Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Simon Cohen gone...
Posted by: penguin (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 19:05

Having. CEO with experience in a form of Elite sport makes sense and is normal as they understand and have connections in the relevant areas of the business? You are unlikely to find the CEO of a top sports organisation coming from a fast food giant? Yes coming from within is normal and correct with the correct pathway and succession but we are failing?? And the current management are part of the problem they need a shake up not a friendly face.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 19:48

I'm not saying it isn't normal.

Although
"You are unlikely to find the CEO of a top sports organisation coming from a fast food giant?"
A few premier league clubs have CEO's who came from
Video Games
Mobile Phone companies
to name a couple.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 20:13

Quote:
Ayerzawannabe

2. Pinchen has been COO of the club for 6 year now basically the same time as Cohen was under DC.
So I fail to get the "At least".

Thought she was promoted to COO from Commercial Director less than a year ago?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: jojo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 23:05

What people tend to forget is that at the time when we were waiting for Mauger our coaching team was down to the bare bones. Cockers was coaching forwards and backs with little help. We the fans were calling for additional coaching resources to be put in place to help Cockers, it never came and I put the blame firmly at Cohens door for that and IMO that was the point at which we started going downhill.
I can't forgive Cohen for that and then when Mauger did arrive no one appeared to know who was actually in charge of running the team. As CEO Cohen was in charge of the coaching set up and he should have spelled out the roles of the two, which we never saw any evidence of.

Of course that is in my opinion and how I remember things.

Date: 17 May, 2020 07:20

With so many people at the club involved in, and having major influence over, the circumstances you describe, I just can't see how you can lay 100% of the blame for that particular circus at SC's door? But if that is how you see it then fair enough.

A similar coaching set up worked previously with Cockers and MOC so maybe Mauger himself contributed to the problems?

Posted by: johnthegrif (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 11:53

I think a lot of posters on this message board must have a background in local government or the civil service as for any perceived problem they seem to suggest another tier of management. Tigers as a business in my opinion has to look for savings as we escape the current situation.
I don't know why Simon has gone but with the various levels of management under him is it necessary to replace him with another person, particularly when there is the level of big business experience on our largely new Board of Directors available for decision making. We need someone competent to oversee day to day affairs and in her 17 year rapid rise Andrea has shown that she is at least that, personally I believe she is much more and will be able to take on most of Simon's duties whilst delegating some of her current responsibilities to existing personnel.

Date: 17 May, 2020 12:00

Good points John. Indeed, the only remaining Executive Director apart from her has long and vast International business experience.

Is this concept of the BoD having input into the big and important business decisions at Tigers a new or normal one?

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 12:38

Quote:
johnthegrif
I think a lot of posters on this message board must have a background in local government or the civil service as for any perceived problem they seem to suggest another tier of management. Tigers as a business in my opinion has to look for savings as we escape the current situation.
I don't know why Simon has gone but with the various levels of management under him is it necessary to replace him with another person, particularly when there is the level of big business experience on our largely new Board of Directors available for decision making. We need someone competent to oversee day to day affairs and in her 17 year rapid rise Andrea has shown that she is at least that, personally I believe she is much more and will be able to take on most of Simon's duties whilst delegating some of her current responsibilities to existing personnel.

There speaks someone who has never worked in the civil service. I no no-one who has who believes in adding tiers of management. Most of us are constantly arguing for less.

Posted by: penguin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 13:09

Yorkie totally agree

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 14:19

Quote:
Rich W
Quote:
johnthegrif

There speaks someone who has never worked in the civil service. I no no-one who has who believes in adding tiers of management. Most of us are constantly arguing for less.

As someone who worked briefly in local government I totally agree.

Of course I wasn't "working" in one of the many tiers of management.

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 15:03

Quote:
Rich W

This. Plus of course, some areas are better than others, especially at a local level. Essex are straightforward to deal with; Norfolk, less so. Cambridgeshire are a ball-ache.

Posted by: odd-shaped vagaries (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 21:01

As a former civil servant I agree wholeheartedly of John le Griffe's assessment of the ethos, but it is fifty years since I left

Whatever might have changed in the interim, however, his hypothesis stands

The referee is the final arbitrary .. dementiaaahll!

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 22:09

I can't comment about local government, but in the 30 years of my experience, the addition of tiers of management has been solely down to political intervention with every successive junior minister coming up with their latest stupid wheeze in order, not to improve operations but to make themselves a name. Invariably they last a year and then the next one drops the last lot of changes to start their own, introducing their own new bunch of chiefs while shedding more Indians.

If you can find a single civil servant who thinks this works or makes their lives easier I'll be amazed.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 22:31

Well there has to be somewhere to employ the ex: miners, ship builders, steel workers, etc

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 11:55

Rich W is correct. I and some others, many remained silent, long argued that there were too many layers of management, with no idea hoe things worked. Just,as Rich says, so that they could make a name for themselves and then leaving the chaos that they caused after a year or so.

Current Page: 5 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net