questions for u refs
Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 15:38

1) That's always been the law. Advantage doesn't apply in that area. Why? God only knows, and he's not telling.

2) They should stay in line until the ball leaves the hooker's hands, after that they may, to quote the aws directly,
"Leave the lineout so as to be in a position to receive the ball, provided they remain within 10 metres of the mark of touch and they keep moving until the lineout is over"

Posted by: jojo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 16:09

But IMO they were never in the line before they started to move around.

Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 18:10

As i understand ir they should be IN the lineout, or OUT of it (way out - just like the fullback ir FH would be). Not loitering 3 yards away.
But of course refs and linesmen need to use their eyes and enforce it.

Date: 16 February, 2020 18:15

Question 3.

Is it correct that at a ruck, the offside line starts somewhere between 1.5m in front or the rearmost player and the middle of the ruck (which ever is the larger, but chosen randomly) then arcs in an involute spiral forwards from the 1st defender ?

As it seemed to be for most of the rucks defended by Wasps yesterday.

Posted by: (JSF) (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 19:44

smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Johnny O'J (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 21:16

If I can piggy back on this thread, one of my continuing bugbears has been the frequency that players are offside from the kick off - surely one of the easiest to police. I noticed today, watching replays of most of the weekend rugby on BT (no, I don't have a life) that chasing players seemed to be conforming more at the kick off. Has there been an instruction to referees?

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 21:28

Quote:
PrestonTiger
Question 3.
Is it correct that at a ruck, the offside line starts somewhere between 1.5m in front or the rearmost player and the middle of the ruck (which ever is the larger, but chosen randomly) then arcs in an involute spiral forwards from the 1st defender ?

As it seemed to be for most of the rucks defended by Wasps yesterday.

But not of course those defended by Tigers who religously ensured that, as usual, they never transgressed at all, and any penalty given against them for any perceived offence, was entirely due to the biased referee. As happens every single week.

Change the bloody record!!

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 22:45

Quote:
Chris1850

Kettle, the Pot called...

Date: 17 February, 2020 12:30

Quote:
Brownian Motion
Quote:
Chris1850

Kettle, the Pot called...

Ooo a sensitive soul from FaCov.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 12:36

From Sale I think

Date: 17 February, 2020 18:47

Ahh. That'll explain it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net