Date: 18 February, 2020 19:11

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! angry smiley

Re: Sir for Friday evening
Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 19:26

Quote:
tigersimon
Tempest

Well enough about predicting the weather, which ain't that hard for Manc land on the wrong side of the Pennines (Rain, rain and more rain), who's the whistle blower to be?

(Sm14)

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 22:18

Think you may have missed 'random' from the whistle blower's key attributes.

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 23:35

The frequency with which the the offy and unoffy now have threads or posts about the refs 5 days before a game makes me think of a great quote from Jim Telfer at a rugby dinner a few years ago summer. Paraphrasing:

"I'm always amused by the correlation between sides who play rubbish rugby and sides who worry about rubbish reffing. Worry more about the people trying to catch the ball and less about the people noticing you dropped the ball."

I wouldn't argue that reffing standards aren't high enough but having reffed to reasonable standard myself and sat on committees focused on trying to improve standards across the board I would definitely argue the massive increase in complaining about refs has harmed the situation. Our committee identified a simple spiral.

1. Reffing standards at the top mirror standards at grass roots
2. Reffing standards at grass roots are poor due to critical lack of numbers in reffing
3. Due to low numbers young refs are promoted far to quickly out of necessity (arguably desperation) hence not getting experience required in lower leagues
4. Numbers are low due to it being very hard to get younger men/woman and recently retired players interested in reffing
5. Nobody is interested in reffing because refs increasingly get little other than grief for their efforts

There has been a noticeable increase in back chat and 'playing the ref' by pros on the pitch. That is nothing however compared to the increase in grief refs get from fans. I've observed that at all levels as well. From parents of young children on a Sunday morning to ex-professionals in the stands at internationals.

Date: 19 February, 2020 04:04

Well the ref can soon sort out players' back chat. March the play back 10 metres!

Date: 19 February, 2020 04:05

Make refereeing rugby games a well paid full time job and folk will become more interested imvho.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net