Current Page: 1 of 3
Do we want refunds for unplayed matches in 2019/20 season
Posted by: jojo (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 23:01

We have had 6 of 11 home games this season and IMHO I do not believe another match will be played in the next 12 weeks which will bring us to the middle of June.
Will Tigers play another home game this season before they need to start training for season 20/21.

What are the plans of our club regarding their season ticket fans who have already paid for those matches and probably bought tickets for the Castre match,

What should we do about money being taken already for next years season ticket.

The club needs to start a dialogue with their fans but will they. I have never seen any concern from our CEO regarding the rank and file fans so I suppose we will have to continue in the dark.

Re: Do we want refunds for unplayed matches in 2019/20 season
Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 23:19

Pro rugby's finances are so fragile that the Jeff clubs are reportedly asking players to take wage cuts in order to stay affloat.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I understand what you're saying and the club should open a dialogue with fans but few in the Premiership will be in a position to start handing out refunds. I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs struggle to recover from this. Many business will have disappeared once the dust has settled.

Posted by: IanC (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 06:47

The key point is dialogue.
I'm not sure it's just a few clubs who will struggle to recover - anyone without a sugar daddy who offers refunds will be in trouble, but if you fail to communicate there will undoubtedly be resentment in at least some quarters.
In terms of voluntary pay cuts we have some pretty well paid 'staff' who aren't players. In these times surely fairness needs to be demonstrated?

Posted by: Barney_Gumble (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 07:45

The matches have currently been postponed, not cancelled.

Additionally, whichever club starts a discussion with their fans 1st will set a precedent for the other Prem (and Champ) clubs.

I have no doubt that PRL/RFU are trying to get a position on this collectively which seeks to appropriately recompense the fans, yet retain the clubs as viable entities going forward.

Ultimately, we're all going to lose if clubs go to the wall, and while we're owed money by the club, it's money we can afford (else why would we have spent it on something as 'frivolous' as Tigers in the 1st instance).

I don't have the answer, and there will be unhappy people coming out of this....but IMO it's vital we adopt a collective mindset and seek to ensure that Rugby Clubs at all levels continue to provide their members with the competition required, the facilities required, and the sense of membership and belonging from each of the clubs (big and small) to which we belong.

Posted by: RushdenTiger (KT at work) (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 07:48

I suspect that if we want Tigers to survive we're going to have to accept we ain't getting this money back anytime soon.

Dialogue and communication with your 'customers' is indeed a pressing need and the starting point (and anyone in business or has a modicum of common sense should know this).

They should be looking at innovative ideas to lessen the pain.

Perhaps for those season ticket holders that have lost out we could get heavily discounted beer, shirts, free programmes, Knock-out phases European matches to be included in next years season ticket etc.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 07:58

The club will be issuing updates on a daily basis,, but have to wait for all clubs to agree on the big actions. More most everyone refunds are the least of their worries. I expect discounts and offers in the future are the most likely options.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: KevinR (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 08:17

Look at it another way: we paid the money anyway, we're not seeing any rugby, but we're no worse off. We're supporters, members if you like, and we all have a part to play in helping our club to survive. I'm more concerned that the club is standing by our players and staff to be honest. Who knows, it might even persuade Johnny May that it's worth staying if he's treated better than his friends elsewhere?

Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 08:46

I'm assuming there won't be any refunds. For some clubs that could push them over the edge (dont knoe re tigers specifically). I'm not expecting or asking.
I mainly agree that we spent it because we could afford it. The only point is for some they could afford it at the time they paid it... they may not be able to afford it NOW (if they work in hospitality, airlines, music etc).

What I would want to see 'in return' is the staff thst are at the 'bottom end' of the club being guaranteed pay and not being made redundant etc. A player on 500k can probably tolerate and survive on 250k for a while, a whole lot easier than a cleaner or ticket office staff if they were made redunant.

Posted by: GT1 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 08:58

Some good points there and to add my thoughts - if my 20 a mth helps keep the club a float I am more than happy to continue paying it whether we see any rugby or not this season!!
They have looked after us(with no increase again) this season so it's a small price to pay to keep all the staff paid at WR & Oval Park!!
The club do need to keep in touch though & as suggested maybe a camera or 2 on the new hotel/car park developments would help get our WR fix!!

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 09:19

Refunds would stress cash flow severely.

Its more likely we will have asked to pay for next season early in my opinion.

The club needs to see what the government end up offering, the momentum is growing behind them covering payrolls, or reversing national insurance, either of which would be a massive boost for a company like a sports club with lots of high earning people paying employers NIC.

Posted by: Fat Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 09:30

I don't really want to comment specifically on Tigers as I'm not a season ticket holder myself. However, with the events I've had cancelled all have so far offered a refund, but some have asked if those that can afford it let them keep the money paid. So far the only ones that have asked are those that would be in trouble if they did have to pay everyone back, and to be honest I've been happy to lose the money to keep organisations I like/support going. The ones that generate massive profits and can afford the hit, have all offered a refund/ticket to later event by default and have not asked to just keep the money. Without exception, all have been pretty good about communicating and either refunding where they can or asking nicely not to if it's going to cause them trouble.

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 09:32

That is the whole point, clubs going to the wall. I paid my money in food faith, I see it as a, 'you win some and you lose some' situation. In any case, as things stand I would have missed the Bath game anyway as I have some workers coming round to the house on that day. Certainly, as IanC has put it so eloquently on other posts, a bit of communication from the club wouldn't go amiss

Posted by: penguin (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 10:19

For me, I would have been at the games anyway and thus my monthly season ticket direct debit is in my personal finances covered. The club comes first if it helps keep the staff going fine with me.

Posted by: ChrisC (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 11:02

Quote:
Captain Darling
In terms of voluntary pay cuts we have some pretty well paid 'staff' who aren't players. In these times surely fairness needs to be demonstrated?

This for me at least is key.

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 11:33

Penguin, +1

Posted by: arh53 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 11:39

To be honest this is the least of my worries right now. I can afford to lose the season ticket money if it helps keep the club afloat. But I am trying, not very successfully at the moment, to get a much larger amount of money back from cancelled flights I was due to take with my family over Easter - I can't afford to subsidise the airlines as well as Tigers.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 11:57

Agree with the general direction of this thread - I've paid for my ST - I'd rather the club stayed solvent than thought about refunds. It would be nice if there was a subsequent demonstration of appreciation but that's hardly the point.

I look at our club and I think we're much more vulnerable than any of Sale, Bath, Ex, Sarries and Bris where owners money appears virtually inexhaustible. Our owners, though wealthy, haven't invested that way - and probably can't. We're much more dependent on our own income sources than those other clubs. I imagine that Saints and Glaws, among others are equally vulnerable.

Posted by: L.F (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 11:59

FAQs: Advice for Tigers supporters

Q: Will I be refunded for tickets purchased to fixtures that have been postponed?
A: No. These fixtures have been postponed not cancelled and all purchased tickets will be honoured on rescheduled dates.

Q: As a season ticket holder, will I get a refund for postponed fixtures?
A: No. These fixtures have been postponed not cancelled and all season tickets will be honoured on rescheduled dates for Gallagher Premiership fixtures.

Not very helpful when in reality they will end up being cancelled.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 12:05

At present they aren't cancelled though. Once they are - if they are - cancelled then different advice will be issued.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 12:46

I suggest discretion, if you can afford it, leave the money with the club, Mrs S is still paying her gym membership as it will go bust if everyone cancels but we are very fortunate. Others have lost their income so the refund would be welcome.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net