Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Noose review.
Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 14:07

Right, so you don't mean legitimate image right payments.

You mean the stuff Saracens have been relegated for because it is illegal and the stuff, again, explicitly dealt with in the report.

Just read it. You'll like it. It slams Saracens constantly, explains lots and offers practical actual solutions. It will explain why what you want to happen couldn't under current rules but how he wants to change the rules so that everything you have mentioned could happen in future.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 18:02

Quote:
SK 88
Right, so you don't mean legitimate image right payments.
You mean the stuff Saracens have been relegated for because it is illegal and the stuff, again, explicitly dealt with in the report.

Just read it. You'll like it. It slams Saracens constantly, explains lots and offers practical actual solutions. It will explain why what you want to happen couldn't under current rules but how he wants to change the rules so that everything you have mentioned could happen in future.

Understand the intent, just have zero confidence it will happen.
Lip service is all you'll get unless the game as a whole accepts it needs to change. Not likely. Imv.

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 12:27

Quote:
SK 88

Exactly.

As a Saracens supporter, I think it's an excellent report and I really hope that PRL accept all or the vast majority (like you I think there are issues with a couple of suggestions) of the Myners report.

I'd also like the vote (unless unanimously in favour) to be disclosed so no vested interests can hide behind anonymity whether that is Saracens or any other club.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 16:57

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 17:37

I can absolutely see his position, particularly in light of the French and Irish sides spending more than the English clubs do already.

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 19:22

It was fairly widely reported in recent weeks that PRL discussed reducing the cap for the coming seasons. Three clubs opposed the idea; Bristol, Bath and Exeter Chiefs. I am sure it will be a surprise to many on here that Saracens were in the number supporting a reduction in cap ...

Quote:
Brownian Motion
I can absolutely see his position, particularly in light of the French and Irish sides spending more than the English clubs do already.

It's a tricky one. I'm firmly of the belief that the competitiveness of the Premiership versus the Pro14 and the salary cap versus the Top14 puts the Premiership at a competitive disadvantage. I'd like to think that if the Myners report is taken up we might one day get to a stage of transparency where we could run a Premiership capped League alongside teams that can afford it putting forward uncapped (financially) teams to compete at the top level in Europe.

I'm not sure how that would work though, any ideas? You couldn't afford to have players just for the European games so maybe you'd have to make a commitment working out an average salary per game figure for players and then only commiting them to a set number of Premiership games even before the European competitions start?

Posted by: tbtb (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 09:15

No surprise that Saracens would vote to decrease the cap, as since they were cheating it anyway it would put them at an even greater advantage, without having to spend any more money.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 09:52

How would that work?

No surprise about Bristol although I do find Lansdown's comment rather amusing
"now is not the time to take a step back and stifle progress" - why not?
Now is a unprecedented time, if ever a time is to take a step back it is now.

In previous seasons they might not have spent up to the cap but paying player 1,000,000 and 500,000 drives up the global market price.

I understand the contractual side of things but to window dress it as being best for the league is pretty laughable.

"The Premiership is the best rugby competition on the planet. Removing the best talent would dilute the appeal and impact on its ability to compete in the global market."
So the question is, is that down to the cap making the league a more even playing field or money for big name players because now it's most likely getting to the stage where it will be a struggle to have both.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 09:56

Suggest they agree where they want to get to and then allow a period of say 2 seasons for the marquee players to be phased out.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 10:21

I would like all clubs to be able to spend close to any proposed cap, and then allow the richer clubs to use their funds for better training facilities, coaches, grounds, and promoting their fan base as advantages, rather than just being able to buy all the best players.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 12:07

There are always teams pushing to cut the cap to suit their ends. No surprise that these clubs have taken advantage of the current situation to push for a reduction, they always push for reductions just use different faux-justifications depending on circumstance.

If you don't want to spend the money then don't. Bedford don't spend money they don't have anymore and are perfectly content to be where they are. If you don't want to play with the big boys, then don't and let someone else have a go. But they won't do that because they are paranoid that if they let someone else have a go they will do it better and you will get stuck outside the PRL cartel.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 12:16

I would rather see the cap go up a bit more than have the 2 marquee players, I feel it just helps over-inflate value.

My personal wishes was a cap for all players outside of your academy.
Would include
- Players who played in your U18's
- Players under 23 who didn't play in any prem U18's earning below a certain amount (similar to current development squads)
Never happening but I can dream.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 12:39

Quote:
SK 88
There are always teams pushing to cut the cap to suit their ends. No surprise that these clubs have taken advantage of the current situation to push for a reduction, they always push for reductions just use different faux-justifications depending on circumstance.
If you don't want to spend the money then don't. Bedford don't spend money they don't have anymore and are perfectly content to be where they are. If you don't want to play with the big boys, then don't and let someone else have a go. But they won't do that because they are paranoid that if they let someone else have a go they will do it better and you will get stuck outside the PRL cartel.

While I agree with this - the problem as I see it is the PRL cartel. If you break that up then you don't have the problem clubs fearing they might get left out.

I know I'm preaching to the converted but the top of the game needs to becomes open to anyone - promotion must be possible for any club who wants it, relegation must not be a disater but a year in the Championship oughtn't to be a mere speed bump for the relegated team. And possibly most important the ownership of the Premiership should not be held, as it is, by 13 clubs whose [self-]interest is in strangling competition.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net